hairstyles for long hair

pinguino

what are some really easy to do, elegant looking things i can do myself (i have a couple months to practice) with thick long hair? its between mid and waist length and i have bangs that are about chin length that i part in the middle. i wear braids 99% of the time so i want to do something different for the formal/semiformal nights. i dont put it up ever so i really have no clue what to do to get it to stay

what are some really easy to do, elegant looking things i can do myself (i have a couple months to practice) with thick long hair? its between mid and waist length and i have bangs that are about chin length that i part in the middle. i wear braids 99% of the time so i want to do something different for the formal/semiformal nights. i dont put it up ever so i really have no clue what to do to get it to stay

My hair is down to my knees and I frequently put it up. It's really not that hard to do. Start with a good brush, covered elastic bands(the color closest to your own hair color) and long bobby pins. Most updos start with a ponytail. You can practice putting your hair in a high ponytail or low one. Then you can braid, twist or twirl it into a knot or bun. Pin it in place using several bobby pins all around the bun until it is anchored. Spray hair spray onto your palm or fingers and smooth away any frizzies or flyaways by just running the sprayed fingers over the part you want to smooth. I don't have bangs, but you could wear them as you usually do or smooth them back with a gel. If your hair is really thick, you might want to try a good conditioner and then a flat iron. It makes my hair shiny and silky and flat! Try Pantene, smooth and sleek, and Frizz-Ez to name a couple of products that work well for me. Once you have the do you like, adorn it with hair jewelry or flowers(silk or dried...or fresh if you can find them on board). Start looking in Target or other discount store for pretty hairpins or clips with stones on them. Davids Bridal used to sell satin gardenias on hair pins...I have those and they really dress up your do.

BTW, even a sleek ponytail can be elegant with some added adornments.

Good luck...:)

Cindra

I used to have waist length hair and braided it - but that was a few years ago and I don't think french braids or fishtail braids are that stylish now.

When my hair was longer, I was a hair model for shows a couple of times, and the most common way that they would start the updo's was to curl the hair - normally with rollers in order to have the curl hold longest. They also put a lot of gel in it to hold the curls (this will be important on the ship, where the air is humid). After it was totally and completely dry (had to be super dry), they would take out the rollers and put it in a pony tail (or part of it in a pony tail), then work with separate curls - pulling some up and adhering them as big fat rolls with bobby pins, or teasing other bits. You could certainly play around with that. So you wound up with what looked like a mass of different curls on your head, some loose, some tightly coiled. This is kindof a messy look - but it can be really cute and fun.

You could also curly your hair, leave some of it out at the top and put the rest of it in a french twist. Then take the curls at the top and twist them, and adhere with a bobby pin. If you're young, this might look too fussy - so just pull out the occasional curl and let it hang down.

Have you checked any of the hair magazines? There is usually one about this time of year that has the current prom and wedding updo's. You could also check the library. There are books with step-by-step instructions on how to create different hairstyles. If you want to spend a few bucks, you could even go and have it done at a salon at home (where it is less expensive), and ask the stylist to show you exactly what they have done so you can recreate it yourself on the ship.

Hope this helps - have fun playing with your hair!

Hi there -- lurker coming out of hiding here to respond to this one...

My hair is also waist-length. I do lots of different kinds of buns with either scrunchees or hair sticks. There's a website that has lots of step-by-step instructions (with pictures!) you may want to check out -- www. longhairloom. com Just be warned - some of those chicks are absolutely OBSESSED with their hair.

The chinese bun is very easy to do and looks great. Put your hair in a low ponytail then stick a hair stick (similar to a chopstick) through the tail horizontally sort of through/under the ponytail holder so it stays in place. Split your tail in two sections and criss-cross up, down, and around the stick. When you almost run out of hair use a bobby pin underneath to hold the ends. You can get the sticks (cheap) at those accessory stores in the mall and nicer ones at some higher-end stores or online. Heck, in a pinch I've used a pencil while at work.

Good luck. With a little practice you should be able to work wonders! ;)

Peach

Hey Peach, thanks for that link! The long hair site looks very interesting! How long do you think your hair needs to be to do hair stick thing? Mine is a few inches below my shoulders and I wasn't having a lot of luck when I tried it. Do I need practice, or some more length?

Archived