Cash or credit

lyttleone1977

I'd be interested to know as well. From reading this board, it appears that several of the small businesses only take Cayman Dollars and give change in Cayman Dollars. If so, what's the exchange rate?

We mostly used credit cards. When we were there this past January, the US Dollar was worth 80 cents to the Cayman Dollar. Always ask what your bill will be in US dollars. They will either write it in, or there will be an additional line that the cash register will total this for you. The first time you look at a menu, you will think it's not too expensive. But you have to remember they are going to charge you 35% more....20 for the exchange difference, and 15 for the tip.

When we did use cash, sometimes they gave us Cayman money for our change. A couple of times I asked for US change and they gave it to me...if they had it. We were there for a week and didn't encounter a single store that wouldn't take the US Dollar. They are quite accommodating. :)

I'd say do what is most convienient for you. Cayman is a safe place, and I had no worries using my cc there. I know cc theft can happen anywhere, but we've not ever had a problem using a cc while in GC.

One thing to watch is the tip. Most places will automatically add this on to your food and beverage total. I think they add on 15%. We usually added on another 5% or so if the service was good (and it almost always was).

Cayman is expensive...but total paradise. I can't wait to get back there next January for our "family" vacation. We just loved the place and the people.

Depends. Your credit card company may charge you something on the foreign transaction. Since the official rate (today) has the Cayman Dollar worth less than $1.20 US, you might want them to charge you Cayman dollars and you could come out ahead. All kinds of fund and games you can play when dealing with 2 different currencies.

We used cash most of the time, i have been to Cayman 4 times and have never come across any store that did not except U.S dollars they sometimes do try to give you change in cayman, just tell them you would like U.S change.

We have used our AmEx a few times and some stores did charge an extra fee for CC purchases but there was always a sign posted.

Archived