Is this dress formal enough?

:eek: I have planned out my two formal nights. Floor length for both. Now, some posters are saying that nowadays, floor length gowns are rare. I leave in a month on Infinity to Alaska. Will I be ok in a floor length gown???:eek:

Thanks

event.png

bonbon63, Wherever did you read that? Every cruise I've been on (well OK, not our short NCL cruise :( ) the vast majority of women had on floor length dresses. Then there are a few in shorter dresses and a few in dressy pants. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

although the dress is not "formal"- on the 6 cruiselines I have been on that could be worn on formal night. Very few women actually wear evening gowns on formal nights. Even on Celebrity and HAL the LBDs were seen more then evening gowns. Many women simply had on black dress slacks with sparkly tops. Your dress will be more formal then them for sure in my opinion.

This is where I got the idea that I would stick out in a floor length. I know, I know...I'm overthinking this whole thing.

event.png

:o I think this dress is lovely, HOWEVER...personally I do NOT feel (even with all sorts of accessories added to be worn) it would be dressy enough for the 1st (Captain's) formal night in the main dinning room.

Now with that said...I DO think that this dress would be perfect for the 2nd formal night. Since all I have read at various places online (other than just on these message boards) that the 2nd formal night is 'less dressy' than the first this dress would work fine.

The dress is lovely and by all means wear it on the cruise. You will be beautiful in it and you have very good taste.

Again..as I stated in the beginning of this post, this is strictlyy my personal opinion about the OP question asked.

:o Happy Cruising!:o

Thanks! I'm planning to wear this one on the second formal night and a red bridesmaid dress on the first night. Anyway, i got this black and white dress at Ann Taylor since I get a really great discount as a sales assoc. It's got convertible straps that you can add to the dress if you don't want to go strapless. I might have to use the straps b/c I don't have a much in front to hold it up. :o

Thank you so much for the answer! Gorgeous stuff in that store! You will look stunning! :)

~R

If you feel good in a dress, then it is fine. I have spent some formal nights dressed up and uncomfortable...and I have spent formal nights not quite as fancy and felt very comfortable. We are all thinking too hard about this. Enjoy your dress, it is lovely. I only wish I had the shape to wear one like it!

We are all thinking too hard about this. Enjoy your dress, it is lovely. I only wish I had the shape to wear one like it!

Thanks for the advice and compliments! And, well, It's not that I'm really thinking too hard or stressing about what to wear (although, I think I already have my whole cruise wardrobe planned out - heehee) but it's just nice to have second (or third, or fourth.....) opinions on outfits. I know that as long as I don't show up in jeans or hobo-wear on formal nights, I'll be okay.

By the way, is it just me or do the days just seem to go by slower and slower as it gets nearer to cruise day? Thank goodness June is almost over. August still seems soooo far away, though!

bonbon63, Wherever did you read that? Every cruise I've been on (well OK, not our short NCL cruise :( ) the vast majority of women had on floor length dresses. Then there are a few in shorter dresses and a few in dressy pants. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Maybe it depends on which coast you are cruising but I have NOT found what KS says here to be true. More cocktail dresses, LBD's and sparkly tops and black dress slacks then formal gowns.

I wore a cocktail dress my last cruise, Celebrity Zenith, I was dressier then at least 65% of the women on formal night. Maybe 20% had on formal gowns.

This is where I got the idea that I would stick out in a floor length. I know, I know...I'm overthinking this whole thing.

event.png

If you notice I put that in quotation marks. Many here call formal what is known as black tie or white tie. That is not the defintion of formal by the mainstream cruiselines. Cocktail dresses, LBD's are perfectly suitable.

Many even wear sparkly tops with black dress slacks. In my opinion that is a little "iffy" for a cruise formal night- but even that is no big deal to me-after all these women made the effort to dress up.

Archived