Jr. suite perks?

A bathtub.

Seriously, you do get to use the suite check in when boarding which can be nice if the lines are long. That's pretty much it other than the room - the perks of the room itself are nice. You get bathrobes and I think you MIGHT have a better room service menu but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

You get 2 cruise credits for booking a Junior Suite towards C & A status. You don't get use of the Concierge Loung for a JS. Have to be a GS or OS. As mentioned you get express check in on embarkation. Room service should be same menu for all rooms.

Dave

I have seen this question before and you cannot check in the girls in a suite line if they are not in a suite. You would be better off to go to the regular line for all of you so you do not have to be in line twice. I don't know where your sailing from but if its prt canaveral the lines are not long anyways :)

Generally speaking, a cat. JS cabin is just another cabin without the perks of a suite. However, most of the time however RCI's staff mistakes the word suite as meaning exactly that, a suite.

Most slide by in the suite line for check in. We were the rare one's that did not. Many have reported getting robes for use onboard without asking, others have asked and received them and a few have asked and been refused (very few from what I can tell).

Tipping, most of the time, is reported as that of a standard cabin. Both times we've had a JS cabin our pre-paid tips were at the standard cabin rate.

As for the JS getting 2 cruise credits, it's a minor detail but it's an extra cruise credit, not two. It makes a difference if your on a 12+ night cruise. You would get 2 credits for the 12+ night cruise plus the extra cruise credit for the JS cabin, or three cruise credits. If you actually received 2 cruise credits for the JS, you'd get 4.

Since this is our first cruise, what do you mean by getting 2 cruise credits for booking the jr. suite? This is an aft balcony also, so that is good right? I hear good and bad reviews on aft balconies. So do you think we should try to get in the suite line for check in, I really do not want to wait in 2 lines since my girls have an interior room. We are on a 9 night eastern caribbean out of NJ. Has anyone checked in there for a suite and an interior room. I am sorry for all these questions, I am new to this.

Lisa,

I don't think you'll have any problem checking your girls in with you. They aren't going to make your girls go to a different line by themselves. We're Diamond and we often sail in a JS. We always check our friends in with us. No one seems to care. (All of those who pride themselves on being able to use the special line that only the privileged should use, feel free to flame me now! As if I care!)

I can also report that sometimes we've found the suite/diamond line hasn't yet been set up when we get to the port. Other times, the "lowly person" line is moving faster and we just use that. RCCL customer service at the piers has always been excellent, in our experience, so I don't think it's a big deal. (Unlike our experience on Carnival where we stood in line for over 2 hours in an un-air-conditioned building with my 86 year old grandmother. Now that was a miserable check-in. But that was over a decade ago.)

As for aft balconies, we've had JS or balcony or oceanview cabins in all parts of the ship on various styles of RCCL ships. We had an aft balcony (the much envied 1688) on the Explorer of the Seas. It was very nice. However, we like the junior suites so much that we would always book a junior suite anywhere on the ship instead of an aft regular balcony cabin (we'd take a junior suite over 1688, even). The nicest thing about the aft is the balconies (depending on ship) are generally much deeper and roomier than side balconies. With a junior suite at the aft, I think you'll really enjoy yourselves.

The disadvantages I've found with the aft are that the aft requires a lot more walking than a cabin close to the elevators and more movement coming into port. You also may get some residue on the balcony from the smokestack. My parents are elderly now, so I avoid the aft because it's just too far for them to walk each time we want to go to the dining room, to the shows, etc. If you don't mind a little walking (actually good with all the food), that won't be a problem. In 1688, the first time coming into port, I was in bed when a lot of vibration from the engines started. I didn't know what it was and got worried. I swear I thought I'd hear the announcement to grab your lifejacket and get to your muster station. Then, when I didn't hear that, I figured out it was because we were on the aft. Once I knew what it was, it didn't bother me at all. Finally, residue on the balcony chairs wasn't a big deal. We just wiped it off with a towel. So, other than the walking, which is only a problem for some, there is nothing to dislike and everything to like about the aft.

As for the junior suite, you will love it! Once we'd had one, we couldn't go back to anything less. Bathtub, huge walk-in closet (on Voyager class anyway) and very nice sitting area. One thing I really like is that the sitting area is by the sliding glass door. On Voyager class, in the smaller balcony cabin, the bed is by the window. So, to enjoy the ocean without being on your balcony (sometimes it's too windy or cold), you have to sit on the bed.

In a JS, you can sit on your sofa in your sitting area and watch the ocean even if it's windy or cold. Also, aft balconies are somewhat more sheltered from the wind than the side balconies, which is nice.

As for JS cruise credits, each person in the JS gets two credits toward Crown & Anchor higher status (a person in a regular cabin earns one). Platinum requires 5 cruise credits. So, you'd be there with three cruises instead of five cruises if you book JS's for at least two cruises. On longer cruises (10 day, 12 day, I'm not sure), you get one more extra cruise credit for a total of 3 if you stay in a JS. I think three is the maximum that can be earned on any one cruise.

