On the Crown

I've heard claims of all degrees of lists on the Crown. I'm not an expert and surely it wasn't 30 or even 20 degrees. It was anybody's guess since they didn't tell us fully what happened. Yes it was a reef, not a sandbar as tv reported. Read the Gazatte on that one. Whatever the list is was noticable and awkward. And it was difficult walking. I think the point people are trying to get across is not the grounding itself but NCL's handling and near complete lack of feedback and info to the passengers. Accidents happen. Its how you handle them that matters most. But, most of the accounts I've read are accurate. Praise to the Tug Crews and the Port of Philly for a smooth embark/debark process. Food was so-so IMOH Hopefully, NCL will review and revamp their procedures after this one. I would like to go on another NCL ship like the Dawn sometime but personally, I'm through with the Crown.

I was on the cruise when the Bermuda pilot missed the chanel by about 25 feet, in rain and windy conditions, taking the Crown into port. It is so hard to believe what an absolute 'donkeys behind' a few of the passengers made of themselves. All they wanted was for NCL to give them a free cruise.

Our Grand Girls (age 7 & 11) were with us and they were amazed adults could be so crazy. The list was NOT even noticeable. The view was georgeous - and my advise is some people should really stay home.

Truth is, the crew made the day fun and exciting, and I really don't know where the few were that say they were not told fully what happened. We were informed completely. Didn't you hear the sad voice on the speakers, all during the day....this is your captain...and I mean ALL during the day.

When they opened the bars for free drinks, the drunks didn't know what the announcements were and didn't care how foolish they acted....never have I seen women, - and notice I did not use the term ladies - so drunk they could have been in deep "doo do" if any problem had actually occured.

Feedback has been wonderful and informative for me, from NCL. No problem!! Be sure you're not looking for anything to complain about, instead of enjoying "a chance of a lifetime." This was our 14th cruise, and we will use NCL, again....Stay home!!! Please.

I've heard claims of all degrees of lists on the Crown. I'm not an expert and surely it wasn't 30 or even 20 degrees. It was anybody's guess since they didn't tell us fully what happened. Yes it was a reef, not a sandbar as tv reported. Read the Gazatte on that one. Whatever the list is was noticable and awkward. And it was difficult walking. I think the point people are trying to get across is not the grounding itself but NCL's handling and near complete lack of feedback and info to the passengers. Accidents happen. Its how you handle them that matters most. But, most of the accounts I've read are accurate. Praise to the Tug Crews and the Port of Philly for a smooth embark/debark process. Food was so-so IMOH Hopefully, NCL will review and revamp their procedures after this one. I would like to go on another NCL ship like the Dawn sometime but personally, I'm through with the Crown.

Given the vast range of opinions on this, I think it's just personal perspective. How one looks at a situation. We're at sea! Things happen. Be savvy. Be prepared. I was on the Dawn out of NY when she had a fire in the kitchen at 2 a.m. We were fully briefed. We were on an Alaska cruise during a horrid sea storm and all the China in our China cabinet came crashing out and broke all over the living room. My bed moved several feet away from the wall. It was a big mess, but we were kept informed (and warned). Same thing on a cruise to Nova Scotia - really bad sea swells. Even the crew in the dining rooms were dropping trays and one actually fell.

I was also on a ship (not NCL :eek: ) and the captain made an announcement that we were skipping the inside passage (can't recall the reason). Well, there was darn near a mutiny. We had heard the call go out that the pax were meeting in the atrium to "demand" whatever it was they were demanding. We just finished our dinner, got up and went to our stateroom. Dunno what happened, but we DID see the inside passage.

We've had deaths, drunks, and rabble-rousers on board and yet always I've been informed... or at least felt informed. I think it's how each person wants to view something - you know the saying half empty or half full.

Thank goodness the Crown is fine and the situation remedied. I can't wait to sailing around South America on her!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Crown on the 6/18 cruise and on the way home from Bermuda - we lost power on the ship around 3:30 pm. The captain immediately made an announcement over the PA system what had happened. He kept updating us every 5 minutes until everything was back to normal. After all power was back he again told us it would not delay our return time home.

We all know that no matter what happens, there will always be disgruntled passengers - but luckily, the happy passengers always seem to outnumber the unhappy ones.

Archived