Disembarking-Time to LAX

CL2 Mermaid

We are first time cruisers and our ship is scheduled for disembarcation on a Sunday, 8 AM. How much time should we allow to collect luggage, pass customs and get a cab or van to LAX? How long will it take to get to LAX?

Thank you for any information you might be able to provide.

The drive time to LAX is not that long, especially on a Sunday morning. Probably around 30 minutes or so. Cabs are usually readily available or you can pre-arrange a shuttle.

But....the disembarkation and going through customs may take longer than you anticipate. If you are looking for an early flight, don't book before 11am and even then make sure you ask for early disembarkation colored tags. Also, if you do ask for early off tags, make sure your cabin attendant knows this in advance (see below).

We have gotten off at San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles) as early as 8:30 am and as late as 10:30 am. We have breezed through customs in 15 minutes and we have stood lin line for almost an hour a couple of times. We have found our luggage in mere seconds, but once we had to wait 45 minutes for it (they had off loaded it with our regular tag color section, we had requested an early off) If your port is Long Beach, it's really not much farther away from LAX, maybe 5 miles or so.

Another alternative is Long Beach Airport, if you can find a good airfare to there. The airport is a little closer to port and much smaller, we opt to fly out of there if we can avoid LAX.

I hope this helps a bit, I know it is as clear as mud. Bottom line, always leave a cushion of time and take a good book.

If you are trying to book a flight, a good rule of thumb is to not book a flight less than 4 hours after your ship is scheduled to start disembarking. So if your ship is scheduled to arrive at 8am, don't book a flight before noon.

The advice you have been given is great. I would plan to get a flight at 12:00 Noon or later. Yes, some people have succeeded getting a flight at 11:00 AM but there are just too many variables. First, is the precise time you will get off the ship which will vary depending on arrival time, customs time, etc. The second is any delays in your transporation picking you up in time and third are the lines you can encounter at LAX. For LAX it is recommended that you get there 2 hours before your flight. The last two times I have flown out of there it has been a mad house.

Finally, we arrive in San Pedro a couple of months ago and there were cabs there but not as many as I would have expected so you could be lucky and get one on the spot or you could wait for a while.

I would either make arrangements for a van or for a town car. We used execucar service last time (they are affiliated with super shuttle) and I think we paid around $50.00 But, as soon as we got off the ship the car was there and the convenience was great.

Keith

Thank you all for the information, it was most helpful. Our flight to San Francisco was changed making the time turn around rather tight. Your helpful advice will help us plan for our cruise and visit to the Bay Area.

When I sailed out of LA, the person I was traveling with had an emergency and needed to try to get on an earlier flight. We were in line at 6am to be the first people off the ship in the express group (carry your own bags off). We were off the ship by around 7am and on our way to the airport by 7:15. We got to the airport around 8am and tried to find a different flight, which wasn't possible as all flights that day on every airline were full or overbooked. We were in line for security by 8:30 and it was 10:00am before we made it through.

Archived