Deck & aft-js cabin-advice

Still a bit confused about these aft JS cabins, I have been reading a lot of how horrible they are, especially if you are not on deck 10. I hear the lower decks are awful, obstructed views, a lot of noise, vibrations. Has anyone stayed in Deck 7 aft JR suite???????

I have been asking those questions too. We are on LOS with aft JS on deck 8 booked for a Med cruise in 2007. I hope these are desirable cabins. We (think) we lucked into them, as there have not been any more of them since. If anyone has any pictures, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nancy

Depends on what class ship you are talking about. On Voyager class ships the higher the deck the better because of all the super-structure at the back of the ship interferring with the view. In addition there is an area that juts out on deck 6 that is a crew recreation area and this also interferes somewhat with the view from the lower-level aft balconies. Look at the deck plans.

Deck level doesn't matter as much on Radiance and Vision class ships.

I have been asking those questions too. We are on LOS with aft JS on deck 8 booked for a Med cruise in 2007. I hope these are desirable cabins. We (think) we lucked into them, as there have not been any more of them since.

I think you got one of the best cabins on the ships! We were on Splendour in 2002 (pre-digital camera days, so I don't have any pictures to post) in 8088 and it was wonderful. Yes, there was a crew deck between us & the wake, but the wake was still very much in evidence, and it was a wonder to behold. We didn't experience any soot from the smokestack or stuff dropped on to our balcony (I'm recalling that the spa was above us with windows, not a deck, but I could be recalling the wrong ship:rolleyes: ). The walk to the stern isn't bad at all on a Vision class ship, either. Go and have a wonderful time!

I think we fret too much about our cabin selections, perhaps because CC gives us WTMI. We have booked a midships cabin for the first time on Jewel (we always try for the stern cabins), and I'm worrying that it will be too dark. I think the worst that it will be is very, very nice.

Thanks for your reply. When you are talking about a crew deck, is it like a cat walk that is only a few feet wide, or is it a larger area? We will be able to view the sunsets and the the water? I guess this is all I want along with a slightly larger balcony. Will it hold 2 loungers? And finally is some of it not under cover?

Thanks,

Nancy

Has anyone been on the voyager class ships on the 7th aft jr suite balcony (or do they all have balconies)? I am really concerned about the noise and vibration that someone has posted. Is your view also blocked that much? This is not what I was informed as. Why are these so expensive if alls I am hearing is so much negativity? Obstructed views, soot from smoke-stack, crew is right below on a cat walk thing, vibrations so bad that they had to remove the empty hangers from the closet to stop the noise, and the motion sickness is unbelievable and so is the noise

Thanks for your reply. When you are talking about a crew deck, is it like a cat walk that is only a few feet wide, or is it a larger area? We will be able to view the sunsets and the the water? I guess this is all I want along with a slightly larger balcony. Will it hold 2 loungers? And finally is some of it not under cover?

Thanks,

Nancy

The crew area is a fairly large one - I recall that they like to hang out and have a beer/smoke in the evening - I liked the idea that the people who work so hard for us can relax & have a good time. They weren't up too late, and only occasionally did the smoke waft up to us - I think they were on Deck 5.

It doesn't block your view at all except that to the extent you look down you won't be able to see directly to the water. - The deck extends out from the rear of the ship by maybe 20 feet (total guess, I'm not entirely sure I'm even talking about the correct ship, LOL). It's on Deck 5, I think, so there's nothing right in front of your eyes. You WILL see the wake of the ship right past that, plus the sunsets and all the other wonderful scenery, and it's a fabulous, open feeling. We had a day at sea in the Med, and I spent a large part of the day watching a small bird (not a gull) following us with most determined look on his face (I think I can, I think I can). Totally irrelevant, but it's funny what sticks with you! If you're backed up to another ship in port, you can wave to them. Wow.:rolleyes:

It's a MUCH larger balcony that the standard ones, with plenty of room for 2 loungers, plus a chair & table.

I think it was under cover about 3-4 feet as you walk out of the cabin, but I don't remember....

