Booking Panama Canal Railway tour privately

Laurin612

Mmmmkay...

After perusing the threads here we had pretty much decided on the Two Oceans by Railroad tour, which is offered through Carnival for like $150.

But then I checked the Panama Canal Railway web site and the actual round trip fare is US $38! :eek:

Has anyone taken this tour through a local tour operator or by themselves?

Thanks in advance!

You can't book it except through the cruiseline. The trains are run for that particular excursion, otherwise the $38 you refer to is for the daily service Panama to Colon, and back. Which looks to be a once a day service.

Just shows how much the cruiseline is making on an excursion.

Train ride, roundtrip, $38

Pure profit for cruiseline $111.

Priceless.

Cheers,

Peter

Was that supposed to make it more attractive? :eek:

I think I'd rather take the train back and spend only $38 instead of $160 than to sit on a crowded bus ! :D

Cheers,

Peter

Yes, it is more attractive. The full Train Tour includes around trip travel on the train in addition to the bus tour around the Pacific side of Panama. You have the same tour guide the entire 4-5 hour trip (train & bus).

During the bus trip you will visit (at least we did 2 years ago) The Bridge of the Americas, Canal Headquarters, former US Bases, and Mira Flores Locks. The time spent at the locks is about 1/2 of the total bus portion of the tour, so you only spend about an hour actually in the bus (very nice buses by the way).

If a particular cruise only does a so-called "partial transit," the Train Tour is an excellent way to see Panama with very little effort. This tour is one of the best tours I have been on.

• 1 month later...

Lets not mix apples and oranges. For your $38.00 you get to depart at 5:15 PM from Colon to Panama City then return the next day at 7:15 AM. No transportation service charges the same for unfavorable times compared to favorable times.

Yes, it is more attractive. The full Train Tour includes around trip travel on the train in addition to the bus tour around the Pacific side of Panama. You have the same tour guide the entire 4-5 hour trip (train & bus).

During the bus trip you will visit (at least we did 2 years ago) The Bridge of the Americas, Canal Headquarters, former US Bases, and Mira Flores Locks. The time spent at the locks is about 1/2 of the total bus portion of the tour, so you only spend about an hour actually in the bus (very nice buses by the way).

If a particular cruise only does a so-called "partial transit," the Train Tour is an excellent way to see Panama with very little effort. This tour is one of the best tours I have been on.

We're going on the Carnival Victory on 10/21/06 and the cruise line hasn't put any excursions online for Panama. All the other ports have excursions posted. Anyone know why Panama excursions aren't posted? We'd like to book the train early as this probably will be the only time we go to that area.

Thanks.

I met my wife in Panama in the early 1980's. The train, at that time was used by commuters and ran from Panama City, near Ancon Hill, to the heart of Colon and ran all day long. The cost was 2 or 3 dollars one way and about 2 dollars more for an air conditioned car. I enjoyed that train ride immensely. I don't think I could pay $100 plus today.

Today in Panama public transportation is not expensive. Local busses are $.25 per ride. 3 years ago on a Princess cruise we took a bus from Colon to Panama city for $3.50pp.

For those of you that are interested in the current Panama Railway please take a look at the following web site: http://www.panarail.com/

You will see that the railroad is a joint venture between the Panama Canal Railway Company and the Kansas City Southern. Construction was completed in 2000 with passenger service starting in 2001.

Not that I'm an expert on this subject, but I was told unless you have a ship tour Panama officials will not let you off the ship. The ship does not run tenders for passengers not on a tour and its not like you dock somewhere and can walk off the ship. Like I said, that is just what I was told on one of the threads here on CC.

Mrs007,

It is true that if your ship is doing a partial transit you will not be able to disembark while the ship is in the Canal. To be clear, a partial transit usually means that the ship will pass through Gatun Locks and then anchor in Gatun Lake a mile or two away from the locks.

The reason for the "no one but tour" rule is simple; there is nothing to see where the tenders dock in Gatun Lake. The tender pier is in the middle of nowhere and is basically a parking lot for tour buses. Therefore, there is no reason to disembark unless you are booked on a tour.

Archived