I don't know which ship you'll be on, but I'm certain you'll be thrilled with your aft balcony and with your vacation. We've been on Vision Class, Voyager Class and Radiance Class ships with RCCL. We keep coming back for more.

Take a little time to savor the fact that this is your first cruise. All of our cruises have been great -- but there is so much wonder and amazement on the first one. The ship really is that big. The service really is that wonderful. They really do make your bed, clean your cabin twice a day, leave a chocolate and towel animals for you at night. The dining room truly is lovely. Gathering each evening for a multi-course meal really is pleasuable. There really is a show every night! They really do provide fun activities for the youngsters!

I remember the first time we took my brother and sister-in-law cruising (it was the Explorer). My brother was very reluctant to go. Didn't think he'd enjoy it, etc. Within two days, they told me it was, without a doubt, the best vacation they'd ever had.

So, sorry for the long post, but have a wonderful cruise!

Mdeniro,

Thank you soooo much for the wonderful response to my questions. We are on the Explorer. I did not know if I mentioned that before. Have you ever stayed in the Aft jr suite balcony rooms on the Explorer? Is there an obstructed view? We are on the 7th floor. I'm okay with the walking, will need to lose the extra weight we put on with all the food we will be eating. So the vibrations are definitely good enough to wake you up? Well, on the bright side, thats a good wake up call for us.

Since this is our first cruise, what do you mean by getting 2 cruise credits for booking the jr. suite? This is an aft balcony also, so that is good right? I hear good and bad reviews on aft balconies. So do you think we should try to get in the suite line for check in, I really do not want to wait in 2 lines since my girls have an interior room. We are on a 9 night eastern caribbean out of NJ. Has anyone checked in there for a suite and an interior room. I am sorry for all these questions, I am new to this.

Which ship are you sailing? We had JS aft last month and it was AWESOME!!! Great cabin, lots of room and a HUGE balcony!!! Sometimes JS can use suite priority check-in and some others on here said they've been denied priority check in. We just went in regular, because there was pratically no wait. We waited like 5 minutes, and also I was surprising DH with suite for 40th.

Have a great cruise!

Oh, and yes, 2 cruise credits for JS. You typically get one credit for a cruise, status of cruising for future perks... crown and anchor, and with JS you get 2 credits as opposed to one. We just got bumped to platinum since we got 2 on this past cruise...have a great cruise.

We are on the Explorer on the 7th deck. Hope it will be okay. Do you know if you get robes in your room? Or would we have to ask for them? I hear of people getting them and some not. Not too sure if I would use them, but hubby would love it. So you really like the AFT jr suite?

We are on the Explorer on the 7th deck. Hope it will be okay. Do you know if you get robes in your room? Or would we have to ask for them? I hear of people getting them and some not. Not too sure if I would use them, but hubby would love it. So you really like the AFT jr suite?

we were in 1694, deck 10 and LOVED this cabin. We didn't have robes in our room upon arrival, and never asked for any as we wouldn't have used them. So I would ask, it can't hurt.

Are u and DH only one's in this room? If so you will have sooooooo much room for the 2 of u. It was well more then enough for my DH and I and we are major overpackers!! You will have a great cabin, enjoy!

If I get a faster check-in, I also have another room across the hall for my girls, will I be able to check them in in the same line as us or no?

We were just on the Explorer out of NJ on 6/2, traveling with my parents who booked a JS. Even though we were not in a suite, we were allowed to check in with them because we were traveling together.

I really can't see paying for anything more than a JS on RCL. We've cruised on X and DCL in larger suites, but on those lines the larger suites are real suites, with separate bedrooms and extra bathrooms. The access to the Concierge Lounge is nice, but it depends on the itinerary. I probably wouldn't use it much on cruises that are port intensive.

If we're on RCL, for the money, we'd prefer a JS and a separate cabin for our kids. That way, you get a second bathroom and way more privacy:)

We've gotten suite check-in, express luggage, robes, and great cabin stewards in JSs.

KSinAZ

How did they like the jr suite? What was their room #? How was the balcony? Did they have an AFT cabin? Details, I need details......

I was going to reply but mdeniro did a great job of answering!

