Just back from Explorer June 2 - June 11

We just returned from our first cruise ever, it was also our honeymoon which made it extra special. We loved it. Below are somehighlights of our trip.

We had a balcony on the 9th deck. We had breakfast out there several mornings and Margarita pizza by moonlight. We loved it and will book any balcony gaurantee that comes our way.

The Explorer is beautiful and very clean. I did not notice signs of wear and tear, although I was not looking, I was drinking and talking with my wife and having a great time. The crew is constantly working hard to clean and polish everyday. They take great pride in this ship and it showed throughout the cruise.

The food was good to very good thoughout the ship. Some of our favorite dishes were the tiger shrimp appetizer, the indian curry and the steak oscar. My wife and I both thought Portofino was excellent but with such good food and great service in the dining room, I don't think its a must do.

The immigration process in San Juan is a slight bother, but one should expect it going in. I heard people getting really upset and complaining about it in line. After experiencing the luxury of a cruise vacation, complaining just didn't seem right. Just be happy and relax, its all good.

In St. Maarten we did the Lord Sheffield. The leeward seas were very rocky and we were unable to snorkel. It was kind of a let down, but the crew is very nice. Next time we'll rent a jeep and hit the beaches.

In St. Thomas we did Magen's bay. Beautiful.

Labadee is a fun beach day plain and simple. My one suggestion is that RCI take steps to ensure snorkelers don't trample the coral or collect the sea shells. Those should belong to everyone who visits, including the Haitians someday. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed Labadee and we were intrigued to perhaps someday visit the real Haiti.

My one piece of advice to first timers is don't feel you have to eat every meal. There is plenty of good food and you'll feel better by the end of the week just skipping two lunches.

Finally, thanks to all the cruise critic members who patiently answered all our questions and gave us good advice. We cannot wait to go again. Cheers!

o.k. so just how bad was the deembarkation? i live in new jersey and will most likely be the last color off. what should i expect?

I too live in New Jersey just outside Philly. We were the second color called to deembarkation because we had ground transportation through RCCL. Everyone had to be out of there staterooms by 8:00 am. We went down to the Palace Theatre at 7:30 to get a seat. It took them over an hour to get all non-residents through customs. The first color (white) was called at 9:15 and it took 45 minutes before the second color (lavendar) which was ours to be called. I did hear that all passangers were off by noon. That makes for a long morning.

Did you attend the ice skating show? If so, how was it?

The ice skating show was amazing, especially when you consider that the rink is relatively small compared to those used by most ice shows. There was also some aerial work (on ropes) and a couple who did some incredible things with large metal wheel-like structures. Well worth the time!

I agree with Anthony, the food in the dining room was great. I won dinner for 2 at Portofino's at the Meet & Mingle; I hadn't been planning on going, but man, am I glad we did!! I don't think I've ever had such delicious food, exquisite presentation, or attentive service. The tiramisu was so pretty, friends of ours at another (large) table came over to ask what it was, so they could get some! And in the middle of dessert, our servers (Daniela and Catalin, they're wonderful!) brought a little plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries and cookies. We were too full to finish, and asked if we could take it back to the room for later... when they brought us the wrapped plate, it had twice as many goodies on it!

I have to agree with everyone, disembarkation was an abomination, made worse by those non-residents who couldn't do what they were told and show up on time for Customs. But after 9 days on Explorer, I was so relaxed and laid back that it really didn't bother me as much as it might have! I would've been content to doze in a chair in The Palace until our color was called; unfortunately, our group leader decided that we should all go down to the other end of the ship (closer to the gangway) so we ended up camped out on the floor outside the 3d floor dining room.

Can we go back tomorrow?? no? OK, how 'bout Friday?? :D

AnthonyD:

Thanks for the review. DH/I will be on Explorer for a B2B in September.

Did you attend the ice skating show? If so, how was it?

Congratulations to you and your wife. Much luck, love and happiness to both of you!

Yes we did and it featured Olga and Alexy- I think. It was okay. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the great review, I'm really looking forward to Explorer in 2007! I do have one question, where did you have the Steak Oscar? In Portofino or in the main dining room?

I had the steak oscar in the dining room. It was pretty good. It was a top sirloin with crab, hollandase and of course asparagus. We also hit Portofino which was excellent but as I said before it was hard to make it stand out that much with all the excellent service and good food we already were enjoying in the dining room. Not to knock it, it was excellent.

Archived