Upgrade possible with a assigned cabin #???

marcyjane

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]Hi,[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]Was talking with Carnival Rep. today after seeing that the price had dropped a couple hundred dollars on our up coming cruise.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]I joked with the Rep. and said, "now put a star by my name for the upgrade fairy to see" and he said, "well you have a assigned cabin # already", you can't get upgrade when you have an assigned cabin.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]Ok guys, those of you that have gotten up grades, tell me your stories.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]What's strange is I told him that last year on our cruise we had an assigned cabin # for 9 mos. and 3 week before cruise date were called by Carnival to see if we would like an upgrade. He told me that was strange and very usual. We'll it happen!!! So what do you all think?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#800080]Thanks[/color][/size][/font]

I too think its unusal. People who have assigned cabins do so for reasons. I, for one will be very unhappy if Carnival upgraded me. I have an aft cabin and I wouldnt even take a category 11. I book my cruise far enough in advance so I can have that cabin.
But I have heard it IS done. Some people even fight for their old cabin back.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]From what I understand from my Carnival PVP... If you have an assigned cabin, that's the cabin you'll be in. Now, what CAN happen is, if somebody else really, really wants that particular cabin, Carnival will call YOU to see if you really, really want that cabin OR if you would like an upgrade. (If nobody asks for that cabin, you'll be status quo, in the cabin you originally booked.)[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff]Serene, not to worry. They would never upgrade you without your knowledge once you've booked an assigned cabin. Rest easy, my friend.:) [/color][/size][/font][/b]

I booked a specific cabin, because I wanted to have one of those oft spoken aft cabins.

I called my TA one day, and she informs me I had been upgraded, and my heart sank.

Did a scramble for a deck layout, only to find I still had an aft cabin, but two decks up.

Never found out what that was about, but I didn't complain. Deck 7 in an aft cabin docked in Bermuda was absolute HEAVEN.

We had a 6D assigned on our Elation trip, and called our TA to inquire about the cost of upgrading to a suite. It was too high for us, so we didn't take it, but two weeks later, Carnival had upgraded us to a cat 12. The only way I knew was when the picture of our cabin changed on their website, and I found our new room with the Kelly method.

Our docs still said our old room, but we called Carnival after receiving the docs, and we were definitely upgraded. I guess since we had called to ask about it, they assumed we would want it, and didn't let anyone (us or our TA) know about the new room.

Needless to say, we didn't mind at all! :D

NRGO: Welcome to the boards An aft cabin is on the direct back of the ship across the back. A room on a ship is called a cabin.

Peter: you mean to tell me when that TA called and said you were upgraded you said ok and let it go at that--what would you have done if you were not on the aft again.

Cotton: when we sailed the VOyager we booked an aft that had spots for 3 people. We were told in the begining that if 3 people wanted that cabin we would be moved. (I thought that sucked)

Aft cabins are at the rear. On some, you get a full wrap around deck for the same price as a "regular" room.

We are booked in that category for Victory sailing this summer. I wouldn't change it for anything, and asked that our TA make a notation to that effect on our booking.

We went on the Spirit in January and we booked an 8H. We did book a SPECIFIC cabin #. When we got to the port, we were told we were upgraded to an 11. Was THRILLED!!! The cabin we had originally selected WAS aft, but it was NOT one of those wraparound balconies.

[b][color=#2f4f4f]BOW = The front part of a ship.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]STERN = The rear of a ship.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]AFT = Toward or in the rear (stern) of a ship.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f].....or as a nautical friend always says, "[i]Aft is anything past the bow; the bar is past the bow, and the drinking lamp is LIT!" :D [/i][/color][/b]

[quote name='serene56']

Peter: you mean to tell me when that TA called and said you were upgraded you said ok and let it go at that--what would you have done if you were not on the aft again.[/QUOTE]

NO NO NO NO NO NO.......

within 30 seconds of the blood rushing to my eyes and ears I was told the upgrade was to a higher room in the aft. I was on the Carnival website within seconds locating my new accomodations. I know not what I would have done if I was told otherwise.

Interestingly enough, when I got my docs (day before sailing, mind you), I got two separate documents for BOTH ROOMS. I kept looking down to see if anyone was assigned that cabin, and by the end of the week, I saw someone had. I left the second set in my car.

[color=navy]We were on a cc group cruise on the Miracle and my SIL & BIL had an 8G assigned cabin. Carnival upgraded them to a cat 11 suite without asking and gave their room away before they even spoke to them. The suite was beside the aft wraparounds and they were a little unsure about being that far back but they had no choice.[/color]

We were in an assigned cabin and had a price drop. I asked for a ship credit and instead were upgraded from a cat 8 (not sure of the letter but on the Empress Deck) to a cat 11 mini-suite. Didn't use a travel agency...used cruisequick.com. Keep after your travel agency!!

