L.A. Docks to LAX

LaPaloma

We are booked on the Mexican Riviera cruise next January--we arrive in L.A. at 7am--not sure where where we will dock in L.A.--how much time should we allow to make LAX from the ship? I hope to make a noon flight to Tucson--am I allowing enough time? Don

Don, I am going to be very brave and disagree with the advice of Miss Martita. :eek: I do not believe cruise ships bound for Los Angeles dock in the Long Beach Harbor (right next door to the LA Harbor) but in the Port of Los Angeles (LA Harbor) cruise terminal in San Pedro. If this is the case, you will be docked at either Berths 90 or 91. Check your final documents to be sure. You will be right next to the Princess Cruises Terminal made famous by "The Love Boat" TV series. You will have NO trouble making a noon flight out of LAX. Transfer times would range from about 30 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic. I have done several Mexican Riviera cruises on other lines but I think it will be much better on the Legend! :) You will have a grand time indeed!

Many thanks--good news, we will be able to make a 11:55am flight--that gets us home in time to get our babies out of the Spa(kennel). Our babies are two large, wild Weimaraners, who will have lots of spitty kisses for us when we pick them up!! We have done the Mexican Riviera 3 times on other lines, but when Capt G.A. Nilsen told us the Legend would do this trip, we promised to be on board, but I doubt if he will be--on our last trip he said he maybe on vacation--can't win them all!! Don

Don, I am going to be very brave and disagree with the advice of Miss Martita. :eek: I do not believe cruise ships bound for Los Angeles dock in the Long Beach Harbor (right next door to the LA Harbor) but in the Port of Los Angeles (LA Harbor) cruise terminal in San Pedro.

I think it might be undecided. Carnival ships now use Long Beach instead of San Pedro, so who can say where Seabourn will berth. I couldn't find it on either port's calendar.

We have done the Mexican Riviera 3 times on other lines, but when Capt G.A. Nilsen told us the Legend would do this trip, we promised to be on board, but I doubt if he will be--on our last trip he said he maybe on vacation--can't win them all!! Don
I received an Email from Capt. G-A about two weeks ago and he told me that he will definitely be going on vacation on Nov. 21 in FLL immediately after the Legend crossing. He also did not know his future sailing schedules. Capt. Buer may be in command of the Legend when you embark.

>"Capt. Buer may be in command of the Legend when you embark."

Captain Buer told me that he would be in command when I embark in LA January 28th. He's quite a star in my book.

Jane

You might want to double check with Seabourn on where it will dock. The only reason I say this is that I know that Carnival has two ships that dock in Long Beach which I observed when I was staying in Long Beach in late Marcha and I had read on Cruise Critic that Holland docked in Long Beach on a recent cruise so it might be worth checking with Seabourn. Again, almost all other ships do cruise from San Pedro but since Carnival owns Seabourn I am only mentioning this.

Just a few related comments. If your ship gets into San Pedro on a weekend you will be able to get over to LAX in about 45 minutes but if per chance it's on a weekday the drive can be considerably longer.

In addition, give yourself 2 hours at LAX airport and that is what the airlines advise that use this terminal. Not sure which airline that you are flying but LAX can be a real zoo both in terms of the ticket counters and then getting through security. On my last two trips flying out of LAX I just couldn't believe the lines. So, I would just play it safe in terms of getting there about two hours before your flight.

Keith

Sorry for getting of the thread here but I have a couple of comments.

Martita

(I would someday enjoy staying on the

old Queen Mary in Long Beach)

I had Sunday brunch last sunday at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. It used to be good, now it is okay, and still very expensive. We stayed there a few years ago and it was disappointing. The cabin was very, very small and smelled and looked old. We had a deluxe cabin, maybe a suite would be better.

Last Sunday I got a chance to walk on some of the public hallways and they still smelled and looked old. Some people may find the "old" look charming, but the smell is not pleasant. However, I have reservations for the 4th of July celebrations. I guess I like it after all!

Blackbird,

I notice on you signature that you have a X cruise to Australia on December 07, We will be embarking after your cruise. The two guys from CA here.

Jorge

Interestingly enough we had a weekday lunch on the Queen Mary in March whlle staying in Long Beach and enjoyed the lunch, especially the nice service. And, we had a wonderful time taking our self guided tour around the ship.

I stayed on the ship about 14 years ago for two evenings as part of a business meeting that I attended. The ship has quite a special history and as they say they don't make ships quite like that anymore.

Keith

Well...too bad you are coming in instead of going out; I'd drive up there and wave you off while tossing those little paper streamers! Orange County isn't too far away.

Jane :)

Jane, Now that is dedication!:cool: :) :D

>"

Captain Buer told me that he would be in command when I embark in LA January 28th. He's quite a star in my book.

Jane

Hi Jane,

I hope it is you that has it wrong and not me as we are planning on leaving LA on the Legend on the 26th!!!!

Kathryn

Hi Jane,

I hope it is you that has it wrong and not me as we are planning on leaving LA on the Legend on the 26th!!!!

Kathryn

Kathryn, you are not wrong. We start in Caldera on the 16th..and arrive in L.A. the 26th. We promise to leave plenty of Champers and Caviar for you. Lola

>"I hope it is you that has it wrong and not me as we are planning on leaving LA on the Legend on the 26th!!!!"

TYPO, TYPO!! As a note of explanation, I have become more dyslexic in my aging and then, to boot, my pc screen is well lit with sun reflection. I know there is a spell check on the reply, but I can only use the 'quick reply' because on the other I cannot format. Sacre Bleu!

I shall be looking for you two on the 26th! Thanks!

Jane (way too much info, I know)

Lola,

Please leave lots of Champagne, but you are welcome to the caviar, neither of us eats it, I suppose Jane might though so you had better leave a little! Hope you have fun on your cruise but please leave the crew with some energy to pamper us!

Jane,

Excuses, excuses, excuses! You just have too many cruises booked to be able to keep a track on the dates!!! Looking forward to meeting up with you again though it does seem like a long time until January 28th oops the sun is on my screen:D January 26th!!!

By the way I have asked the question of Seabourn as to where the Legend will be docked but am still waiting for the answer, I will let you know if I hear anything back from them.

Kathryn

I have received an answer from Seabourn and the answer is that they don't know yet, they will know approx 3 months before we sail. Just thought I would let you know.

Kathryn

Thanks--It seems both potential docking spots are no more than about 1 hour from LAX--thats what I needed to know--I'm booking a noon flight, and we dock at 7am--should be ok, even tho LAX is a zoo!! Don

Archived