Help with Jet Skis etc.

Hello to all!

We've been planning this cruise for well over a year. We are taking our three grown sons with us and two of them have never cruised before. Who knows how many times we'll all be able to get together at the same time again.

Anyway, I have a question for anyone who might be able to help out.

My sons and I would like to try out either jet skis or the under water scooters with the bubble helmets. I have found them both on the web at several of our ports of call, however, this type of activity is not offered through the cruise line.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

The cruiseline and I think even your Cruise Director will even warn you to stay away from these types of activites while at these ports because they could be dangerous and people have been hurt or even worst. Just something to think about.

Fred

I believe in St Thomas they have the BOB now, which is a scooter underwater, which is offered by Carnival. They also have the udnerwater helmet dive, in St Thomas, offered my carnival.

We did the Helmut dive before CCl offered it, we did the excusion to the location and then did the dive when we got there. Very safe, and we recommened to CCl that they add this to the list.

Well low and behold they did.

We will be doing BOB this December when we stop in St Thomas. Looking forward to this.

If you go to St.Marten you can grab a taxi at port to Little Divi Bay resort. It is less than 10 minutes from port. They give you use of the beach and they offer water sports, including jet ski's. :p

Hello to all!

We've been planning this cruise for well over a year. We are taking our three grown sons with us and two of them have never cruised before. Who knows how many times we'll all be able to get together at the same time again.

Anyway, I have a question for anyone who might be able to help out.

My sons and I would like to try out either jet skis or the under water scooters with the bubble helmets. I have found them both on the web at several of our ports of call, however, this type of activity is not offered through the cruise line.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

Tom/Pittsburgh,

The cruiselines consider mopeds/scooters, parasailing, jetsking to be hazardous activities and thusly do not offer them. I know how many cruise ship commercials do you see that have a jetski in them.... several.

People say jetskis are dangerous but so is driving a car. But with the proper training, they are fun machines on which to enjoy the water. The most important thing to remember is that it takes throttle in order to steer them. If you let off the throttle, the machine will continue to go straight. Some of the newer units do have off-power steering which allows you to turn but you probably wont find this on a rental.

Dave

The reason that cruise lines warn you not to partake in these activities is NOT just because the activity is dangerous in itself.

When you are in port, you are NOT in the Unites States. Most of these destinations to NOT have any standards set by their government to make sure that their equipment (scooters, jet skis, parasailing line, etc) are in the proper working condition to maintain safety.

The other reason... simple really... A trip to the hospital (even for a small injury), means that, in most cases, you will miss the ship's leaving the port and have to find alternate transportation home ot to the next port.

The cruise lines do not want your vacation ruined because of an avoidable accident.

Archived