wetsuit for discover scuba diving?

kaikaixinxin

I am interested in discover scuba diving in Cozumel. We will be in Cozumel in Dec. It says that we can be taken 40 feet down under the water. Not sure how cold the water will be. Will we have to wear wetsuit? Or a piece of full body swimsuit will be good enough? Thanks.

You will not need a wetsuit. Just a swimsuit will be fine. I have a friend who is allergic to the neoprene in a wetsuit and he has dived to 90+ feet wearing only his suit and a T-shirt. If you get chilled easily, wear a T-shirt too.

You will not need a wetsuit. Just a swimsuit will be fine. I have a friend who is allergic to the neoprene in a wetsuit and he has dived to 90+ feet wearing only his suit and a T-shirt. If you get chilled easily, wear a T-shirt too.

I agree with 10X, but would recommend a T-Shirt regardless. You will be using rental gear (a BCD) which should fit fairly well. Sometimes it may move on you so I would suggest something on your upper body for comfort and to avoid rubbing directly on your bare skin.

We did a discover scuba in Nov 04 in Cozumel. I only wore a pair a shorts while my wife wore a 3mm suit. I do agree with the other posts to wear at least a t-shirt to prevent chafing. There was so much to see that the water temp was the least of my worries. We liked it so much that we got certified once we got back home.

Dave

I would find at least a shorty to wear for Discover Scuba. If you don't really have your bouyancy control down (and this is a skill that many people need years of practice for), you have more of a tendency to bump into things. Sometimes it's things you didn't even see or feel. A wetsuit can protect you from any number of stinging, biting, irritating things in the water.

Just my $.02 -- you don't NEED it, but you very well might WANT it.

Archived