What are currents like in Cozumel?

murphyis1

We are doing a 2 reef snorkel trip with Eagle Ray Divers this month. I was recently in my local dive shop looking for some gear. The salesman asked where I was snorkeling and turned up his nose when he heard Cozumel. He said the currents are very strong and I got the impression that he thought I would be wasting my time and money. I have done shore snorkeling in Coz, but have never been out on a boat. Can anyone share their experiences? He has me worried that I'll be dragged out to sea!

The last time I dove there, on Planacor Caves and French Reef, the current was running about 1-2 knots. This was slow enough so I could flipper against the current and hold my position for photo ops.

You can see some of my photos for the Belieze/Cozumel trip. Link in my signature below. The Cozumel current was not bad at all.

You will love snorkeling in Cozumel with Eagle Ray. They take you to the differents reefs for different coral/fish/etc. and the "boat driver" and "observer" ALWAYS know where you are. I was alone (well, there were 2 other people with us, but they were much younger and much stronger swimmers - and I am a very strong swimmer!), but our guide always watched out for me, and if I lagged behind he would come back to me and show me what I might have missed earlier. The Eagle Rays are absolutely spectacular fish - yes, there are Eagle Rays and they are very shy, so to see them is special.

Go and have a great time.

The currents are highly variable from none to strong. As others have said if you snorkel from a boat the boat will come to you so it isn't really an issue. The realy issue is that Wilma really hurt the shallower reef areas so it won't be as good as in the past. However, it will still be good since sea life is still very present. I think perhaps the dive shop owner was trying to get you to get into a dive class...

I did a 2 tank dive with Eagle Ray last year, both drift dives and had an awsome time. My wife and our friends snorkeled at the same time off the same boat. None of them, even our friend Theresa, who was mildly afraid of the water and was snorkeling for the first time, said anything about the current. They will have a guide in the water with you, and the captain (and maybe a spotter if conditions warrent it) on the boat to keep an eye on you. My understanding is that they usually drop you off at one end of the reef, circle around and get yuo at the other end, and you just drift to them.

Archived