My family and I ONLY book the two aft balcony JS on deck 10 of Voyager/Explorer. These are fantastic rooms. HUGE balcony and a large room. More than double the size of a normally balcony. The balcony has an overhang and we sailed through many rainstorm still lounging on the balcony completely dry. And I mean LOUNGE. There are two or three chez loungers - not chairs. And a large table big enoug for a family of four to have breakfast on - not one of those cocktail sized tables on other balconies! Deck 10 afts are not obstructed (see links below for pics). Deck 7 does I think have some of the superstructure obstructing hte view. On deck 10 you are above the superstructure.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze77uo0/index.html (2004 and 2005 pics)

http://community.webshots.com/user/logansdad101

Check out especially:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/498151418/1498174496080542756WiEgSq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/490906504/1491874888080542756BChlJD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/489707745/1490161453080542756khSqUL

Okay, so are you saying the the jr sute aft balcony has a superstructure blocking the balcony view? I was not aware of the. We are smack in the middle of the back. Has anyone stayed in #7694? Is the balcony blocked?

I was going to reply but mdeniro did a great job of answering!

My family and I ONLY book the two aft balcony JS on deck 10 of Voyager/Explorer. These are fantastic rooms. HUGE balcony and a large room. More than double the size of a normally balcony. The balcony has an overhang and we sailed through many rainstorm still lounging on the balcony completely dry. And I mean LOUNGE. There are two or three chez loungers - not chairs. And a large table big enoug for a family of four to have breakfast on - not one of those cocktail sized tables on other balconies! Deck 10 afts are not obstructed (see links below for pics). Deck 7 does I think have some of the superstructure obstructing hte view. On deck 10 you are above the superstructure.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze77uo0/index.html (2004 and 2005 pics)

http://community.webshots.com/user/logansdad101

Check out especially:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/498151418/1498174496080542756WiEgSq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/490906504/1491874888080542756BChlJD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/489707745/1490161453080542756khSqUL

we were just on Explorer 1694 and we did not have that larger table you stated and show in your pics. We had 2 chaise longes and 2 regular chairs and a small cocktail type table. We would have preferred a larger table for breakfast, as on the smaller table even 1 tray would not fit. I stated in my review on last month's cruise that it appeared the outdoor balcony furniture seemed sparce, as u know how u can look down into everyon'e balcony from deck 10 right? Well directly below our aft JS there's the Royal Family Suite and that balcony as 2 sections, right? Well the area under ours had not a stitch of outdoor furniture and the area to the right had the larger table u show in your pic and only 3 regular sitting chairs around it. I'd be ticked if I had that suite and no furniture to enjoy our balcony.

Yes, deck 10 AFT is awesome to say the least!! Will be hard to ever want any other type of balcony cabin, as this was by far the largest balcony we've had too, especially for just 2 of us!

Okay, so are you saying the the jr sute aft balcony has a superstructure blocking the balcony view? I was not aware of the. We are smack in the middle of the back. Has anyone stayed in #7694? Is the balcony blocked?

Here are some pics from BonnieVoyager, there are some pics on last page of the Explorer's sister ship, Mariner, of your exact cabin and balcony. So u can see, the metal thingy is no big deal...you'll have a great view and cabin! Also on 1st page she labels aft cabins, so u can see it there too. Enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

we were just on Explorer 1694 and we did not have that larger table you stated and show in your pics. We had 2 chaise longes and 2 regular chairs and a small cocktail type table. We would have preferred a larger table for breakfast, as on the smaller table even 1 tray would not fit.

Yipes! We sailed that room twice on Voyager out of Bayonne and both times had 2 or 3 chez loungers, 2 regular balcony chaors and the bigger table. It was a perfect setup for all four of us! I'm very dissapointed to hear about the furniture situation! I have heard others say they requested poolside chez loungers be brought to the balcony of the aft JSs. We may have to do that, but getting the bigger table might be a problem. I'm a 'squeeky wheel' type (in a polite way!) so if I don't have the "right set" of furniture I'll talk to the purser. Thanks for the heads up!!!

I stated in my review on last month's cruise that it appeared the outdoor balcony furniture seemed sparce, as u know how u can look down into everyon'e balcony from deck 10 right? Well directly below our aft JS there's the Royal Family Suite and that balcony as 2 sections, right? Well the area under ours had not a stitch of outdoor furniture and the area to the right had the larger table u show in your pic and only 3 regular sitting chairs around it. I'd be ticked if I had that suite and no furniture to enjoy our balcony.

I agree! That Family Royal suite below is darned expensive and a big advantage is that two section large balcony. Especially as that suite is made for 6-8 people. I've always looked down at all the aft balconies to see plenty of loungers and big tables. Sounds like Explorer didn't get enough of the furniture like Voyager has!

Those strips of metal become invisible to most after about 1/2 day. They are designed in such a way to be pretty unobtrusive to most people. Pictures don't really convey the situation well. That said, it's probably a personal opinion type thing and the lower decks (6,7,8) in hte aft are lower down and so have more of that superstructure visible. On deck 9 and especially 10 those rails are not a factor (IMHO)

Lisa,

Glad my post was helpful. You will love the Explorer! Sorry I can't speak to the issue about blocked views from Deck 7. Our aft cabin was on 10, so it wasn't an issue for us.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Archived