Jeep rental in Grand Cayman

yvonne1

Has anyone ever rented a jeep and done Rum Point on your own rather than in a tour? I was looking at the Jeep Safari that ends at Rum Point but am wondering if just 2 hours is enough at Rum Point. Is there a place to rent jeeps within walking distance of the pier? Is driving difficult in GC for anyone not familiar with it?

We were there for a week, and driving around the island was our main concern. We worried needlessly. For one thing, traffic doesn't move that fast there, and the drivers are very courteous. There are those roundabouts, but they were no problem (you yield to those already inside). We chose a car that had the steering on the left, which we are used to and that seemed to make navigating easier since we were driving a vehicle where all the mechanics were where we were used to them being.

We rented from Andy's (we flew in and picked up our car at the airport). They have another location along 7MB and I've read that they will meet you at the port area and take you to the rental car.

I think renting a car (or jeep) is a wonderful idea. The drive to Rum Point is so pretty and it's pretty tough to get lost on the island...there aren't that many roads. While we were there for a week this past January, we drove on every road on the island!

If you drive to Rum Point, it's about a 45 minute drive each way (if you don't stop). But there are lots of things to do over on that part of the island-which was my favorite part. The blowholes are over that direction. We loved Savannah and Bodden Town and the entire East End of the island. There's a great restaurant called The Lighthouse over that way, as are the botanical gardens. The botanical gardens are on Frank Sound Road, which is the cut-through road you would take to get to Rum Point.

Rum Point also has a nice little restaurant. We enjoyed sitting on the picnic tables and eating our lunch.

If you are looking for souviners, there's a place called Pure Art, which is located about a mile out of George Town. It's located in an old house (I think it's white), and they have so many really neat items from local artists. This is a place that few cruise ship passengers will visit because of its location, but it was my favorite shop.

We used a coupon from the Cayman Activity Guide (you can go online and register, and then print one off) for our rental from Andy's.

7MB area is beautiful, but it's so congested. If you really want to experience what the island has to offer, rent a vehicle and get far, far away from the port area. It's so pretty. We were constantly pulling off the road and walking around on the pretty beaches. :)

Oh, and the problem with ending at Rum Point is that it may be packed. The day we went there, we got there around 1:00 and there wasn't a lounger to be had. If you rent a vehicle on your own, make a beeline there, and then do the other things after you spent all the time you want to spend there. That's what I do... :)

Great information Twinkletoes! Thanks!!!

Have a great time! Rum Point is really pretty. Once you are done seeing Rum Point, contiune on the road that you came in on, and follow it until it ends. There are a bunch of huge homes down that direction. It's really a neat drive (it only takes about 5 minutes to drive there and back).

Archived