Now remember, this is all on Splendour, which is the Vision class and I think the same layout as Legend, but I can't be sure. guess I'll have to book a cruise on her!:D

We were on 7th deck after cabin on mariner last summer and will be on 7th deck aft on mariner two weeks from now. we loved it! no noise, no soot, no vibration, just beautiful, large deck. Down below us was a deck where crew members could relax, but out beyond in three directions was the sea--- beautiful. There were thunderstorms last summer and we slept like babies in this aft cabin--- no rocking, etc. Any time we book a balcony room, this is where I want, otherwise, I don't want a balcony. We had 3 chairs, two lounges, and a table out there; very spacious.

We were on 7th deck after cabin on mariner last summer and will be on 7th deck aft on mariner two weeks from now. we loved it! no noise, no soot, no vibration, just beautiful, large deck. Down below us was a deck where crew members could relax, but out beyond in three directions was the sea--- beautiful. There were thunderstorms last summer and we slept like babies in this aft cabin--- no rocking, etc. Any time we book a balcony room, this is where I want, otherwise, I don't want a balcony. We had 3 chairs, two lounges, and a table out there; very spacious.

Thanks so much for your post. :) We booked an AFT JS on Deck 7 on Explorer. I was really starting to 2nd guess that decision. We're not worried about noise, soot, vibration, motion sickness, etc. We usually book the extreme AFT on Celebrity ships & love the location. IMHO, it's the only place to be. :D The only concern we had was the obstructions. The pics I've seen make it look like the view isn't very good. Plus, I wasn't sure we'd get much some. Everyone on here says book AFT, but recommend Deck 10 on Voyager Class ships. Unfortunately, Deck 7 was the only one available. I'm glad you like the location as much as we do on X ships. :)

Hi Tammy...long time no see. I don't know if you remember, but we are just south of you in Sarasota. We have chatted many times on the Celebrity board.

So you also decided to take the plunge and try RCI. We had a booking with Celebrity, but like the ports better on Royal Caribbean. So even though I have driven my TA nuts...we switched. Took our onboard booking credit too. Did you get the discount cabin for C&A? We were only able to get one cabin credit for that one because we are putting the boys across the hall in an inside,

Hope you enjoy the cruise!

Nancy

Hi Tammy...long time no see. I don't know if you remember, but we are just south of you in Sarasota. We have chatted many times on the Celebrity board.

So you also decided to take the plunge and try RCI. We had a booking with Celebrity, but like the ports better on Royal Caribbean. So even though I have driven my TA nuts...we switched. Took our onboard booking credit too. Did you get the discount cabin for C&A? We were only able to get one cabin credit for that one because we are putting the boys across the hall in an inside,

Hope you enjoy the cruise!

Nancy

Of course, I remember. I couldn't help but smile, when I saw you had made your way onto this board also. :D We're trying RCCL hoping our DS(14) will like it better. My big boy (DH ;) ) isn't thrilled with the idea, & is still pushing for X's Constellation during the same time. Guess which boy's winning. :p We were able to get the cabin discount, but weren't able to transfer our onboard booking credit we booked while on Mercury in Apr. We applied it to our PC cruise on Summit instead. Our TA's assistant told us RCCL wouldn't apply a booking number from a cruise that was booked on an X ship. :confused: Our TA was out of the office at the time, & I didn't push it. As long as we don't lose the OBC, it doesn't really matter which cruise it's applied to. It would be great, if we could be on the same sailing in the near future. :)

That would be nice! I would like that. Our sons would probably have a lot of fun. :)

When I called Royal Caribbean to book, they told me that we wouldn't be able to move it over. I posted that over on the Celebrity board, and many people said that you could. I told my TA that we did not want to switch if it wasn't possible, but he said not a problem I have since checked, and everything came over. I like the Plat status better than the elite on Celebrity. Will be interesting to see if we like the ship as much.:)

Did you have any problems with the storm last week? Lots of wind and rain for us, but we really needed the rain, so it was a blessing!

Take care,

Nancy

Archived