Our 1st Cruise. Tips for a newbie?

CarrieAndBrian

Here is one recent thread that you may find helpful -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=37421&highlight=tips

There was another called Secrets of Princess that was even better, but I can't seem to find it using the search feature.

Just found the "secrets" thread on the old boards - here is the link -

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=93410142

I think the number one thing is for you not to expect perfection. Nothing in life is ever perfect, including cruises. Too many people dream that their cruise will be perfect in every aspect, so when some little thing goes wrong, they say they'll never cruise again or never cruise with that cruiseline again.

I saw one post once where someone wanted to quit cruising a particular line because the room steward didn't make funny animal shapes with towels. Another complained of a hurricane, after booking a cruise in hurricane season.

Remember, don't sweat the small stuff, and everything is small stuff. Just relax and have fun.

BTW, take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you'll need.

DoniaG.............woo hoo, you are becoming the "link master"!!

Just felt like writting something, probablyon those threads. Take some small bills with you. ones and fives, they will come on handy for tips throughout the trip. II always tell folks this, don't feel like you have to rush off the ship at every port, just because you are there. The ship itself can be a great place to be when half the passengers are on land. Don't try to do "everything" take things slow. When/if you order room service write down/tell them everything you would like cream/sugar for coffee butter for toast etc. also you can order off the menu at anytime the dining room is open and tip the person who brings you the room service! 11_3_1.gif..................Happy Wedding!

Congratulations, Carrie, and Brian!! And welcome to Princess. What a great way to start your marriage. I can't think of a more romantic place. Just relax and enjoy your cruise and each other!! I am sure you will come home addicted, as we all are, and will have plenty of time to do all the other stuff. Read the patters each day that are left in your cabin, and you can choose anything that interests you, or not!! The choice is all yours. If you should find that you HAVE to do it again, you can book an open booking on board for $100pp. You don't have to pick a ship, a date, nothing. You will get a booking #, and have 4 years to pick a cruise. The booking # can transfer to a TA. A true win-win situation. Have a wonderful cruise!! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the tips (here and on other threads). I just have one question.....I can't seem to get the link

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/...7554&m=93410142 to work. Any suggestions on how I can see this thread in particular? I have seen it mentioned on a few threads now and as I am also going on my honeymoon (first time on Princess) I am trying to get all the information that I can as my fiancée has never cruised before and I would like to make it as pleasant as I possibly can for him by being prepared. :) Thanks for all your help guys!

You've made a great choice for your honeymoon, congratulations! Cruising is such a nice break from the hectic pace of any other vacation. Make sure you make a notation on the Cruise Personalizer that you are on your honeymoon. There is a space to fill in the information. Take a look at the special occasion packages that are available. Some of them include some real treats - my favorite was breakfast in bed with a made-to-order breakfast and half a bottle of champagne. What a great way to start the day!

You are going to have a great time. Sometimes we make mountains out of molehills here, but overall you'll find the on-board experience very relaxed and congenial.

Make sure you visit the Future Cruises office and get an open booking for your next cruise. Your first cruise will only whet your appetite for more.

This is our first cruise; its our honeymoon.

Any tips from some of the seasoned Princess cruisers?

Thanks

Carrie

10/13/04: Sun Princess

Tips about WHAT?

Oh...cruising...I get it.

The above suggestions are right on target, especially SpongeRobs about the special occasion stuff they do on board to make your honeymoon even more memorable.

In addition, as it is your first cruise, one of the best bits of advice I think you can get is to make your plans, be sure all your travel arrangements are in place before and after your cruise then, once on board, relax and have a fabulous honeymoon.

Cruising is like a dream but you're awake.

I know that may sound silly right now but wait till you're there. I think you're so lucky to be on a cruise AND having your honeymoon. both magical moments, at the same time. The difference between the two is that you (hopefully) will have just one honeymoon, but you can cruise again and again....and it just gets better every time.

Here's more information, generic to cruising in general, that will help you get on that ship, leave the lives you both led separately behind and take full advantage of the opportunity to begin your new life together. An opportunity that only a cruise can provide and that Princess does as well or better than any other:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/start_here

On our Caribbean Princess cruise last month we had the good fortune to meet a nice young couple celebrating their honeymoon. Or so we thought. It turns out that they were celebrating their year anniversary but you'd have thought they were just married yesterday.

They were a very happy couple and attributed much of the success they were experiencing in their marriage from honeymooning on a Princess cruise a year ago.

I think it's something about the bigger-than-life aspect of the ship, the vastness of the ocean and the carefully orchestrated week you'll spend on board. Those things serve as a catalyst for personal growth, expanded horizons and, surely in your case; time to take your two separate lives and become one new union, capable of weathering many a storm that you will encounter on your voyage through life together.

Thanks so much for honoring us with the opportunity to help that dream happen. Be sure to come back here often before your cruise for answers to any questions you may have and then after to tell us how it went!

Welcome to Princess where to say you can "Escape Completely" is much more than a slogan.

Follow those tips and the other part will come naturally

I second on what 10X says. Big Time. Don't sweat the small stuff; if you expect the perfect cruise ,it just is not there. Cruises are not perfect but if you go with a great attitude you will have a good cruise. Just relax and as they say "go with the flow" and by the way welcome to Princess.

Marilyn

Archived