Seward to Anchorage

KAYEF

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get from Seward to the Anchorage Airport using a cruiseline transfer?

Is it better to make independent transfer plans?

What's the earliest I can plan to fly out of Anchorage?

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get from Seward to the Anchorage Airport using a cruiseline transfer?

Is it better to make independent transfer plans?

What's the earliest I can plan to fly out of Anchorage?

It's been several years since we did the trip, but I seem to remember it taking at least 3 hours on the train. A bus might take longer.

Hopefully, someone with a more recent experience and a better memory will hop in with an answer for you.

• 10 months later...

I see it is 125 miles from Anchorage Int. Airport to Seward Cruise Ship Terminal.

Hertz has rental car locations in both spots. The bus costs $84 pp. I can rent for $85. Is it worth it to just drive ourselves so we can stop and enjoy the scenery or should we leave the driving to professionals?

I haven't been able to find out anything about the quality of the road.

We took the train from Seward to Anchorage a couple of years ago. It was so easy! We were the first group off the boat, checked our luggage at the AA counter in Seward and got on a train to the airport. We were able to sit back and watch the beautiful scenery from the comfort of a nice train. I think the train was faster than the bus. Also, the train ended right at the Anchorage airport. It has been a few years, but I think we were at the airport by noon at the latest. We booked this from HAL as a shore excursion.

It's been about 3 years, but I honestly don't remember any places to really stop a car on the way. IMHO I would use the train or the cruise ship transfer and sit back and enjoy the scenery. It was my only chance of the trip to see Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in North America. If I would have rented a car and been dealing with driving, I would not have been able to enjoy this spectacular view. (Not that the road is difficult).

If you don't drive, try to sit on the side of the bus or the car that would be opposite the driver on the bus (if you are going from Anchorage to Seward).

Archived