Fishing Buddies & Info Needed

donrick1

I really would like to do some fishing in St. Lucia or St. Kitts. I need info and help from someone who has either booked a trip or has fished around those Islands.....

I certainly would like to try our luck at Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna or Mahi Mahi. Anything bigger than a "bluegill"....LOL!!!

Can anyone help out with info, prices, etc.

We will be on the Legend Cruise 03/16/2007....

Thanks for the input!

Rick

• 5 months later...

Book with Hackshaws

Here is my review of our trip with them last week

I have just returned from a 2 week Caribbean cruse where we visited St Lucia for just one day.

Before we went I surfed the Internet to find which Island would give us the best chance of catching and also a good skipper. After much research I decided that St Lucia would give us the best chance and Hackshaws fishing charters came well recommended so I book up with them a full days fishing on the 19th November.

The trip cost us a reasonable $700 that was split between 3 of us fishermen.

Due to the fact that you are in deep water after just 10 minuets of cruising we were fishing right from the moment we left the port.

We boarded the boat at 9am and I knew immediately that we made the right choice to charter the boat from Hackshaws. We had a huge boat to just the three of us fishermen and four members of staff to look after us for the day.

We all felt like we were in paradise as we cruised the Caribbean sea in search of Marlin, Tuna, Dorado and Sailfish while we soaked up the sun, slurped down the beer, listened to the music that was pumping from the boats superb sound system and watched pods of Dolphins all around the boat (If felt like we were in heaven).

We spent the first 7 hours cruising around the ocean taking 20 minuet turns in the fighting chair while the deck hand (I am ashamed to admit I have already forgotten his name but I think it was Kevin) worked hard and did all he could to try to catch us some fish.

After several hours a report came in on the radio of one local boat having lost a good Sailfish and another landing two fish but it was unclear as to weather the fish were both Marlin, Sailfish or one of each.

This news boosted our somewhat dwindling confidence as we had still not even seen a fish.

A short while passed and all of a sudden one of the lines popped from the out rigger and we were into a fish. It didn't take long for us to realise that it was not a bill fish but never the less it was a very long awaited fish of some description and we were all wearing smiles from ear to ear. Unfortunately the smiles were soon wiped from our faces when the line went slack and we realised we had lost our only fish of the day so far.

We re-baited recast the rods and cracked open yet another beer.

By four O'Clock our hopes were fast falling as we realised we had only an hours fishing left and if we did hook into a good marlin our chances of landing it and getting back to the cruise ship before it departed at 5.30pm without us were very slim.

Kevin the deck hand was so eager to ensure that we catch at least a Tuna so he decided to change the Marlin rigs for smaller Tuna rigs instead and we continued to fish on.

After just a few minuets of making the switch to smaller lighter gear a shout rang out from the guys on the top deck that they had spotted a Marlin behind the baits.

I was just climbing into the fighting chair as the fish was spotted and I sat there shaking in anticipation. All of a sudden one of the Tuna rods hooped over and the reel started to scream. Kevin made a grab for the rod and wound down tight, lifted into the fish and then passed the rod on the me.

At last I was realising a life long dream and was fighting a Marlin.

After 15-20 minuets of fighting this huge fish we got our first glimpse of the magnificent creature as it lept clear of the water several times.

What a feeling!

By now I was feeling worn out and ringing wet with the sweat that was pouring from every part of my body.

I got out of the chair and let one of my fishing Buddy's take over the fight.

There were more shouts of Marlin as another Two Marlin appeared behind the boat.

I looked at my watch and realised that it was now 4.30pm and we had under an hour to land the fish that seemed no where near ready and get back to our Cruise ship.

After another 15-20 minuets the Marlin had been tamed and was brought along the back of the boat and was ready to be lifted aboard so we could get some photographs, Tag and release the fish. As one of the crew grasped the leader and tried to take control of the fish the line went slack and we realised that the hook had broken on the bend and the Marlin was gone.

I didn't mind one bit as I would have been happy just to see a Marlin let alone catch one.

Once again I looked at my watch and realised that we now had only 40 minuets to get back to port and catch our Cruise ship.

On our way back to port the guys estimated the Marlin to be around 200lb.

My only disappointment was the fact that we had such limited time in St Lucia and that we cloud not have continued to fish on for longer as more Marlin were starting to appear.

In all I would have still enjoyed the trip even if we had not caught a thing due to the very friendly staff and their superb hospitality.

I would highly recommend to anyone who is thinking of fishing in St Lucia to book up a full day with Hackshaws charters. If you don't catch you will still have a super enjoyable time.

Just be sure to start out with the correct attitude and keep in mind that to catch a fish can never be guaranteed and you simply wont be disappointed. After all "Thats why the sport is called Fishing and not Catching."

Check out this web page and get yourself booked in you wont regret it.

http://www.hackshaws.com/

Archived