Xcaret and Xel/Ha sunscreen list...

solita

Here is the list of "bad" ingrediants in sunscreen that Xcaret and Xel/Ha have forbidden in the park:

methoxycnnamate

salicylante doctyle

oxybenzone

octinoxate

ethylhexyl

So check your sunscreen. If yours contains one or more of those ingrediants, do not bring it to the park. Sometimes, the park will check your bags and take your sunscreen from you (you claim it on the way out). And they may or may not have samples of the kind they sell if they take yours.

After a quick overnight trip, I was emptying out my bag and found an unopened packet of the sunscreen they hand out in Xcaret. I'll type the package (English part only - it is in both Spanish & English) word for word.

Front:

Body Cream Biodegradable Sunblock

Coral (brand name)

FPS 30 For Sensitive or Very White Skin

Recommended by the best Ecological Parks

Xcaret Xel-Ha garrafan isla mujeres

Con. Net. 7.5 ml

Muestra No Negociable

Back:

Coral SPF 30 is a sunscreen specifically designed to protect you from the harmful effects of the sun rays tha cause skin damage, whiole at the same time preserving the environment due to its biodegradable ingredietns. Following instructions correctly, Coral SPF 30 will allow you to remain under the sun 300 times longer compared to no protection all. Directions: For best results apply genberously 20 minutes in advance to areas that will be exposed directly or indirectly to the sun . Reapply after being in the water for 60 minutes, in case of excessive eprspiration or after drying with a towel. Warning: For external use only. Contact with eyes may cause irritation. Discontinue use if signs of irritatojn or rash develop. Consult physician for use on infants under 6 mos old. SPF 30 = Sun Protection Factor Ingreditents: Purified Water,Titanium Dioxide/ alumina/simethicone, Cetearyl alcohol/Dicetyl phosphate/ Ceteth-10 Phosphate, PPG-3-Benzyl Eter Miristate, Teobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Zinc Oxide, Cetearyl Ethylexanoate, AcetamideMEA/Lactamide MEA, Oleth-10, Oleth-5, Glycerin/Butylene Glycol/Water/Chamomilia/Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Fragrance, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol.

Marca Registrada/Trademark Hecho en Mexico por: Laboratorios Dermatologicos Darier, S.A. de C.V. Av. de los 50 Metros No. 402, c/vac, jIUTEPEC, mORELOS, c.p. 61500 mEXICO WWW.DARIER.COM.MX

This is really helpful Solita. Sometimes just saying "environmentally friendly" isn't enough...I am checking all my sunscreen today.

You are most welcome.

The line to check sunscreen in at the front desk at the park can get very long. Visitors can prevent having to stand in it if you just don't bring any with those ingrediants or leave the "bad stuff" with your tour guide or on the bus. Besides it is nice to know that you won't be killing or harming the marine life!

• 2 months later...

MommaParrot, the sunscreen you mentioned has PABA in it. I believe someone mentioned that is not allowed either. Does anyone know positively if that Aubrey Sunscreen is allowed in Xcaret??

We are going in December and trying to decide if I should try to get a biodegradable or go without.

Archived