Clothing for Fll to Valpariso & other Tips?

TarheelCruzer

Have just booked Celebrity "Infinity" for November 19th Ft. Lauderdale to Valpariso and would love to get advice on clothing requirements. We are assuming that Southern Hemisphere in Nov. will be warm like Carribean/Panama canal transit, No?? ALso, this is first time on Millennium class ship and have booked a CC balcony on Port side Panaroma deck with the thought that Port would offer best views going South down the coast. Are using Celibrity Air which for $450 we didn't think could be beat, but don't have any idea what the itinerary/connections will be out of Charlotte, NC. Any tips on ship or sailing/air tinerary would be much appreciated

Have just booked Celebrity "Infinity" for November 19th Ft. Lauderdale to Valpariso and would love to get advice on clothing requirements. We are assuming that Southern Hemisphere in Nov. will be warm like Carribean/Panama canal transit, No??

It will be much cooler than you think south of Manta Equator, the water is very cold due to the Humboldt Current. Callao Peru, Arica, Chile, Valparaiso, Chile all will be cool not cold but it will be cold on your balcony. You will love this trip as it is one of my favorites.:cool:

You are going to love this trip. We did it in 2005 but stayed ont he ship and continued on to Buenos Areis. Plus the Infinity is a wonderful ship!

Between Florida and Valpariso the temp are warm. It only starts getting cool after you head south from Valparaiso. For all of our shore excursions Between Ft Lauderdale & Valparaiso I wore shorts. In Manta, Lima, & Arica it is downright HOT.

I found terrific companies who privided us with private shore excursions that were wonderful and way better than what the ship was offering + for less $$$.

If you want the names e-mail me ann @ century 21 vancouver . com

In Peru we stayed ahead of the ships tour buses for the hole day! In Arica as we had a small mini bus we could go up over the desert sand duens from 1 valley to the next which the big tour buses could not do.

It was probably my favorite cruise to date and we have done quite a few.

I have never been to South America. I am traveling with my girlfriend (former co-worker) who recently had back surgery. I was reading about the excursions being rough, bouncy, with much walking. I'm guessing my friend won't be able to go on anything other than the city tours on paved roads. Even the train ride said it's rough. I wanted to see the penguins, but again, the roads sound bad and the walk to the viewing area was described and rocky and uneven.

Any viewpoints on this? Her back is quite tender, as surgery was only 9 months ago. We will be there in March 07.

I figured on this cruise we'd buy spa packages and spend much time on the ship instead of on excursions.

Any particular port where we can see parrots? I have 4 parrots and they are my favorite to visit in foreign countries!

Hi 7Seas - This is our first to SA also. Are you Cruising the Nov. 19th Ft. Lauderdale to Valpariso trip that we are on?? From your earlier post regarding being only 100+ miles from antarctic and I had assumed you were on the continuation of Infinity's cruise from Valpariso, around the "Horn", to Buenos Aires, and that 's why you forecast such cool weather. If you are on our cruise, we would be interested in possibly hooking up with you for some excursions using independent tour operators. I have a couple of very bad knees that prevent me from too much extended walking and I find stairs somewhat difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Cruzin2some,

I am also booked on your cruise, although we may cancel (posted on the roll call). I have taken 2 South American cruises, but have never been through the Canal. Thought this might be a good cruise to take, as I have to be in Chile on or before Dec. 6 anyway for business. I go 4 times per year for business to Chile, Ecuador and Peru.

Clothing-MOST of the cruise will be in very warm, humid weather. As someone posted, once we get south of Columbia, it will get slightly cooler. However, as we are heading into South American winter, it won't vary much, although there will be less humidity. It will be cool on the ocean, so light jackets are in order.

I really hope we get to go. DH does not want to stay in South America after the cruise while I conduct business. So we talked our friends into going with us so he would have company. They will fly to Lima/Cusco and I will meet up with them in Cusco. However, we are not finding reasonable air for them and they are balking at the air cost. No agency I contacted (online, local TA and *****) had cheap air for that cruise. Must have been limited to certain people or groups.

Hopefully we will make it. I already cancelled our QE2 through the Canal and now that cruise is full. I did want to see the Canal this year.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Greatam -

Hope you make it on the cruise -thanks for the weather/clothing tips. As we get closer we may try to hook up with several other twosomes or singles and share some guided travel at a couple of the ports. May try to stay over a couple of days extra in Valpariso/Santiago before flying home.

Have you cruised Cunard before? and what was your experience? We have considered a QM2 cruise but have heard such mixed reviews we haven't finalized one.

HI Greatam -

Hope you make it on the cruise -thanks for the weather/clothing tips. As we get closer we may try to hook up with several other twosomes or singles and share some guided travel at a couple of the ports. May try to stay over a couple of days extra in Valpariso/Santiago before flying home.

Have you cruised Cunard before? and what was your experience? We have considered a QM2 cruise but have heard such mixed reviews we haven't finalized one.

Still haven't found air for our friends. Will give it until July 25, then decide.

Yes, we hve done QE2 transatlantic 2 times and have the third booked for this January. That cruise continues through the Canal and we had booked that segment but then cancelled when I found out about the Infinity cruise. The Infinity fits my work schedule better, as I have to fly to Chile otherwise. I heard Cunard will open up some cabins through the Canal sometime this month, after all the World Cruiser's are accommodated. So if we have to cancel the Infinity, we will book one of those cabins, if available.

I absolutely LOVE the QE2. Old time, very traditional cruising, with service and food to match. Not a lot of glitz, but cruising the North Atlantic in December/January on a ship that was made for that very purpose is truly an experience I treasure. Not for a lot of people, but I love the 4 formal nights, the cool and sometimes very rough ocean, the lectures, and the passengers.

Archived