Help in deciding a cruise

abouna

I am trying to decide on a 12 day Med. Cruise for August 2007 between the Emerald Princess (1st Choice) and the RC Legend of the Seas. We are two adults and two children 4 and 9 at that time.

Emerald Princess Pros:

1. New, beautiful Ship (just saw the Crown Princess docked in Brooklyn)

2. More ports

3. Leaves from Venice with overnight on the ship and arrives in Rome.

Legend of the Seas Pros:

1. Less ports but more interesting ones, including Alexandria, Egypt and the Pyramids and Cyprus. This is a big plus for us. Also, more days at sea may be more relaxing.

2. Price for a mini-suite compared to Princess is $3000.00 less or a Grand Suite is $1500 less than a mini on the Princess, however, both are 12 nights.

Any thoughts from experienced crusiers, help me decide!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to decide on a 12 day Med. Cruise for August 2007 between the Emerald Princess (1st Choice) and the RC Legend of the Seas. We are two adults and two children 4 and 9 at that time.

Emerald Princess Pros:

2. More ports

Legend of the Seas Pros:

1. Less ports but more interesting ones, including Alexandria, Egypt and the Pyramids and Cyprus. This is a big plus for us. Also, more days at sea may be more relaxing.

2. Price for a mini-suite compared to Princess is $3000.00 less or a Grand Suite is $1500 less than a mini on the Princess, however, both are 12 nights.

If price plus Egypt is important then it seems to be a no brainer.

Princess must be charging you a premium for you kids that RCCL is not to get that kind of differential. One site I looked at had only a $370pp difference for the suites

With kids that age, you may welcome the cruise that actually has sea days in order to get some rest. I did a port intensive itinerary in March (5 ports, only 1 sea day on the last day of the cruise) and we were wishing for another sea day by the middle of the cruise. With a 12 night itinerary, 1 sea day like the Emerald has is not enough.

I think for at least $1,500 more to spend on excursions and the opportunity to see Egypt and the Pyramids I would take the Legend of the Seas.

The Legend of the Seas is a smaller and older ship. I would take the Emerald because I love huge ships and the idea of a brand new one really appeals to me.

However if you aren't bothered about the size of the ship I guess you have to go by the itinery you prefer.

We really haven't considered any of Princess' Med itineraries because they are just too port intensive. I agree with the poster above who thought that having some sea days would be a benefit - you might need some rest, too, after chasing after a 4 and 9 year old in foreign cities. :)

I think you have answered this question with the statement that the ports are important. Do not be concerned with the "older" Legend of the Seas. We have been on this ship three times, including a visit to Egypt. I believe that the design of the Legend was several years ahead of most cruise lines and is only missing some of the newer stuff. We were last on the Legend about 1 1/2 years ago on a transatlantic and was very happy with the cruise. Also, the ship was going into drydock after our cruise for a face lift. Having been to many Med ports, I would never give up a chance to visit Egypt for a few more Med ports.

We have been looking at the same cruise with an eye on Egypt. Being a long time Princess fan, I would be torn. I would try to find someone who has taken the cruise on the other board and ask them some tough questions about tour guides, safety issues and the like before making up my mind. I've alway felt very comfortable with Princess and it would take a lot to shake me over to another line, but that's just me. Please do let us know what you've decided and how the cruise goes. Until we get there, I can live but vicariously.

Charlie

Emerald Princess Pros:

2. More ports

Legend of the Seas Pros:

Not all that experienced a cruiser but here are some things I would put at the top of my list to think about:

I would look at what the children's program is on both of these ships first.

A 4 and 9 yr old on tours can be especially tough on the parents so would you be comfortable leaving your children on board the ship while you tour? If not, then will the places you've selected to visit be a wise choice for young children?

Emerald: On your particular itinerary there is only one sea day which to me is a big minus if your not use to port intensive itineraries. Other Emerald itineraries during the summer months do have two seas days. Did you check out other sailings during the summer to see if there is one with the two sea days which are ports you would want to visit? Don't know if your dates are flexible.

And as someone else suggests, ask questions about the LOS sailings. So much information on these boards and what a great help.

Good luck with your search.

Julia

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I may just put a deposit on both, watch the prices and think about it for a while. One more plus/minus is that although there is only one sea day, we will have already been to Athens and Santorini before the cruise so we could just stay on the ship. The minus of that is I imagine there is a difference "playing" on a docked ship than on a moving one.

It is very difficult, I live in Brooklyn and saw the Crown Princess sitting in port for the past several days, even drove up to it.

UGH!!!!! Why can't it just stop in Egypt and solve my problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way, you'll have a great cruise.

One thing to consider with Egypt, particularly with small children, that you might want to take into account is that it's over a three hour drive, each way, to the pyramids. That's a lot of "quiet" time for your kids.

One other thing to think about: will there be a difference in airfare between a round trip Rome ticket and an open jaw ticket for NY-Venice then Rome-NY - or have you already calculated the difference into your total costs?

One other thing to think about: will there be a difference in airfare between a round trip Rome ticket and an open jaw ticket for NY-Venice then Rome-NY - or have you already calculated the difference into your total costs?

Yes, based on this year's prices around the same time, there is no or very little difference.

Archived