What time to they let you board the ship? Also, question about ship coming back

stitch78

Carnival said that they would do a different customs and let us carry our luggage off the ship as early as 7AM.

I'm sorry, but Carnival has NOTHING to do with customs. Carnival can NOT let you off the ship until customs/immigration clears the ship. No amount of begging, pleading or arguing will change that.

IF customs clears the ship before 7 am, then yes, Carnival can let you off as early as 7 am. Note that they said "as early" as 7 am. They did not say they would absolutely let you off at 7 am.

Also, when you call Carnival, you can get 5 different answers to the same question, depending on who you get connected to. Just be aware that the representatives that answer the phone at Carnival have no control over when passengers are let off the ship.

You don't seem to like our answers, but we are experienced cruisers offering you information, which you asked us for. If you are willing to risk that early flight, go for it, but those of us who have been through debarkation procedures are letting you know that there is a very good chance you will not make the flight.

Remember, even if you get to the airport early, you still have to stand in line to check your bags, then get through customs at the airport.

Best of luck to you! :)

I called Carnival back. Apparently whatever moroon told me we can get off the ship and make it to our flight when I originally asked, was mistaken. So I can write a bad review about the moron who originally told me that !

Calling airline.....

Stitch78, seriously man, When we call a Carnival PVP we all get different answers to the same questions, and although I only book directly with Carnival and deal with some good PVP, There are also alot of newbies that work there and that don't know the answers and are afraid to ask their supervisors. Only on Cruise Critic from actual passengers will you be properly informed. A total of a ton of us on here said don't do it because we all know what will be the out come. Im surely glad you are calling now.

Fred

Oops, I didn't see your post about calling the airline until after I posted my above answer. Good for you! Even if you have to pay extra for a later flight, it will be well worth it not to have to worry and stress over that early flight.

Oops, I didn't see your post about calling the airline until after I posted my above answer. Good for you! Even if you have to pay extra for a later flight, it will be well worth it not to have to worry and stress over that early flight.

Thanks for the info. I blame this on my husband. I was thinking that's too early but he swore up and down that's plenty of time. I think the next flight was more expensive or left much later (at 4PM or 8 or something) so he swore to take this one. Well, I would have rather either taken the later one or paid extra $100.

I called the airline and it looks like we will have to do stand by. To confirm a flight will cost extra $500. Our original flight was only $300 total for both of us. $800 for a flight is crazy. DH says he has flown stand by and has always gotten on the plane, if not the first choice flight but the next one.

Of course not sure if I should be listening to my husband right now..... :cool:

Good luck Stitch... at least you know now. You may very well make it, but you may not. I fly standby quite often, not always lucky on heavy travel days, but I usually get where I'm going eventually, LOL! Best of luck to you, hoping you make that early flight!!!!

OOPS, Didn't mean to call you a man when I Said "Seriously Man" it should of been "Seriously Woman" lol.

My point is that I would rather pay the extra 50.00 or so dollars and fly straight into Miami, it will probably cost the same with having to pay to commute down to Miami. Just to save alittle and then having to pay more to drive down.

Where are you flying from Stitich?

Also what time frame are we talking about? if its a holiday weekend or Spring Break forget the Standby there isn't any, all flights are sold out.

Good luck Stitch... at least you know now. You may very well make it, but you may not. I fly standby quite often, not always lucky on heavy travel days, but I usually get where I'm going eventually, LOL! Best of luck to you, hoping you make that early flight!!!!

Yeah I guess I should plan for a long day at Miami International.

Well, our flight coming in is at least early - hopefully without delays *cross fingers*

OOPS, Didn't mean to call you a man when I Said "Seriously Man" it should of been "Seriously Woman" lol.

My point is that I would rather pay the extra 50.00 or so dollars and fly straight into Miami, it will probably cost the same with having to pay to commute down to Miami. Just to save alittle and then having to pay more to drive down.

Well, kinda late since the flight is in two days. Probably would cost way more than $50 now! I think we were planning on doing the Carnival transportation for really cheap but now have heard their transportation is horrible that you have to wait forever and don't even get to get to the boat until later.

Where are you flying from Stitich?

Washington, DC

Also what time frame are we talking about? if its a holiday weekend or Spring Break forget the Standby there isn't any, all flights are sold out.

Next weekend. Crap, Fathers Day. Is that a big holiday that a lot of travelling occurs?

We did that on our last cruise and did not like having to come a day early, pay for a hotel room, adn be bored for a day. Already been to Miami - hate the city.

Ok

There is lots to do in Miami. Have you been down to South Beach? Lots to do down there. And great people watching:D

2) After the cruise, our flight leaves just 1.5 hours after the scheduled arrival time of the boat. Boat gets in at 8:00 AM and plane leaves at 9:30 from Miami Airport. I heard we can let Carnival know so we can get off the boat as early as 7:30AM. Then would a cab probably be the fastest way to the airport?

