Carribean or Canada New england

irishguy

I'm not a particular fan of the Caribbean, but in my opinion the Canada/New England cruise is a winner.

We've done Canada/New England twice, and for us, a cruise in October '92 was certainly great, as the colors had turned, and were spectacular.

Our other time up there, in September 97, colors had not yet turned, and while very pretty, it did not have the same impact.

I'll try and help - I haven't gone on my first cruise yet, and I've never been to the Carribean - BUT keep reading - I am originally from East Coast Canada - Nova Scotia, and currently reside in Ontario and have travelled to most of the areas on the Canada/US cruise.

Are you going for weather ? or ports ? I expect the Carribean would be a lot warmer - so if it's weather - go South ! (but check for hurricane season and how it might affect your cruise)

But, if it's location - East Coast Canada is beautiful - I've travelled to east coast US, too, and I've been to Quebec City which is also one of the ports. Lots of history in all of these cities. All are beautiful places to visit. However, there's a catch - the weather can be iffy at best. If you can go early October - it should be stunning with the leaves changing - "fall colours" is a big tourist time in all these areas. It will be sweater/light jacket weather. But late Oct or into Nov. will be colder, leaves will all have fallen - and it can be a bit on the dreary side, but the cities you will visit are lovely. And you should know the east coast is known for it's fog too ! (I miss it !!! )

Hope this helps your decision making ! good luck

I live in New England. We are going to Ireland Oct 4th!!

My first cruise was the Western Caribbean the first week in November. The weather was perfect (too hot one day, but we stayed in the water). We took snorkel excursions every day (no land tours - too humid). That was a year when there were very few storms.

One poster was absolutely correct about the FOG on the East Coast. If you pick the wrong week the rain and fog in late Oct, early November can be awful. However, you take your chances wherever you go.

Soooo IMHO the best solution is: Do New England in early October and do the Caribbean or Bermuda in May :D

I cruised from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago. We left Montreal on October 14 and the temperature was just below freezing, snow beginning to fall, Halifax was cool and rainy, Bar Harbor was clouded in mist and rain, Boston was in the 60's, New York 70.

The colours are best experienced much earlier.

October gives too many risks of altered ports because of hurricanes but you must decide whether you want sun or scenery. November is the month I pick to leave Canada...

You could fly to Barcelona and do a transatlantic on Century Oct 27 ($799 inside), or the Mediterranean Oct. 16. ($999 inside).. or both (as I decided). The cruiselines don't like the Caribbean in October and are being sued for going to Canada when a hurricane threatened Bermuda. It seems pax did not like scenery as much as the temperatures.:cool:

We did a Canada / New England out of New York, the end of September through the beginning of October 2004 And it was beautiful. The trees were changing colors and the temps were cool but not cold. However, it was definately NOT shorts weather. We dressed in layers, lots of sweat shirts and jackets, long pants were the order of the day, you always needed a hat. That was onshore. At sea it was much colder No one was sitting poolside at all once we left NYC. On the 3 sea days we had we never ventured outside. Also, the Atlantic is quite a bit rougher than the Caribbean, so this is also something to consider.

I'd say that the risks of hurricanes in the Caribbean, while still present, are lessened in late October / November. So you have to decide do you prefer warm or cool weather for your vacation? If you want it warm this is not the time of year for Canada/New England. However, aside from the risk of hurricanes, this is a beautiful time of year in the Caribbean.

we are all offering an opinion in the dark. What are your likes, dislikes?

Are you interesting in view foliage or sun, sand and blue waters?

Are you shoppers or interested in tours?

More info! Everyone here is ready, willing and able to offer ideas!

Hello all

Thanks ever so much for all your helpful information. After all that we've booked a 11 nite Tyrrhenian Sea cruise aboard the Century sailing from Barcelona on 16th Oct. As its only 2 hour filght from us and we get to see the "revitalised" Century at a bargain price!! Thanks again for all the help!!

Dave

Archived