new diver at Grand Turk

bike1964

We are going on the Elation in Sept. I am a newly ceritified diver and want to sign up for the Carnival 2 tank dive in Grand Turk. Do the ship excursions cater to new divers or is the first dive alway deep (over 60 feet)? Has anyone been on this dive? Thanks

We are going on the Elation in Sept. I am a newly ceritified diver and want to sign up for the Carnival 2 tank dive in Grand Turk. Do the ship excursions cater to new divers or is the first dive alway deep (over 60 feet)? Has anyone been on this dive? Thanks

Yes, ship's dives do cater to the newer, less experienced divers. The dive operator on Grand Turk that does the dive trips for the ships that call there is Oasis divers and usually gets good marks. They keep the cruise divers separated from divers staying on the island by using different boats.

I've done quite of bit of diving around Gran Turk. It's one of the best dive spots in the Caribbean.

I don't know who Carnival uses. However, it is common practice for all diver operators to make the first dive deeper than the second. Fortunately, in Gran Turk you're diving a wonderful wall. You can hang along the top edge of the wall and probably be around 50-60 feet as I recall.

Of course, the cruise ships might make things even shallower.

Personally, I would look into the independent operators on the island. The only reason anyone vacations here is for the diving (there's nothing else to do). Email them in advance to see if they will give you the experience you want and can work within your shore time.

It's almost too bad you're starting out here. You'll be spoiled!

Thanks for the replies. I have looked into diving independantly in Grand Turk. Unfortunatley the Dive Shops I found want at least 4 people to book and I am the only diver in our group. Our time in port is kind of late too. We do not arrive until 12:00. I will be diving independantly in St. Thomas with the Coki dive shop. I was able to dive in Cozumel right after my certification, I did not book this through the ship either and it worked out great. However, I have never been deeper than 60 feet and was wondering if this would be a problem on the ships excursion, I should probably log a few more dives before I do or get my advance certification.

I have never been deeper than 60 feet and was wondering if this would be a problem on the ships excursion, I should probably log a few more dives before I do or get my advance certification.
I don't think you will have a problem going with the ship's excursion on Grand Turk. The dives they conduct are geared for newbies, so I don't think you'll have a depth issue. Even if the dive does go to 80, which it probably won't, it will be on a wall, so you can stay shallower and still see the group. Personally, I don't think there is that much difference between 60 and 80 in warm, clear water like you find in the Caribbean. There is little chance of getting narc'd until you get deeper than 100.

Who are your diving with in Cozumel?

I dove at Uvas beach in cozumel. I believe it was Scuba Caribe. It worked out well because my family was able to enjoy the beach while I dove. We went to Chankanaab Bolones. My guide was Edgar and he was very helpful knowing that it was my first ocean dive.

Archived