For the Brits on the November Crossing and anyone else flying British Airways ..

norm2002

Just had an email from BA notifying me of changes to their baggage policies. Now no one bag can weigh more than 23kgs (50lbs), down from 30kg (65lbs). The changes to the checked baggage take place on 11 October and to the hand baggage on 5 July.

Can be seen at http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagpolicy/public/en_gb

Details below.

New simpler baggage policies - major changes announced

We are introducing changes to simplify baggage policies and to reduce queues at the airport. These changes will also bring our policies into line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations and the requirements of the UK’s main airport operator BAA.

The new policies will bring changes to hand, checked and excess baggage allowances and will be phased in from early July 2006 across the airline’s global network.

Hand baggage allowances are changing from 5 July 2006

s.gifs.gifAll passengers will be able to carry one standard-sized bag and one briefcase, laptop computer bags or equivalent on all flights.

The maximum size of the bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) has been set in line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations.

Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.

Briefcases, laptop computer bags or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

Free checked baggage allowances

A single allowance system based on the number of bags that can be checked in will be introduced from 11 October 2006.

FIRST, Club World, Club Europe and World Traveller Plus

Passengers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

World Traveller*, Euro Traveller and UK Domestic

Passengers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

Infants will be allowed to check one bag, plus a collapsible baby buggy, into the aircraft hold free of charge in all classes on all routes.

For any connecting journey, the most generous allowance will apply.

Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance.

A maximum bag weight of 23kg (50lbs) will apply to all bags.

*World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

Excess baggage charges will be standardised across the network from 11 October 2006

All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.

From 12 July 2006, passengers who prepay online for their excess baggage will receive a 20% discount on airport charges.

Passengers transferring flights, a single charge based on the longest flight will apply.

Maximum weight and size

We will not accept any item of baggage that weighs more than 23kg (50lbs) or oversized items exceeding 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m (94in x 29in x 29in).

Advance notification is required 24 hours before departure for exceptional items that weigh between 23kg - 45kg (50 - 90lbs) and which cannot be repacked e.g. musical instruments, electrical wheelchairs, some sporting items, TV news cameras, commercial spares.

Pets

We will no longer be able to carry pets as baggage. From 11 October 2006, these will only be carried as cargo.

Looks like I'll have to leave my Seabourn Bear at home :(

Norm - am I reading this right, that they will not accept any bag over 23kgs even if you pay for the extra weight? So that you can only go over that by checking a third suitcase and paying for it?? Suitcases weigh so much anyway before you put anything in. I shall have to wear all my clothes in a very layered look in order to pack my suitcases with all my other bits necessary for a Transatlantic - lotions and potions, and shoes, and not forgetting good books etc etc. We are coming into England for the trip and flying BA London to Malaga - someone gave me the tip to buy several seats on Ryan Air or Easy Jet etc for just a few pounds and then to use the baggage allowance for the seats that you won't be using, and I laughed - but it doesn't sound so peculiar now. Why it is that air travel just gets more and more difficult these days and ends up spoiling one's trip!:( :( :( Sue.

I think you are absolutely right, Sue. I normally take a suitcase and a suiter bag. The case is always close to 30kgs, mostly with all my electronic equipment for photo printing etc. The suiter I can carry on my shoulder. Looks like I'll have to take two cases instead and split the weight but, as you say, good quality cases to protect the contents can weigh over 7kgs empty! Won't be able to fly anywhere cold because of the extra weight needed for sweaters!

I may start looking at the Seabourn DHL option but last time I looked it was pretty expensive, particularly for international, and isn't available for all cruises.

Maybe I'll just take cruises that start and end in the UK - no limits on onboard bags. ;)

PS The one good thing is that there appears to be no weight limit on the hand baggage item so long as you are able to lift it into the overhead locker.

Norm,

I have a 22" Rollaboard that I carry my Powerbook (laptop), my Nikon D2H (5+lbs with lens :D ) and lens in. I then fill it with shorts and other non iron things for extra padding.

In my rolling duffle the only camera/puter thing I have is a monopod/walking stick. Sorry no bears........ :D

Here are another link for home to cruise services

http://www.virtualbellhop.com/

Continental International flights allow 50 pds for Coach, but allows 70 pds. for 1st/Business.

I used Seabourn's Valet Service (DHL) in April from Lisbon to West Texas. I thought it costly! One piece of luggage arrived 7 days after my arrival, my other piece arrived 16 days later. According to DHL, the latter piece sat in Customs! It was most inconvenient for me as I needed some "contents" of the bag to take to Ft. Lauderdale.

I'll probably use the Valet service again as it's getting harder and harder to fly Internationally. Especially for we "solo Sailor's."

