Chilikoot yukon bus and trail excursion- any comments?

blueladybug

Can anyone tell me first hand the difference between the cruise ship (vision of the seas) Yukon Exploration and White pass scenic rainway excursion and booking directly wiht Chilikoot- Yukon bus and trail excursion. I know there is about a $20 difference, but would like to see if anyone has gone on these and any suggestions? Was it worth the price? Anyone see any wildlife animals on these tours? Bears, eagles, etc....

Thanks!:)

Hi we used Chilkoot charters in early May 2006 this train is a trip to Fraser and then by bus to Carcross etc it gave the best of both driver very informative and stopped explained etc

there are numerous train trips over the day and to either Fraaser or Bennett

we were there when the thaw hadnt started as such so we saw huge expanses of ice and even had light snow at one time right on the top of White Pass ... it was extremely beautiful ... animals will be out more so now onwards ... enjoy :) ann

If you are looking at the long(7 or 8 hour) Chilkoot excursion it goes all the way to Emerald Lake. Maybe check and see if the RCCL excursion does the same if of interest. We considered this excursion as it sounds like the best of both worlds(scenerary and train experience as well as sceneary along the highway), but decided to rent a car to get away from the crowds and save some $$.

We went with them on June 9 of this year. Was a great time. Ended up with a van with only 4 people in it. Had a very nice driver. We saw 2 black bears on the trip up to Emerald lake. Which is a beautiful lake. Would go with them again anytime I was there.

We did the Chilkoot Yukon excursion 5 days ago. We enjoyed it very much. Saw a bear, Emerald lake, had lunch in Carcross (sort of a touristy thing). The scenery was incredible. I would highly recommend it. The only downside was that Skagway was, in my opinion, the most charming looking town of all the ports and our ship was only there from 7am-5pm. We didn't get back from the tour until after 3pm so only had a little while to explore the town.

We did the Chilkoot Yukon excursion 5 days ago. We enjoyed it very much. Saw a bear, Emerald lake, had lunch in Carcross (sort of a touristy thing). The scenery was incredible. I would highly recommend it. The only downside was that Skagway was, in my opinion, the most charming looking town of all the ports and our ship was only there from 7am-5pm. We didn't get back from the tour until after 3pm so only had a little while to explore the town.

I was interested in the 7-hour Chilkoot rail/bus tour for next summer, but our ship doesn't arrive in Skagway until 8 a.m. After giving it some thought, that is probably a good thing, because I also want to explore the town a bit. I'm now thinking of starting out at the National Park Service Visitor Center, taking the 9:00 walking tour with a Park Ranger, and then taking the 3.5-hour rail/bus tour at noon. We'll just have to return to Skagway another time, rent a car, and drive to Emerald Lake!

Archived