[quote name='mnsawyer']We were in an assigned cabin and had a price drop. I asked for a ship credit and instead were upgraded from a cat 8 (not sure of the letter but on the Empress Deck) to a cat 11 mini-suite. Didn't use a travel agency...used cruisequick.com. Keep after your travel agency!![/QUOTE]

But you were on the phone with them and they gave you the upgrade. There is a difference between that and Carnival just giving us an upgrade without asking.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=green]A previous poster mentioned that if you book an assigned cabin that Carnival would NOT upgrade you without calling you and asking you for your permission first. This is not correct (at least in my case twice!!)....on all three of our cruises, we have booked assigned cabins. Two of those times we booked a category 9A cabin with the wrap around balcony ...on both of those cruises, we were given an upgrade. Noone called us to ask us if we wanted the upgrade....and needless to say, on our first cruise when I got to the port and found we had been moved, my heart sank....I was really looking forward to that big balcony! After a hassle, we were able to get our original cabin back. (on our first cruise, they told us they had given our cabin to a Carnival employee!:mad: Apparently they like the big balconies too!)[/color][/size][/font]
[size=3][/size]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=green]I hope I am the exception to the rule, as I think people who book assigned cabins do so for a reason. I just wanted to clarify that you CAN unknowingly be moved from your assigned cabin ...apparently ANYthing is possible![/color][/size][/font]
[size=3][/size]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=green]cantwait2cruz2: The cabins with the wrap around balconies are great! The cabins aren't much (if any) bigger than the category 8 cabins. (these cabins are configured differently depending on the class of the ship and the deck they are on) The views from the balcony are amazing....now I'm spoiled and can't imagine cruising without the huge balcony...I have some pictures of our 9A cabins & balconies here:[/color][/size][/font]
[size=3][/size]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=green][url="http://community.webshots.com/user/kristineth"]http://community.webshots.com/user/kristineth[/url][/color][/size][/font]

Depending on which ship those wrap arounds are either a 9A or an 11A. The cabins are the same size but the balcony is huge. Since there is only 2 of us going I cant use all that space so I just get a balcony on the aft. Just as big without the added wasted space.

Kris: what were they going to upgrade you to?

What is special and what is an aft cabin? Also, I just booked on the Miracle for March 2005. How did you like the ship? Were you traveling with kids? I will be with a 9 year old and an 11 year old. I can use any advice.
Carol

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=green]Serene: They wanted to upgrade us to a cat 11 suite. (I know..I know...poor ungrateful me!!) I'm sure most people would be thrilled with that, however, we weren't interested in the extra cabin space, extra bar glasses, tub or vcr.....we wanted to be aft and have the wrap around balcony with the amazing views....not mid-ship with a smaller balcony! I spent lots of time preparing for my first cruise and studying the deck plans & cabin layouts & booked my cabin a year in advance....that's why I was disappointed; if I wanted the suite, I would have booked it. I was under the impression (from when I began reading these boards a few years ago) that booking an assigned cabin meant you would not be moved...that's why when people ask, I have to jump in....I think you always have to prepare for the unexpected!![/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#008000][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#008000]momoriarty: an aft cabin is at the back of the ship. Some people (like me) prefer this location...the views from the back of the ship are great....and it's quiet back there, not a lot of traffic in the halls. I haven't been on the Miracle, but I have been on her sister ship the Pride...that's been my favorite ship so far. We had a category 11 aft with a wrap around balcony on that cruise....if you can get one of those, go for it.....those cabins are the BEST!!!!:D Have a great cruise![/color][/size][/font]

I had originally booked an 8A (assigned cabin) on my Spirit Honolulu to Vancouver cruise last year, when the prices went down I called by CVS at Carnival about the reduction and was told I could either have my balance due reduced (final payment wasn't due yet) or upgrade to an 8E.....well we looked at the available 8E's and I picked one and that was what was assigned to me...............a little while later I thought to ask about the difference in the 8E and a Cat. 11.........was told the difference and passed on the 11. About an hour later I got a call offering me the 11 for less than a few moments before, at a really reasonable difference so I took it.
Lorna

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=royalblue]Thanks for all the information on upgrades.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#4169e1][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#4169e1]I now have one more question. In case and if we happen to be upgraded and not know until we get to the pier, what about our docs with the old cabin # and the luggage tags on your luggage that you have given to the porter to take to the ship?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#4169e1]Do the porters have a list to check when they take your luggage to see if you cabin # has changed? :confused: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#4169e1]You know, if that happen I would sure like to have a deck plan to check out that cabin in case like another posters said, I might want my old cabin back.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#4169e1]Thanks[/color][/size][/font]

If you are upgraded and the cabin is not listed in your documents the Porters will know where your cabin is and they even will have luggage tags for you. Take a copy of the brochure for your ship. Its better then the ship map of the deck plans. Those things are tiny.

The cabin stewards will not necessarily know you've been upgraded. For our cruise last week, we had booked specific Cat 8 cabins on Empress. At check-in, we were told we had been upgraded to Cat 11. When I asked about the luggage, they told me to tell my cabin steward who would then go get my luggage from the original cabin. Not a big deal as we were actually only down the hall two cabins. About 3:00 we saw our luggage at the original cabins and went and got it ourselves.

• 1 month later...
Our documents say "guaranteed OV", which I know means Ocean View. My TA called today (we leave Sunday!!) and said we would not have a cabin assignment until we get there. We booked a guaranteed 6A. Now I am very worried we will have the bottom of the barrel when we get there!!

Archived