MB

Especially for we "solo Sailor's."

MB

This was something that shocked me about Seabourn. For my Turkey Week cruise I thought I would go with the Seabourn Air. My TA called twice just to check if it was correct, but they wanted $3,000 to go from Charolette to Barbados... I will be flying US Air for around $800.....

My Blackbird, sometimes Seabourn Air is less, sometimes more....I've never quite figured it out. Flying to Bridgetown is always expensive!! I've flown down about 5 times in the past few years and will again be flying in on Dec. 14th. Haven't made my air reservations yet, but will probably go SAT, Houston, Miami, Bridgetown on Continental.

Guess I'll plan on packing "voille's, sheers, and chiffon" so as NOT to be over the 50 pds.....think I'll fly coach this trip, unless Continental will allow me to upgrade with my miles. (at times, yes, sometimes, no)

MB

Norm, Thank you so much for posting this timely (and updated) information as I have already pruchased my flight home on BA from the Pride's Mar. 2007 crossing via LHR, assuming the Work Gods parole me for 2 weeks. I will make certain my 2 checked bags do not exceed the 23 kg maximum. This means I may be forced into bringing fewer or no scratch pads for the Trivia Torunament (pencils are light and will be stashed in my carry-on). Ahh such is life for a Trivia-loving, wannabe clothes horse, international air traveler. :D

It is probably wise to leave your Seabourn bear at home. Not for the weight savings but the peace of mind. As you probably know, bear-nappings and lion-nappings are deliciously wicked on the Legend Nov. crossings! However, at least two of the prime bear or lion "napping" suspects are not scheduled to be aboard this November; however, they could be traveling incognito using an alias! :eek: Cheers Norm! :)

Thanks for that tidbit... if the ship arrives at 8:00, what's the earliest flight you would book?

No earlier than noon unless you are familiar with the airport. Getting there is about 25 mins, it's just the checking in process and figuring out where to go that'll get ya!

In 2004 we stayed overnight and had a 7:20AM BA flight, got the the airport at 5:30 and the ticket agents weren't even there yet. In 2005, Myself, Martita et al, had a flight at about 1:30 and it was crazy!!

Just a note to those that are departing from Lisbon for the first time after a crossing. This airport is extremely confusing and chaotic especially for check-in so allow for extra time!!
Matt, I make the depressing trek from gangway to jetway with my flight leaving LIS at 11:40 am. My TA said it would be a "piece of cake." If I take a taxi direct to the BA section of the teminal do you think I will be alright?

Matt, I make the depressing trek from gangway to jetway with my flight leaving LIS at 11:40 am. My TA said it would be a "piece of cake." If I take a taxi direct to the BA section of the teminal do you think I will be alright?

Everyone gets dropped off at the same point- This is where the confusion starts. You will immediately need to find the number for your check in desk. Usually in the 80's. Monitors are just as confusing and don't really tell you much. I know for BA, they are usually "in and to the right". The signs are small. Your best bet is to ask someone when you get out of the limo where the BA check-in is.

If you arrive on time in Lisbon and are able to disembark right away, you'll make it, just don't dilly-dally.

Paul

We were on the 11.40 out of Lisbon after our Silversea cruise in April, we did not rush off the ship and made it to the airport in plenty of time. We could not check in as there was a "suspicious package" in front of the BA desks and the bomb squad had to come and examine. At least we were entertained while we were waiting! We then still had time to shop in the airport before our flight so don't worry! We have booked the same again for April next year when we disembark the Legend.

Kathryn

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that neither the Pride nor the Legend have "sea storms" and inclement weather that prevent us from arriving on schedule in Lisbon. The Atlantic had no mercy on us last March!

I'm now thinking of overnighting in Lisbon on March 31st.

MB

>"PS The one good thing is that there appears to be no weight limit on the hand baggage item so long as you are able to lift it into the overhead locker"

The last three times I have flown BA they have made me check my carry-on soft-sided backpack even though even I could lift it into the overhead bins. They said if it fell out it could hurt the FA. Of course, the woman who was schlepping a suitcase totally full of BOOKS also had to check hers too. Now, that one made sense.

Jane

Thank you both for answering my post!

Matt: I appreciate the embellishment of your original post. Now I see the LIS airport check in procedure is similar to the procedure at LHR (at least the last time I flew home from there in 1995).

Kathryn: I really appreciate your time management reasurances. You and Brian were "entertained" watching the bomb squad investigating a suspect package in direct line-of-sight? Cowabunga! Perhaps we Americans are too paranoid to be supervising the bomb squad "on the scene." :o Please tell Brian that "Tall Paul" looks forward to rekindling our (and Tony's) good natured rivalry in the Trivia, shuffeboard and putting tournaments on the Legend! :) I still remember both of our "lucky hole-in-one putts" for the grand championship last Nov. Since Brian had more points that I, he won the most coveted Seabourn mahogany box.

