Tour in Skagway?

smariner

If were to recommend one tour from the Skagway port, which one would that be? Instead, is it better to rent a car & drive around?

We'll be travelling with my parents & our family will be visiting Alaska for the first time (on a cruise ship). Prefer not spending more than $200 per person.

I second the White Pass Yukon Railroad tour. It is absolutely amazing. The scenery is breathtaking. Last year we saw waterfalls that were at least 200' tall--all from meltin snow. We are going again next year and plant to take the same tour. There are tours that take the train both ways or the train one way and bus the other. We were on the one that took the train both ways and the tour did a little hokey thing before----panning for gold at the Klondike Gold something or other. It was fun too. I guess all tours don't do that, but it was something different and gave a perspective of how gold was mined.

I hope you enjoy your Alaska trip. It was our favorite cruise in over 50 cruises.

We took a bus tour through Frontier Excursions to the Yukon. It went as far as Emerald Lake and made many stops for taking pictures. We stopped at Carribou Crossing for lunch and to see the sled dogs and pet the puppies. The scenery was the most spectacular that I have ever seen. Our guide also told us all about the gold rush. The cost was $99/ person.

We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake. It was much cheaper than any excursion and we saw amazing scenery plus a bear and a porcupine on the side of the road. The road to Emerald Lake follows that same pass as the train but you can go a lot further than the train goes on the road.

We have done the train. I suppose, maybe if you have never done it and you are a big train fan? However, we just got back from Skagway and did the rental car thing. We paid $50 for the car and about $20 for gas and had an awesome time. There were six of us so it was economical as well. You can stop when you want to stop, or not. Take for instance, like when we saw a BEAR in the middle of the road and wanted to turn around to go back for more pictures....we could do that! Or, when the lake was so still and the sky was so clear it looked like a mirror and we wanted to stop for pictures... we could do that. You get the idea. There is a guide, I think it's Murray's guide, that does a great job of describing what you are seeing. I was our own tour guide as I had printed out the guide and read as we drove.

Whatever you decide....enjoy, it's beautiful!

Archived