solo with kids?

LDinCT

Sailing on the Explorer Bermuda itin with DS(12) in a couple of weeks. Leaving DH home. I don't need any special letter or anything. I remember when I took him to Mexico alone I was advised to get one, not that they ever asked for it. Also, birth certificates are ok for Bermuda right, our passports have expired and no time to renew them now. Will work on that for late summer cruise, but the require both parents in person to renew a kids, not very convenient.

bump - anyone traveling with kids without spouse? I always see info about divorced parents requiring documentation. Don't know how they would know you are divorced. I've traveled many times solo with son, no one has ever given me a hard time.

I really think you need to get this info directly from the cruise line. With all the issues with child abduction, etc, there are stricter parameters these days. It is really easy to have your spouse sign the form and have it notarized than to have real problems at check in.

As a TA, I always advise a parent travelling alone with a child to bring the form. An ounce of prevention....

Sailing on the Explorer Bermuda itin with DS(12) in a couple of weeks. Leaving DH home. I don't need any special letter or anything. I remember when I took him to Mexico alone I was advised to get one, not that they ever asked for it. Also, birth certificates are ok for Bermuda right, our passports have expired and no time to renew them now. Will work on that for late summer cruise, but the require both parents in person to renew a kids, not very convenient.

It is required by Federal law and enforced by Immigration. You must present a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent giving permission to remove the child from the country if/when you are asked. You can be denied boarding at the pier if, when asked, you cannot provide it and upon return, Immigration will make a lot of problems for you. They call out a certain percentage of passengers on every cruise to meet in one of the lounges and they check everything. Do yourself a favor and be prepared. It is always the travelers responsibility to possess all requied documents for international travel. It is not the cruise lines nor the travel agent nor the PVP. It is squarely upon the traveler. Read the U.S. State Department website about traveling with minor children.

The issue isn't whether you are divorced or not. They do know that a child has 2 parents. If one is absent they require you to have permission from the absent parent, they also require a death certificate if the other parent is deseased.

Archived