200% surcharge on single pax

pattycakes

teedee: thanks but a google search provide like 10,000 hits most for tours and europe -- if you happen to have info, would you mind sharing privately

aptrabbitatyahoo.com -- p.s. I'll get the senior discount 10 days before you do!

Would you be willing to send me the link also to the solo-travelers travel agent(s) you know ~ I would appreciate it as well ~ Els

elsjeW@cox.net

Pattycakes (message #5) and Lysolqn (message #10):

What you have both described is quite accurate and very true. I think that no matter how you look at it, for those of us who can only travel solo, we are definitely being penalized for not having someone else to share a cabin with. Depending on what your life circumstances may be, sometimes it really does seem unfair. But, the bottom line here is that money makes the world go round and so that wins over us.

On the other hand, I have sometimes traveled solo also. A friend of mine once mentioned that when he travels alone, he always checks for cruise prices for a single cabin and a double cabin and occasionally he has booked double cabin (even if he knows that the 2nd passenger is not traveling) and still comes out ahead than if he booked a single cabin. It really took me several months to understand this concept until one day he walked me through the steps and I finally saw what he was talking about and I agree with him. Have done this on two occasions and while I still have to pay a hefty fine for travelling single I am still coming out ahead than if I had booked a single cabin.

Here's an explanation that you can do for yourself:

NOTE: Please keep in mind that this example is not valid 100% of the time so you just have to take the chance.

1) Go into any website where you can book cruises online and look up prices for a single cabin and for a double cabin. Chances are that the price would be similar for the same cabin. However,

2) There are times when, as lisolgn has described, in order for the cruise line to make up for lost revenue, they will only sell a higher category cabin as a single cabin. For example (as happened to me on my last transatlantic), I could only occupy an outside/ocean view cabin as a single passenger for $1800. However, if I booked as a double cabin, I could occupy an inside cabin for 2 passengers for a total of $1200. Guess what I did? I booked the inside as a double with the name of a relative and when I showed up at the dock I just said that he wasn't able to make it. You are not going to get that money back but you still have a single cabin for $1200 vs. $1800. If the lower price accommodation is not a problem for you (such as inside vs. oceanview or oceanview vs. balcony), then do this.

I have since learned that there are quite a few out there who are aware of this and take advantage of this opportunity. Again, please keep in mind that this situation does not occur for every sailing but when it does, take advantage of it.

Sometimes you have to be creative to beat the cruise lines at their game.

Wow ~ that makes sense. Thank you for sharing this information ~ Els

I have two cruises booked on Carnival because they have rooms which are configured just for singles. On the Conquest, I'm paying only 124% and on the Liberty I'm paying 133 %. That's a huge difference from double the price per person on some of the other lines. I've heard from a lot of people that Carnival on the 7-day and longer cruises has improved tremendously. Also, these are group cruises with a group of witty and classy people I'm involved with on another travel vacation site, so I know I'll enjoy the companionship.

Most of the Carnival single rooms are inside, but some have portholes and windows.

I've never cruised Carnival before, but trust the judgment of the people who are telling me that Carnival has really changed.

Wish me luck. :)

Allen

Hi I too am trying to find the best prices for single cruising. I am doing X Century and I think I have paid 200% for it. However I had been going to take my sister and so I would have been paying this in any case. I got a little discount off from my T/A but they are not so keen to discount cruise only.

Also because I booked on board I have got $200 on board spending which helps.

I would be very glad of any advice that would result in a lower price. I too must look at the book for 2 and see what happens.

I was told from my T/A that it was better to book with my sister and have her name taken off prior to final payment than to try to add her name at final payment.

I think I would have been slightly better off if she decided not to go but I don't really know what the best way to beat the system is.

I think T/A cruises have a slightly better deal for single cruising but this may have only applied to my Galaxy cruise.

I think we just need to keep plugging away at the Cruise Lines but will they listen?

Sue

well I never even really expected to hear from as many people in the same situation -- maybe we should do a group petition to X.

If I do happen to find anything else I will keep you posted and of course, if anyone comes up with any more ideas, please share!

The problem is that I would like to sail with some friends who are already booked. Normally, I would be pretty selective about what type of cabin I want, but in this case, since I know there's a surcharge, I'm trying to do it as economically as possible. You can check out the logistics by trying to book the Zenith in the upcoming 3 weeks entering 1 or 2 passengers to confirm what I'm talking about -- its doesn't only limit me on X's site -- its the same on the other big sites as well and I did call the CC and they confirmed this. I agree, I think its insane at this point being so close to the cruise -- you would think at least they would open up the category choices.

Maybe I'll just raffle off the other berth!

Well, gosh, since you'll have that other space anyway I'll just go along so it won't seem so empty!!:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've booked a lot of singles and have never ran into a case where I was restricted on the choice of category. Sometimes things are available that you can't book online so I would check with a travel agent and see what they can get for you. I understand both the clients position and the cruiseline's. I really feel that 150% is much more equitable. There are many times when they waive the single supplement on certain sailings but they just never seem to be when we need them!

els and allen I forwarded info re a website that was referred to me.

Thanks, Patty! I had been wondering why it hadn't come yet, and then checked my Spam block list, and it had come through there. I've signed up for the newsletter and got my welcome letter already.

Thanks again!!!!

Allen

Archived