Blue skies, calm seas and happy sailings!

Havent flown British since a very bad experience with them years ago...but Qantas are also on the bandwagon about the overweight luggage...they gave us a very hard time on our way home from our cruise! We flew from Rome to Singapore with Singapore Airlines, and didnt have a problem at all, 2 large heavy suitcases each, plus we also checked in one of our "carry ons" just to get rid of it! When we tried to leave Singapore with Qantas, they said the limit was ONE suitcase each (Business) The weight then was still 30kgs. but if British has lowered theirs, you can bet your life Qantas also will. With only one suitcase each allowed, we were DOUBLE our allowance! (Dont know how I could have got that information so wrong in the first place!! Qantas told me I must have read the US Allowance!)

Qantas then wanted to charge us $1000 for excess luggage.....Qantas was NOT going to budge on that rule, however my husband was able to talk the Singapore Airport employee, around to our way of thinking....and after unpacking lots of heavy stuff to carry onboard with us, she allowed our cases to go through. Then of course we had miles too much carry on......so were rather nervous as we began boarding, thinking any minute someone would say "you cant carry more than one bag on board"...we hid some behind our back!! Not a very pleasant end to a wonderful trip.....needless to say we will be checking the baggage allowance very carefully from now on, and will probably steer clear of Qantas and British.

>"This means I may be forced into bringing fewer or no scratch pads for the Trivia Torunament (pencils are light and will be stashed in my carry-on). Ahh such is life for a Trivia-loving, wannabe clothes horse, international air traveler."

Paul,

Certainlyi f you are spending a night in the US before the W>E crossing, you can send a package vua UPS ahead to your hotel and collect it there. I imagine that the DHL type firms will find a boon in this wrinkle to our inconvenence.

Jane

I remember when my I purchased my new Samsonite hardside suitcase I was so pleased with the way it could hold my suit jackets with nary a fold. Unfortunately a month after that purchase my hometown airline lowered the free weight allowance from 70lbs to 50 lbs per bag. The empty bag weighs 21lbs! Fortunately last December I was flying first class to Barbados and Delta advised me they would still allow up to 70lbs per bag in first and business.

I prefer hardside bags but the new restrictions will make me consider softside bags in the future. Nevertheless, I really don't believe doing away with a weight limit on a carry-on bag is a good idea. I have had several near misses with 'tumblers' from the overhead compartment. A lower weight allowance for checked baggage will probably mean more pairs of shoes in the carry on.

Certainly if you are spending a night in the US before the W>E crossing, you can send a package via UPS ahead to your hotel and collect it there. I imagine that the DHL type firms will find a boon in this wrinkle to our inconvenence.
Jane in PHL - great suggestion! I think that is what Miss Martita does. Yes, I am staynig a night before the crossing and I am flying AA to FLL. As of now, their website states I can take my laptop and my 22 inch rollaboard as carry-ons provvided my rollaboard does not weigh more than 40 pounds. That is a lot of Trivia supplies and other stuff! :D

>"great suggestion! I think that is what Miss Martita does"

Yes, that's where we all get great suggestions, from Martita! She has mentioned sending the equivalent of a shipping container ahead for her galas.

And from you, too! I would never have thought of bringing some pencils and tablets for Trivia until I saw you doing it. For 'my team' I bring special pens that have the encyclopedia encripted on a microchip <G>. However, since we have never won, it's obvious we haven't figured out how to access all that knowledge.

Jane

Due to the baggage restrictions plus we hate carrying it all we always opt for Valet service. However we only need it one way because on a crossing we come back to Ft. Lauderdale and then we throw it in a car and are home.

It is probably wise to leave your Seabourn bear at home. Not for the weight savings but the peace of mind. As you probably know, bear-nappings and lion-nappings are deliciously wicked on the Legend Nov. crossings! However, at least two of the prime bear or lion "napping" suspects are not scheduled to be aboard this November; however, they could be traveling incognito using an alias! :eek: Cheers Norm! :)

I really can't believe anyone would leave their Bear at home Norm surely you don't think anyone on the next crossing will have any hanky panky with any kind of mascot - do you - you know how shy and quiet we all are!!!;)

I really can't believe anyone would leave their Bear at home Norm surely you don't think anyone on the next crossing will have any hanky panky with any kind of mascot - do you - you know how shy and quiet we all are!!!;)
Hi L & M,

LOL :D However, Norm was on the Legend eastbound crossing with CeeJay so I think he knows the score! ;)

Archived