Carnival Liberty - let's talk

Hello all,

I see the Carnival Liberty is generating lots of excitement, I have to admit I love the itinerary, I'm just disappointed with the sailing dates. I hope anyone who is thinking of booking in August realizes that most of Europe tends to shut down for vacation in August. A lot things that you might like to see will be closed. Just thought I'd mention that to help prevent disappointment. If you don't believe me, I suggest doing some investigating...you'll see I'm right about August being vacation month...

A good point, unless you want less crowded conditions.

We've still got July, Sept, and Oct. to choose from. I don't see any way it would make sense for them to skip August.

I would prefer to do this cruise in October because the weather is a little more mild, everything will be less crowded, airfare is cheaper, and Less Kids!

I lived in Spain as an exchange student when I was in college, and I rememeber there were some stores closed in August, but for the most part the museums were all still open. Since people are out and about traveling, I don't think the major tourist attractions would be closed. I don't recall going anywhere I wanted to see, and it being closed.

I lived in Spain as well (for three years), and I don't recall any major attractions being closed in August. I don't know if that's the case throughout the rest of Europe; the only thing that might keep me from visiting Spain in August is the heat!

I also booked for October... we'll have much milder weather (guess I'll be layering) and the kids should be back in school.:)

I've never cruised the Mediterranean before and would love to hear from someone who has... what are the seas/weather like that time of year?

Cathy AKA OhJinkies

I also booked for October... we'll have much milder weather (guess I'll be layering) and the kids should be back in school.:)

I've never cruised the Mediterranean before and would love to hear from someone who has... what are the seas/weather like that time of year?

Cathy AKA OhJinkies

in a word, HOT

As far as I can tell from my initial research, it looks like all the major museums/ruins are open all through the summer. Do you have specific examples of what's closed in August?

I got this answer on the same question on the Europe board - I don't think attractions being closed is a valid concern

"I have travelled extensively in Europe over many years in June, July, August and December...

We did a Mediterranean cruise on the Millie this past August...

While it is true that many Europeans vacation in August (others vacation in July), we have actually noticed very little impact...

The types of businesses that thrive on tourism would be foolish to close during vacation season...Whereas some totally unrelated businesses may close for vacation, they are nothing you will notice...what you need and want will be open...

As to crowds, it's all relative...Some places are a little more crowded, some less...After all, the weather is nice, kids are out of school, what do you expect? When I've bben through Europe in December, I encountered very few lines...but the weather was lousy...there are trade-offs...

But, hey, I live in SoCal...have you seen the lines at Disneyland? Or the crowds at Venice Beach in July and August? Believe me, nothing in Europe compares...

The only other issue is the heat...it is hot...but, you are on vacation, you can wear T-Shirts and shorts everywhere...and bring bottled water along...(I bought one of those insulated water bottles with a shoulder strap and filled it with ice in the buffet each morning before venturing out).

To be honest, if you can go in May or June, it's a tad better...but July and August are still a great time to do this route...We had the best cruise of our lives in August...I would not let any of this talk scare you away...Go for it."

I have been in Rome in Late July and August. It was very difficult to find a business NOT open. The vacation worries you are all having are not valid.

The only thing we found was LESS TRAFFIC. You could actually cross the street without being run over.

ALL tourist attractions were open but were less crowded.

We wouldn't hesitate going back to Rome in the summer...BUT IT WAS HOT!

SUGGESTION: Go to the first McDonalds you see and get a tourist map of Rome. It was the best map we had. It also shows the location of ALL the McDonalds in the city. When you are walking and it's 90 degrees plus, you might want to walk on the street where the next McDonalds is so you can get a cold drink. McDonalds are ALL air conditioned and beer costs the same as sodas (cheap). It comes out of the tap next to the soda fountain.

Enjoy!!

I don't want to start a flaming war but, why in the world would anyone travel all the way to Italy or any other world-wide destination and go to McDonalds?????? Isn't the point of traveling to experience different cultures?? Next thing you'll tell post is that you're disappointed you couldn't find a Walmart in Rome!! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived