Ports?

jerseygirl45

Jerseygirl, Grand Cayman is one of our favorite ports. One of the top things I have done in my whole life is snorkeling with the Stingrays at Stingray City. We used Captain Bryan's Buccaneer because we like a catamaran and the times of their excursion worked out perfectly for us.

I suggest that you check out the Ports of Call forums for your ports in the dropdown box at the bottom of this page; you will get lots of ideas there.

Have fun planning for your cruise!

You will get differing opinions on which way to book. We booked all of our excursions through the cruise lines for our first 3 cruises. Since I have found this board, we have only booked one excursion through the cruise line. I check out recommendations from fellow cruisers, then I use my own common sense about booking independent excursions. I make sure they are well recommended here on CC, and that the times of the excursions give me ample time to get back to the ship. I know that the independent operators livelihoods depend on good word of mouth, and they really do NOT want us to get back to the ships late. It would RUIN their business! (They know we talk a lot!) (I have never heard of an independent operator getting passengers back to the ship late.)

The distance that the tour goes from the port also makes a difference. If I were to go up the river to the ruins in Belize, I would take the ship's excursion - it is far away, AND there are not a lot of other boats that go there that could take me back if there were to be a mechanical problem.

Grand Cayman is an easy island to get an independent excursion to Stingray City. The island is small, and everyone goes out to the sandbar. The independent operators take a lot fewer people on their boats than the operators that deal with the cruise lines. I know that the Buccaneer also went to 3 stops, while the excursion we took on our first cruise only went to the sandbar.

Bottom line is that you need to do what you are comfortable with.

cheaper to book direct and the groups are generally smaller--just make sure you allow enough time for the unexpected when returning to the ship--they will not wait for you

thats why some pax book thru the cruiseline --more expensive but hassle free

We loved Stingray City in Grand Cayman, and we had a great time climbing Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. It is a bit on the strenuous side, but if a couple of 60+ ladies could do it (we made it all the way to the top!), younger folks should not have a problem. If you do decide to do this, be sure to have either water shoes or an old pair of sneakers to wear. It is not a barefoot activity, and I believe shoes were required.

My husband and I are planning on doing the stingrays in Grand Caymen and in Ohcos Rios we are going to go to swim with the dolphins. I tried to book the dolphin swim directly but was told it could only be done with the cruise line. I think it is pretty much the same price

Yvonne

We booked a tour in Grand Cayman through NCL. It took us to the turtle farm then we went to hell. I guess it's an experience to go to hell but I will pass next time. We were then taken to a little boat that was going to take us to see the stingrays. They wanted to put more and more people on board. :eek: I had enough when after all seats were taken and people were standing they still wanted to wait for another van to arrive. My husband and I got up and asked to be taken back to the ship. It turned out great because we got to shop for a few hours. The people that had gone on that boat ride got back when it was almost time to board the ship. I was not impressed with GC and dont care to go again.:cool:

We booked a tour in Grand Cayman through NCL. It took us to the turtle farm then we went to hell. I guess it's an experience to go to hell but I will pass next time. We were then taken to a little boat that was going to take us to see the stingrays. They wanted to put more and more people on board. :eek: I had enough when after all seats were taken and people were standing they still wanted to wait for another van to arrive. My husband and I got up and asked to be taken back to the ship. It turned out great because we got to shop for a few hours. The people that had gone on that boat ride got back when it was almost time to board the ship. I was not impressed with GC and dont care to go again.:cool:

This is one of the reasons that independent excursions in Grand Cayman are wonderful! Please reconsider going to GC; if you go, take an independent tour to Stingray City. Swimming with the rays is an unbelievable experience.

Here's hoping your next time is a good one!

Archived