Paris to villefrance

Narita

After time in Paris we cruise from Villefrance. We are considering the tgv and flying to Nice. Is the 5-6 hour trip mostly a blur from the train? or could we actually see some of the country side? I s flying best? Is there a slow train to see the countryside or is that a bad idea? thanks

After time in Paris we cruise from Villefrance. We are considering the tgv and flying to Nice. Is the 5-6 hour trip mostly a blur from the train? or could we actually see some of the country side? I s flying best? Is there a slow train to see the countryside or is that a bad idea? thanks

I love train travel in Europe and the TGV from Paris to Nice IMHO would be a great way to go.I would book first class,and be early as to be able to put your luggage at the end of the car your reservations are in(you can loop a cable through the bags as it will be easier than getting up and checking on them).You will be able to see the counrtyside and it is a nice relaxing way to go.You will not have to get to the airports,security lines then into the city etc.I believe there is a more local train from Paris,but not sure anymore.I am sorry I don't have the link for the TGV either.

You're trading an extra day in either Paris or Nice area for a day on a train.

My first reaction was it's a poor trade - but on reflection it can take 5hrs 40min by plane by the time you've fought with CDG. I'd definately take first.

Jeff

Is the 5-6 hour trip mostly a blur from the train? or could we actually see some of the country side?
Things close up - mainly ugly trackside equipment - are a blur at full speed. Things further away aren't a blur, but you do cover the ground much more quickly than in a car, so some sights are "blink and you miss it".

We've done this TGV trip twice..once with two kids in tow...my take...

it was worth the trip but you may need to be a little inisistent re the seats you are in (we had a set of four but it took a great deal of convincing to get the people in our window seats to move. (make sure your reservation has window seats on the top floor)

Not sure of when your trip is but we managed to glimpse some lovely chateaux and also numerous fields of sunflowers.

We have also done the local train and it was slow and agonising....lots of people fare dodging (we even had a second class passenger resident in the bathroom until the guards were coming thru..not my idea of a pleasant journey.she returned to her throne after the ticket check).

As far as comparing sightseeing...the TGV slowed often enough as it approached local villages etc to see things and being on the top of the carriage (other than lugging bags up steps was a BIG plus)...the local train was a single level carriage so in many parts of the journey we were below the land height and looked at dirt

Hope some of this helps...sorry can't compare with flights, 6 out of CDG and it has been stamped never again!

So thanks for the information regarding the rail journey from Paris to Nice. I was amused to have my feelings confirmed about CDG airport. I want to deal with the ineffiency b of that arena only went absolutely forced too. Its amazing.

Archived