Need Tips for Tulum

slukas

Bring bottled water with you. You'll also need sunscreen because there's little or no shade available. Hats are optional. Wear sneakers or sturdy sandals.

There is a very small beach at the bottom of a cliff that you're allowed to climb down onto via a staircase but it's not worth toting beach gear along for it. The day we were there people were packed like sardines onto it. Most were standing or wading in the water and the water was all murky because it was all stirred up from the people in it.

Definitely bring a camera!

I know this is going to sound terrible. I went to the tulum ruins last august and I hated every minute of it.It was very hot. (bring your suits) I guess I just got bored.It was beautiful over looking the caribbean sea. Bring plenty of sunscreen and water. It was so hot my legs were sweating. There is a shopping area there with some places to eat. The sea there is beautiful.

On our excursion to Tulum we brought a video camera. You have to pay a $5 fee to take a video camera into the site, and you have to wait in a long, slow line to pay the fee.

The interior of the site is extremely hot and humid, as noted above.

Once you walk up the hill to the main pyramid, there is a nice sea breeze and a beautiful view.

The excursion buses to and from the site are air conditioned and comfortable. The Mexican highway is paved and straight as an arrow through miles of scrub jungle, but it can still be a little bumpy, as Mexican highways are. If anyone in your group is subject to motion sickness, they would do well to take precautions.

The charge for the video camera is now $3 US and your tour guide will handle it for you very fast. It is a government tax. Regular cameras are free. No professional video cameras or tripods allowed.

Thanks for the input! My daughters and I are looking forward to seeing the ruins - even if it is hot.

cozgal, Linda & Cruising Lions- we will each take bottled water - do you suggest more than 1 each? I don't think I would trust refilling them during the excursion.

sam73 - I know it will be very hot - I think it will be ok if we're prepared (mentally as well!)

zyzygy & solita - we'll just bring our camera then - it takes short video images if we really want them (no sound).

slukas

Take one bottle each and reserve them for when you arrive at the ruins. Chances are you won't be drinking from them on your ride over. If you need more, you can also get bottled water at a little snack bar that's on the left as you enter the place. We bought bottled water there and were OK.

Whatever you do, don't buy any popsicles to cool down with. :eek: :D ;)

Whatever you do, don't buy any popsicles to cool down with. :eek: :D ;)

I highly recommend the popsicles and the ice cream is great...Holanda is a very good brand as is Nestle. Ok, not as good as Blue Bell or Ben and Jerry´s but pretty darn yummy.

Archived