Planning on swimming the last bit? ;) j/k

9:30 is way too early. You need to get a later flight. What is the point of going on a relaxing cruise, only to start freaking about making your flight home?

There is lots to do in Miami. Have you been down to South Beach? Lots to do down there. And great people watching:D

Remember my Live from Miami Review !!! WOW what an Awesome time !!!

Bayside Market

South Beach

South Beach Art Deco District

Miami Ink Tattoo Shop

Versailles Cuban Resturant

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Driving that small strip MacArthur Cswy

WOW I want to go back now !!!!:eek:

[quote name='stitch78']I called the airline and it looks like we will have to do stand by. To confirm a flight will cost extra $500. Our original flight was only $300 total for both of us. $800 for a flight is crazy. DH says he has flown stand by and has always gotten on the plane, if not the first choice flight but the next one.

Of course not sure if I should be listening to my husband right now..... :cool:[/quote]

I hate to break it to you. The last time I missed a flight (which happened to be an 11:40 flight coming off a cruise in Miami) there was only 1 seat left available - the entire day - to get me home, if I'd been traveling with somebody else we would've been SOL. There were lots of other people flying standby that day on flights to different destinations, and very few cleared the lists. I would be paying that $500 to make sure you get a flight home that day. If you really didn't like Miami, you're going to hate it even more when you miss your flight and can't get home that day. How much is a last minute hotel, transportation, and food going to cost, assuming that a hotel is available?

[quote name='stitch78']I emailed Carnival and they said we had to provide the proper documentation showing we had an early flight and said we could leave.[/quote]

[B]That's true - but if the ship is late arriving or if customs/immigration hold up anything....early flyers are in deep stuff![/B]

[quote name='stitch78']1. Was there a reason why you couldn't fly into Miami?

We choose the cheapest flight and it only went to FLL.

2. Its recommend to fly in the day before due to Aircraft problems and or delays and cancellations.

We did that on our last cruise and did not like having to come a day early, pay for a hotel room, adn be bored for a day. Already been to Miami - hate the city.

3. You will surely miss that 9:30am flight, Boarding starts at 9am, Luggages should be checked in by 8:30am, then you have Security and a long long walk to your gate. I would change the times on that flight now.

Carnival said that they would do a different customs and let us carry our luggage off the ship as early as 7AM.

4. Fastest way to the airport is via Cab.

Thx.

5. Please don't blame Carnival in your review when you miss your flight. I don't know anyone thats made a 9:30am flight.

Ok[/quote]

[B]Cruiser, you are not going to make that flight. Best bet is to pay the change fee and select a later flight. When you miss the flight, you will have to pay more at the airport. As you probably know, the airlines don't give a rat why you missed the flight - it is gonna be your fault with them. In addition, check-in time for domestic flights is 1 hour to 90 minutes prior to flight time depending upon the carrier. And, even if you make the airport and get through the check-in/security - the carrier will probably have cut the flight off and given your seats away. Most airlines close the flight 30 minutes prior to flight time now and board standby's.[/B]

[B]Do yourself a favor, spend the bucks and change your return.[/B]

[B]And, please, if you don't change it and miss your flight, don't smash Carnival. If you read their information, they suggest you do not schedule flights until 200PM. There are valid reasons for that.[/B]
[B]Once the ship has docked, Carnival has no control over the debarking process.[/B]

[B]Good luck![/B]

Stitch, any chance of staying in Miami an extra day (the day your cruise comes in) and going on a cheaper flight the next day? It might save you money in the long run, if it's possible with work and/or school obligations.

If you could find a hotel (maybe difficult at this late date, I don't know) for $100 to $150, if you didn't go too overboard with expensive meals it would still be cheaper than the extra $500 for the later flight. Of course, that would also depend on whether there was a cheaper flight available the next day. A lot of "ifs", but might be worth checking. Good luck! :)

Sounds like maybe you're on the Triumph tomorrow? We have a little group in the roll call section meeting up on the ship tomorrow. My daughter and I will be there. No flight issues for us, we live in South Florida and love it so we can drive. Good luck with getting a new flight, hope it works out that's for sure!

TaraM

We can't afford a $500 cost to change our flight. Simply do not have the money. They said that if we miss our flight we can just do stand by the next one.

We can't stay in Miami an extra day because we are not flying home. We are flying to another city to visit family. We already have a hotel room booked there.

"When you miss the flight, you will have to pay more at the airport. "
No, they said if you miss and do standby there is no extra charge.

I never said I was going to smash Carnival? Why does everyone keep telling me not to?

[quote name='taram']Sounds like maybe you're on the Triumph tomorrow? We have a little group in the roll call section meeting up on the ship tomorrow. My daughter and I will be there. No flight issues for us, we live in South Florida and love it so we can drive. Good luck with getting a new flight, hope it works out that's for sure!

TaraM[/quote]

Nope, Elation on Sunday. Have fun on your cruise!

Archived