Honolulu Hotel on a budget/priceline help

Lydia B.

Hi folks,

Going on the Nowegian POH next April. Will be arriving the night before around nine...then going to Pearl Harbor very early next morning...then onto boat. So very very little time in an actual hotel. What can you fine folks recommend in the way of a budget hotel to simply lay our hands down, don't even care if they have a pool...just clean and comfortable. The Holiday Inn Waikiki seems to have got descent reviews and looks reasonable ($100 w/o tax). Have any of you stayed there...or better yet success with Priceline on this particular hotel? Thanks so very much, Lydia of Ohio

We had family stay at the New Otani Beach Hotel. It is on the beach and under diamond head. The rooms are small japanese style but they said it was clean and comfortable, ocean views, pool, restaurants and out of the hustle and bustle of waikiki (which is what they wanted). It is next to Kapiolani park which is a nice recreation area to walk or exercise and next to the aquarium. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of waikiki. The rates are very reasonable also for being right on the beach.

A great CLEAN and nice place to stay for reasonable rates is the Aqua Palms. It is right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and so much more reasonable. We had a great view of Diamond Head and the beach from our 9th floor lanai which looked out on the HHV across the street. and the total price was $150. per night! Hard to beat for a view lke that! if you don't care about a view I believe you can get a room for 99. or under on a lower floor on the rear of the hotel! This hotel is rated #7 on Waikiki on Tripadvisor.com We were very happy we stayed there...and saved a BUNDLE over other rooms on Waikiki, and it is a 3*+ hotel! We even got free breakfast for pickup in a bag or delivered to your room (simple continental type, but nice!), but we had to ask for it when we made reservations. Otherwise I don't think everyone gets it. They have a coffee maker and coffee in the rooms, too - plus super comfortable beds, a safe, TV, small fridge and microwave. One hint: go through the Tripadvisor website and get the Travelocity price. then CALL the hotel # directly and make your reservations that way. Ask them if the can beat the on-line price quote you got. They did it for us and several other people where I got this hint from on Tripadvisor. This is pretty high season, but i am sure you can find something suitable. Also, the Aqua Palms is at the end of Waikiki closest to the Aloha Towers where the cruise ships dock so the taxi fare is a bit less. We paid a total of $18. for 2 of us and our luggage, which included tip.

You didn't mention if you'll be renting a car for going to Pearl Harbour the next morning. If you are renting a car and don't care to stay at Waikiki or not, then you can even stay by the airport. Honolulu and the cruise port, and Waikiki, are to the east of the airport while Pearl Harbour is to the west. If you stay at Waikiki or even Honolulu, then need to factor in higher cost for taxi.

If you rent a car, then you'll need to add parking ($15 and up) if staying at Waikiki. I remember last year while looking at hotels (I think there were 3) by the airport there is either no charge for parking or lower cost than Waikiki. If you don't rent a car you can get a free shuttle to the hotel by the airport. Next morning check out and leave your luggage at the hotel (they have rooms for that, complimentary) and take a taxi to Pearl Harbour. Then taxi back to hotel to pick up then to the Aloha Marketplace to catch the cruise.

If renting a car you are much more flexible in your time and travel.

Last year, Thrifty rental also provides free shuttle from the airport location to cruise port. They have different prices, so find out which (Entertainment, corporate, their own specials, etc.) is the cheapest.

thanks so much for the suggestions, keep em coming. I did call the Aqua Palms and got a good rate, the guy was funny he said "only one night you are killing me girl"...I also asked for the breakfast and although he moaned said find. He really was fun. I know we can get some shuttles to Peal Harbor the next morning, for not too much money and they we will just take a cab to the pier. Can't wait. I have friends on a land vacation there right now, just sent me photos. Oh my did it look gorgeous...I know they fell in love as they called me yesterday to say they bought a time share!! Lydia

Archived