Carnival in Europe Crowd?

thomasale

Last month it was mostly people in their 30s or older, not a lot of kids or young adults. The majority of the people on board were Americans, but we met quite a few Canadians as well as some Europeans. Other than the cranky senior citizens who were complaining about "those foreigners who need to learn to speak English" (mind you they were talking about Italians living in Rome) everyone we met was very pleasant.

Thanks for that outline and exactly what I am looking for. It appears to be a great value. I priced for balcony/veranda and per day cost of cruise for 2, Celeb $558/day, Oceania $588/day, HAL $554/day and Carnival an amazing $408/day.

This will be an expensive trip and for the value Carnival represents I don't see how I can go wrong...I'll talk to my TA today.

Is Freedom a new ship?

My parents just got back from this cruise a week ago. They said that the ship was filled with old people. They booked shore excursions through the ship and they said that my sister (age 21) was the youngest, and they (55) were the second youngest on the one excursion!

One thing that bothered them was that the shore excursions had three people (which meant that it was an active tour) and people with canes and wheelchairs were on them. This held up the whole group.

They also said that there were very few children and the crowd was mostly Americans.

Tom: Yes, the Freedom will be a new ship, sailing her maiden voyage 3/14/07! The itinerary for the first several cruises is a new one for Carnival - the eastern Med. round trip from Civitavecchia (Rome). Greece ports are Rhodes, Athens and Katakalon (Olympia), Turkey ports are Izmir (Ephesus) and Istanbul and the Italian ports are Naples and Livorno (Florence), with an overnight at the end of the cruise at Civitavecchia. Three sea days interspersed throughout.

Then, in May, the Freedom will sail the western Med. itinerary the Liberty did last year and is doing again this year. For the remainder of the summer, it will do a combination of the eastern and western itineraries.

There are currently two cruise critic group cruises, both for the eastern itinerary: 4/19/07 and 9/22/07. Information for both can be found on the

CC Group Cruise page, or here on the boards in the Group Cruise forums.

Check out http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles?freedom_design.aspx for info on the design of the Freedom!

My parents just got back from this cruise a week ago. They said that the ship was filled with old people. They booked shore excursions through the ship and they said that my sister (age 21) was the youngest, and they (55) were the second youngest on the one excursion!

One thing that bothered them was that the shore excursions had three people (which meant that it was an active tour) and people with canes and wheelchairs were on them. This held up the whole group.

That is exactly why I don't book my shore excursions through the cruise line. We did private tours that we arranged ahead of time and shared with people we met on our roll call. Our experience with the cranky folks on our Carnival Rome at a Glance tour from the airport to the ship convinced us we had made the right decision going with private tours.

On our sailing there were a lot of people in the 40-50 age bracket. Maybe now that school is out there will be more young people and kids.

Last year the age was 40 and up, not a lot of kids. 88% Americans. We had a large group from Japan. Not a hard core party crowd, since most of teh days were very long and started very early. We had late supper, which on some port days made it 8:45 pm.

DH and I are 44 so the age was perfect for us.

Tom: Yes, the Freedom will be a new ship, sailing her maiden voyage 3/14/07! The itinerary for the first several cruises is a new one for Carnival - the eastern Med. round trip from Civitavecchia (Rome). Greece ports are Rhodes, Athens and Katakalon (Olympia), Turkey ports are Izmir (Ephesus) and Istanbul and the Italian ports are Naples and Livorno (Florence), with an overnight at the end of the cruise at Civitavecchia. Three sea days interspersed throughout.

Then, in May, the Freedom will sail the western Med. itinerary the Liberty did last year and is doing again this year. For the remainder of the summer, it will do a combination of the eastern and western itineraries.

There are currently two cruise critic group cruises, both for the eastern itinerary: 4/19/07 and 9/22/07. Information for both can be found on the

CC Group Cruise page, or here on the boards in the Group Cruise forums.

Check out http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles?freedom_design.aspx for info on the design of the Freedom!

What fabulous info...I thank you. We are leaving today on a 2 week Motorcycle trip and when I return I will be booking for a July Western Mediterranean. I feel right now that I have to go Carnival due to the Value.

I will keep posting. I will check out the references you gave when we're back

Thanks again!

Archived