Suggestions on Thank you gifts

mommaT

I'm cruising with a group 8/8/04 - 8/15/04 on the Destiny. I want to get them all thank you gifts for participating. My TA is putting gifts in each cabin but I wanted to get something as well. I thought about an underwater disposable camera, one of those waterproof card carriers and a picture frame. DH thinks that's a bit cheesey. Need HELP. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Momma T.

MommaT, I think your idea of the underwater disposable camera is great for a gift. You may even want to consider writing the cabin number for each camera in waterproof ink on the front of each camera. If everyone in the group has the same camera, they might get mixed up. If you have drinkers in the group, why not give drink coupons. If they aren't drinkers, why not give them soda cards. A lot of people don't care for the waterproof card carriers and picture frames could break in transit. However, I don't know anyone who wouldn't appreciate taking pictures on their cruise. Just my opinion.

I'm cruising with a group 8/8/04 - 8/15/04 on the Destiny. I want to get them all thank you gifts for participating. My TA is putting gifts in each cabin but I wanted to get something as well. I thought about an underwater disposable camera, one of those waterproof card carriers and a picture frame. DH thinks that's a bit cheesey. Need HELP. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't think the gifts sound cheesey at all. But, personally, I wouldn't want a picture frame because a) it's something else to pack and take home, and b) I rarely print my pictures. But, that's not to say that the folks in your group wouldn't love the frames.

Soft drink coupons make a nice gift. The Carnival tote bag is nice too, if it's in your budget (instead of the other 3 gifts). The totes are nice because they provide a way of taking home purchases from the cruise. If you were interested totes, your TA might be able to get you a discount, since it's a group cruise. I have one of Carnival's old-style tote bags, and I'm amazed at how well it's held up over the years.

No matter what you decide, I'm sure the gifts will be appreciated. It's always nice to get a little unexpected gift!

You didn't say how many will be in the group, but if you fix up a little gift bag for each with maybe the waterproof camera, drink coupons, etc., it might be kinda nice to go to the gift shop as soon as it opens and buy shot glasses with the ship's logo to pop into each bag before you give it. They're only $1.99. I'd throw in a coupla candy bars and a pack or two of snack crackers, just to fill up the bag with "stuff". They'll love you for doing all this for them. Can I come along?:)

Are you planning on giving the gifts before everyone leaves for the cruise or while on the cruise? If you are planning on taking the stuffed gift bags to give while on the cruise, that's some extra luggage to worry/think about.

I think your idea is wonderful and wish I was part of your group! :D

Some ideas....

Regular or waterproof cameras are a great idea. If you are planning on giving these gifts before every leaves for the cruise, if you are a member of Sam's Club or a similar place, check them out for these. I'm seem them in like 3 packs at Sam's and they turn out to be cheaper than the other stores and definately cheaper than buying them from Carnival.

Gift certificates from Carnival.

I have given friends bon voyage gift bags with a disposable camera, a CD of some "beach" music or other music to get them in cruise mode.

I know there is food always available somewhere it seems on the ship but I have ordered the fruit baskets a time or two. They were appreciated and folks liked the idea of having the munchies handy.

:) I just checked Carnival's web site (sometimes they run "specials".) It appears they have added a few "limited time only" items - stuffed coolers!! http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx?cat=Specialty+Items

:o I personally have done this for clients (in my personal business ** not travel business) and for friends alike. What I do is make a gift bag and fill it with things that I know they will need. I have used the disposable camera's, and dollar store photo albums, and sample size hand creams and suntan oils, and even disposable sunglasses.

I go to the craft store and buy the bags, and I decorate them for my group or friends. I have done this for Alumni parties and all kinds of travel groups and parties. Another thing I do is make the pins that say "2004 Fall Cruise - Carnival Miracle. I am a huge gadget person.

I think everyone loves the special touches and the thoughtful reminders. I have also had t-shirts made and I have made iron on transfers and made totebags. I have to admit that was more pricey than I originally thought!

:cool:

Edited to add... I do this as a thank you!

I'm thinking they have probably already bought their disposable underwater cameras. I know I've already bought mine. They will probably already have suntan lotion, sunscreen, and glasses. Those are the first things you pack for your cruise. One thing they may not have are the Carnival drink coupons. You can buy anything from sodas and beers to margaritas with them. I like to use them for those drinks with the pretty little umbrellas in them. They sell them at the Carnival website. For $19.50 you get four drink coupons. That makes the drinks about $4.75 each. It's a little cheaper than paying full price and buying everyone a round of drinks. They put the drink coupons in your room prior to your arrival on the ship. Or you could get in touch with one of those companies like "Just For You" and have them do it all for you. They make the basket and put it in the rooms on the ship for you. You may get some kind of discount for a large group order. It would save you having to pack all of those goody bags. But I agree that soda cards or drink coupons would be much appreciated. We personally spend a small fortune on alcoholic beverages. That's why we started buying the drink coupons. I would try to think of something a cruiser wouldn't typically pack or have with them.

There is a website that sells all kinds of neat stuff that would make great gifts and prices are pretty reasonable. You can get get light up beverage glasses, hats etc. that are a lot of fun! Try whyleavethehousedotcom, check under electronics. (I am in no way affilitated with it) but have ordered from there before and find some really cool stuff there! You can probably do a seach and find other sites that sell this stuff as well.

I was a group leader for our last Cruise in Jan. What I did at our last meeting, when the documents were handed out, I had a picture album for each couple with a paper inside that said you would receive a surprise from me in your room. I had bought the photo coupons to be delivered to my room then I divided them up by giving one per person. I had a group of 113 people so I did different activities at dinner time, since that was when I saw most of them.

1st night-Photo coupon

2nd night- Drink coupon

3rd night- bottle of wine for each table at dinner

4th night-chocolate bags I had a business card made up that said "I hope you are enjoying your cruise" (I made previously at home, like weddings) put them in my carrying on bag no probelm getting on.

5th night-Private one-hour party

6th night-Group Photo-to get everyone to show up I had a special drawing,as some people blow this off. The drawing consisted of a 1/4 carat diamond necklace for ladies & a money clip engraved with ship name, group name and dates with $100.00 for the men. Needless to say this went over well & everyone showed up except 3 couples.

7th night-I handed out Thank You cards

I also had found out special occasions in our group & had a cake for them at the table (Carnival does at no extra charge) with a Hallmark card left on their table with everyones name from our group.

Everyone must have had a good time because I am plnnning my next cruise vacation and they are asking when & where to be.

Hope this helps you out

Kimmer

Wow! Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I'm actually having a cookout on July 17 for everyone going on the cruise (and some who wish they were) and planned to give everyone a goodie bag then. I know my folks and they have yet to get started purchasing their supplies.

Archived