Lloyds bike tour

Izzys mom

My husband and I did the bike tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Lloyd is a colorful character and he showed us a lot of things that you may not find on your own. He took us into Key West's great cemetery and also into a secret garden. I would recommend this excursion to anyone.

Sheryl

• 2 months later...
Thanks Sheryl. I think we will try this.

Did you end up doing it? Any feedback? Thinking of doing this with dh in November. We've been to KW a few times, but wanted to do something different as have never done any sort of organized tour while there. TIA

• 5 months later...

We had such a great time with Lloyd. We booked through the ship this time, but I'm sure you can do it independently. Lloyd is one of the great KW characters. He took us totally off the beaten track and really enjoyed our time in KW. Go for it. It'll be a blast.

• 5 weeks later...

Soo...would this be the same as booking it through the ship? I noticed they are the same price.

Also my hubby wants to know about the cigar aspect of this journey--if applicabale?? I noticed on Carnivals site it says.."Learn about cigar making, sponging, piracy, and treasure salvaging"--he wants to know if you can buy cigars??

When my husband and I did Lloyd's tour it did not contain any of these subjects. We went to the old cemetery, the new pier, a secret garden, and a few other places but I am sure he has changed his tour in the past couple of years since we were with him. If you can not buy cigars on the tour there are many places in Key West to buy them. There are many places along Duval Street and other places like Front Street and Schooner's Wharf. Have fun. Lloyd is a hoot.:D

Sheryl

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the number and website bhopal21 & JoanneF. Unfortunately I called Lloyd and he is unavailable for a tour on Monday's.....has a meeting with visitors at a resort at around 10:00 and we leave at 3:00! Any other suggestions for a tour guide? Not really interested in taking the tour from the ship because I feel it will be way too many people! Thanks for any advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. That last link wasn't guided tours.

I got this from Frommer's...

Parrotheads on Parade
-- For Jimmy Buffett fans, or Parrotheads as they're also known, there's
(tel.
305/292-2040
), an amusing 90-minute walking tour providing fans with an officially sanctioned peek at the stamping grounds of Buffett's carefree days in Key West back in the 1970s. Decked out in full Parrothead regalia -- Hawaiian shirts and parrot hats -- the informative and often hilarious guides lead you past the hangouts and other high points of Buffett's Key West, spinning yarns about the musician and Key West in general. The tour departs daily at 4pm from
Captain Tony's Saloon,
428 Greene St., where Buffett used to hang out and perform, and ends at -- you guessed it -- Margaritaville Cafe, on Duval Street. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for locals with ID, and $10 for children 6 to 10. Bring cash or traveler's checks; no credit cards are accepted. Reservations are required at least 2 days in advance.
Note:
If you're not a huge fan of Jimmy Buffett, you might want to skip this tour, as the price is relatively steep and you probably won't be as interested in these attractions as diehard types.

There's also the tour of the Harry S. Truman's Little White House, which is highly rated, and lasts for a little over an hour. Combine that with the Hemingway House Tour, and that's a good afternoon.

And of course, there is the infamous Pub Crawl tour and the much less intoxicating but no less enjoyable Taste of Key West tour.

I hope these were some help!

If anyone is interested in doing their own walking or bike tour, stop into the Chamber of Commerce, located just off Mallory Square, next to the Sponge Market and across from the Shipwreak Museum. They usually carry free copies of Sharon Wells' Guide. She offers detailed walking and bike tours broken down into each neighborhood or area, and includes descriptions of the historic sights of Key West. If the Chamber is out of the books, try any of the shops. They used to carry copies, also. The booklet is a very handy guide, and is a good alternative to guided tours.

Try these websites: www.seekeywest.com or www.kwlightgallery.com

Mary

Archived