Disposable Underwater Camera or Waterproof Camera Cover?

Hey everyone. I read the post below about the Underwater Camera and it seems like Fuji makes a great one. We will be with family next month on the FOS and were considering buying a waterproof camera cover for our canon. But now I'm thinking I could save a butt load by just buying sevearl underwater cameras.

What do you all think would be better picture-wise?

thanks!

Sam

If you do lots of water stuff, snorkeling, etc. you might want to consider buying an Olympus Stylus 720 SW. It is a digital camera that is waterproof to 10 feet. and can be used in fresh or saltwater! Not real cheap $380 but once you buy it you have a permanent way to take underwater DIGITAL photos. Unless you are a scuba diver and want to go deeper than 10 feet!

We always use the Fuji water camera. They take great photos. Last year I purchased mine from E-bay, four for $17.00 including shipping. They were two months expired, but with proper storage the fild last much longer. We did not have any problems. Just looked at them at Wal-Mart yesterday, they are $11.88 for 2. Have fun!

I bought the case for my and canon digital and will never go back to any type of disposable film underwater camera... I'm only limited by my memory stick... No depth issues... Easy to use... A very good investment.

I decided to go with a middle of the road compromise between light duty waterproof digital cameras and full fledged marine packs for digital cameras. Many manufacturers (in my case, Sony) make light duty sport cases for their compact cameras which are significantly lighter and smaller than full-duty marine packs...but of course are only for light duty use of 10-feet or less.

I was never real happy with waterproof disposables. And the compact cameras that were designed waterproof I never quite liked the overall ergonomics or the pictures from them - nothing bad, just not quite what I was looking for. I also wanted to maintain some manual control over the camera. By looking for a good ultra-compact camera with all the features I wanted and the quality of photos I wanted, then purchasing the manufacturer's light duty waterproof case, I end up with a great mix of functionality and quality, and usually spend a bit less than buying a dedicated waterproof camera.

For me the advantages are:

1. Price. A good ultra-compact camera at $200 or so and the $30-$80 sport pack versus over $300 for a waterproof camera.

2. Size - the ultra-compact in its waterproof case is a bit larger than a dedicated waterproof camera, but it can also be taken out of its case and used when you don't need the water protection, and it is now smaller than a dedicated waterproof camera.

3. Photos - only a few manufacturers make waterproof digitals, but you may not like their photo output, or memory card type. Choosing an ultra-compact from the manufacturer you like best means you get exactly the camera you want, then purchase the sport case to go with it. Sony, Canon, Fuji, Nikon and others offer these types of lighter duty cases.

Just something else to consider!

I bought the case for my and canon digital and will never go back to any type of disposable film underwater camera... I'm only limited by my memory stick... No depth issues... Easy to use... A very good investment.

I agree 100%!

I have a canon A95 and bought the underwater case for it from Canon and absolutely love it!:D I go scuba diving with my camera and get quality pics that would not be possible with a disposable. Plus like the above poster stated- theres no depth issues and its easy to use!

Sandie

My husband bought an underwater case for our digital camera, and we love it. We will never go back to disposable underwater cameras. We've already paid for the camera case with our last 2 vacations with the money we saved in having the film developed only to find out only 1 out of every 5 shots was good--and that's if we were lucky.

Kerrie:)

My DH is sold on his Canon A85 and underwater case. And he takes some great pictures. I still carry a film camera - Nikon 35mm SLR, which I love. First couple of cruises I brought some disposable underwater cameras, too, but was never happy with the results and now don't bother, leaving all the picture taking while snorkeling to DH.

Jodi

Good to know about the cases for the digital cameras. I have a waterproof camera cover that is like a heavy duty plastic made by aquapac. I couldn't get a true clear picture through it. For disposables, I use Kodak over Fuji. The colors turn out better and I had a Fuji one leak before and heard this happened to many others too.

I will be doing some diving on our Alaskan Cruise on the Radiance in July, and bought one of these:

http://www.snapsights.com/products_swfc.html

Reusable (but cheapo) camera with flash and camera, good to about 100ft deep.

I haven't used it yet, but friends who have used one have taken decent pictures with it. Not as good as the very expensive cameras with strobe flashes, etc., but much better than disposable.

Retail in Canada was approx $35.

Seemed like a good alternative for my needs.

A local scuba diving shop would be a good place to start checking.

Hopefully, it lets me take some good pictures of the Alaskan undersea critters.

Archived