booking a babysitter on RCCL?

Has anyone here booked a sitter thru RCCL? I am thinking about getting a sitter for a night or two so we can go out dancing or something. What are the policies? Do you have to book ASAP when you board the ship or can you book someone the day before? Also, does anyone know what the cancellation policy is if I book someone and end up cancelling?

Thanks,

Karen

We have cruised a lot on RCCL and usually it's best to book a baby sitter as soon as you figure out what nights. How old is your child? If he/she is over 3 and potty trained, you can send him/her to the kid's club. Otherwise, I would book as soon as you get on the ship, especially if you are wanting one for the formal nights, because they tend to fill up fast. It is usually a crew member that is looking to make a few extra dollars. We have had great experiences with them. It is a little bit pricey, but definitely worth it. Last time we used one was about five years ago and it was $8 an hour. I don't know about the cancellation policy.

I guess I can all ahead and ask on the fees and cancellation - good idea to book the formal nights - had not thought about that. My son will be 18 months when we cruise so he is too young for camp (all of his cousins who are older will be there except maybe the 3 year old) and I thought it would be nice to have a meal or two with out him.

thanks!

Ira - I believe that anyone who travels is charged the full fare (unless of course, they're the 3rd/4th passenger). But they pay the same if they're 7 months, 7 years, or 70. I think I've heard Disney offers reduced fares for babies/toddlers, and maybe one other cruise line. But not RCCL!

Haven't used a babysitter in a few years, but when I did I just picked a few nites and went to purser's desk the 1st day and put in my request. I did have to cancel a few and it was no problem. We had the same person all week on the 3 cruises we used this service.

Babysitting

Group sitting is available on all ships and is supervised by the youth staff. The service is offered from 10:00 pm-1:00 am each evening in the youth facilities. Children must be three years of age, potty trained and pull-up and diaper free to enter the youth facilities and participate in activities. The rate is $5 per hour per child.

In-stateroom sitting must be booked through the Purser's/Guest Relations Desk at least 24 hours in advance. It cannot be booked prior to the cruise vacation, and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered from 8:00 am until 2:00 am. Children must be at least one year old. Approximate rate: $8/hour for one or two children within the same family or $10/hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash

Archived