NCL Sun to Alaska

jetta2828

My family and I are going on this ship to Alaska on July 8. This is our first trip to Alaska. We are from Miami and looking foward to the scenery and slighty cold weather (rememeber to us 60 degrees is freezing). I am 27 and my husband is 29, we are taking our 3 year old son as well. I am looking for some advice as to what to do in all the stops. Also how is the ship? Is it entertaining when we are out at sea? We have taken many cruises but all to the carribean....Meaning on days at the sea you are usually by the pool sipping on pina coladas while listening to a calipso band. I know that I won't be doing this on this one but I need some help on what to expect. We are very excited but are sort of lost puppies from Miami. Also don't know if anyone has taken a child to one of these cruises?Let me know how that was.....

Thanking you in advanced,

Mrs. Looking foward to get out of this heat and enjoy COLD weather

jetta2828 -

I'd suggest you check out the cruise critic "ports" link at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=1

as well as the message boards at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Most of the cruise lines use the same tour operators and there are fantastic excursions in Alaska --- pick whatever interests you and go for it !!!

Enjoy your cruise -- and the beautiful weather.

Dave

My family and I are going on this ship to Alaska on July 8. This is our first trip to Alaska. We are from Miami and looking foward to the scenery and slighty cold weather (rememeber to us 60 degrees is freezing). I am 27 and my husband is 29, we are taking our 3 year old son as well. I am looking for some advice as to what to do in all the stops. Also how is the ship? Is it entertaining when we are out at sea? We have taken many cruises but all to the carribean....Meaning on days at the sea you are usually by the pool sipping on pina coladas while listening to a calipso band. I know that I won't be doing this on this one but I need some help on what to expect. We are very excited but are sort of lost puppies from Miami. Also don't know if anyone has taken a child to one of these cruises?Let me know how that was.....

Thanking you in advanced,

Mrs. Looking foward to get out of this heat and enjoy COLD weather

Jetta, I sincerely hope you like the Sun as much as we do; we have cruised her twice. As for activities, your son should enjoy his time in kids camp and this will give you time to enjoy yourself as well. Not that you won't enjoy yourself with him, but you know what I mean. yes, there are activities while at sea. An Alaskan cruise is very different than a Caribbean one. Hopefully you will be able to sit outside, depending on the weather you may be surprised. As for tours: this is such a hard decision; we never know what is right and wrong. I will tell you our favorite tour in Alaska was in Skagway. We got off the ship and were headed to town. There was a local van that would take us for $1 each (7 years ago) We decided to do it that way and while on the van learned the Van owner also did skagway tours. For $30 (probably $40 ot $50 now) he spent the entire morning with us including a drive to the Yukon territory. It was probably the best tour or one of the best we have even taken. I don't know the name of the company, but if you can get something like that it should work for all 3 of you.

Hope this is a start, I am sure others will give you ideas as well. I just do want to stress cruising Alaska is different like I said. Not better, not worse, just different. NMNita

Was on the Sun to Alaska 2 years ago. This was my first NCL cruise and we loved it. I am so used to Princess so going to a different cruise line was hard. You have to forget the old and accept the new. I hear that the kids program is great. Also, there are many restaurants on the Sun that are free, but you have to make reservations. We did not know this when we were on it. Last year we went on the Star and that is when we found out that some of the resturants were free, and all you had to do was make a reservation. The buffet on the Sun is much better than the Star. I hope that you have a great cruise.

Archived