Grilled Cheese

star65

Okay silly question, my seven year old LIVES on grilled cheese when we are on vacation, luckily its on most kids menus, but I noticed it isn't on Carnivals. Do you think they would make it for her? THANKS

I have two picky little eaters myself. On our last cruise my daughter didn't like the raspberry ice cream they offered and wanted a different flavor. They told her that the ship makes up the menus, compiles a food list, and buys exactly what they need for that cruise. The space is limited and they buy exactly what they need. Unfortunately they didn't have the specific flavor of ice cream she wanted. But they bent over backwards to find something she did like. If they have the ingredients I'm sure they will try to make it for her. The question is, will they have the ingredients for it. If not, you might bring along some snacks and goodies you know she likes as a back up plan.

I bet they'd make a grilled cheese sandwich for your little one. I've never seen any kitchen that didn't have bread, cheese, mayo, and butter. I've seen waiters go out of their way to please the kiddies.

Kids just might surprise you by (maybe?) wanting to try different foods, since they're on vacation and in a completely different environment. Might make them feel 'special' to have exotic (to them) food?

I realize that everybody's different, but... I always got my kids to at least try new things - at home as well as away. Broadens their little horizons, so to speak. :)

Thanks for the replies. I hope I can convince them to make it for her occasionally. At home she likes to try new things, but when we are away I think its a comfort to her to just stick to what she loves!

You're a wise mommy, Star. You know what you little one likes, and it IS her vacation, too.:)

I've seen kids at nearby tables ask for other things that weren't on the menu. On one cruise, a little guy got a fried egg sandwich and fries and put mustard on the fries:eek: every night in the dining room!

Just ask and you WILL receive!

Just back from the Victory! Any ship with a deli can make grilled cheese. They have this sandwich press thing they use to make Reubans. You may have to tell them how to make the sandwich but it can be done. The deli had a set menu but they would make you anything with the ingredients they have. Hope this helps.

On the Pride in December our waiter would encourage the 10 year old (who is VERY picky) to try new stuff but promised him if he didn't like it he would bring him something else. Most nights he would order beef or something he knew was OK but on those nights that he was adventures our waiter delivered as promised (hamburger and fries).

We'll be on the Pride next week and I'm hoping my kids will try new foods. Also with the promise of a hamburger if they don't like it, what does it hurt to try. I figure a cruise is a great time to try new stuff since I wont' be hassling my kids about wasting money on food they don't eat (as long as they truly are not wasting food just to waste it.)

Elise

How I got my kids to try new foods especailly on a cruise I would order one thing for the table that we never ever had before to try and pass around. This worked well with the soups. The waiter would bring it and we would take a taste then pass it. Then we voted it it was a thunbs up or down. We found we loved the Strawberry and pumpkin soups but that pheasant was way to boney for any of us. It made the dinner fun and light and we got to try new things that we normally couldnt. Same goes for a dessert with a name that doesnt sound familiar.

I went on my first cruise when I was 17 and my sisters were 15, we are not overly picky eaters but our waiter was always great about encouraging us to eat new food and made sure if we didn't like it he brought us something else, it was my waiter on that cruise that started my love for escargo! :D

BTW, can you describe how they taste? I am not sure that I am as daring as you, but I am thinking I should try. :)

Aww, go ahead and try. Be brave. Actually, what you taste mostly when having escargot is the garlic-butter!

Cotton - I'm a little off topic here, but what does mayo have to do with a grilled cheese sandwich? (shudders) I'm with you on bread, butter, and cheese, but it's a 3 ingredient entree at my house. Just curious - lol!

I bet they'd make a grilled cheese sandwich for your little one. I've never seen any kitchen that didn't have bread, cheese, mayo, and butter.

Mayo? I've never heard of putting mayo on a grilled cheese. Am I the only one?

We have sailed with our ten year old several times now and Carnival has been incredible to her. On the Victory, she took the initiative at the Deli and told the sandwich maker just how to make her grilled cheese. Then, they experimented each day at lunch - she was eating grilled cheese and turkey, grilled cheese and ham, and the ultimate grilled cheese with lettuce, tomato and turkey - I had never been able to get her to eat raw tomato's - now she wants them on every sandwich.

Also, although she is not a real pickey eater, she will try foods, by the end of the cruise she had her favorites, one of which as the pumpkin soup - I had told her it tasted like pumpkin pie, she loves that, and she was hooked. She tried the Beef Wellington and never once questioned the liver pate on it, much to my surprise.

She really enjoyed some nights in the dining room with us and some nights with the kids at Camp Carnival. All and all it was a wonderful experience for her, we're now counting the days until we cruise the Legend in October.

When it comes to children - just ask, I have never seen anyone try to please the children more than Carnival does.

Oh, did I mention the cookies that were left by her pillow for a late night snack? Special towel animals left on her bed using her sunglasses, hats, etc., laying our her pjs for her?

Carnival is AWESOME for children!

:D :D Travel & Kristi ~ I've never had a grilled cheese sandwich without mayo! You just put a very thin coating of mayo on the bread, put the cheese on, put a thin coating of butter on the outside and grill! Yummy. Don't knock it till you try it!:D

I'd guess that I'm probably the only one who likes to use several types of cheese? Grew up eating ONLY American slices. Now I use 2-3 different cheeses in one sandwich - whatever I have on hand. Super yummy.

I would say it's a 'regional thing', but Orange, TX isn't that far from me, so ??? Once, when I was in Wisconsin, a friend made grilled cheese sandwiches, and she put butter inside and outside the bread. Now that's a bit too much butter for me, but I ate it. It was ok, but I made the next batch using mayo, and now she says her family won't eat them w/o mayo! Live and learn, huh?

Archived