Making a denim skirt dressier?

meshelles

Let me start by saying, this is not really cruise related. I won't be wearing denim in the dining room or anything like that.

But - I just bought a great denim skirt. It's long, A line. Very cute & very comfy. I want to wear it to work (a smallish office, not a really strict dress code, but we do like to look nice).

Any ideas of what to pair with a long denim skirt to make to a bit dressier, and aviod looking too comfy, casual?

Thanks!!

Michelle

Hi Meshelles!

I would go for some cute espadrilles or nice sandals with a heel or wedge to dress up the denim. Also, for the top you could wear a fitted button down blouse that you can tuck in with a smart belt (woven leather or something like that) or a fitted blouse that hits at the waist and you can leave it untucked, but it should be fitted to give it a clean look. Or, you can wear a knit tee with a cardigan so you don't get cold and to keep the outfit from looking too casual. I like different shades of green, black, and maybe even yellow to go with denim. And like awrightsd said, a structured non-denim jacket would look good, too. Mostly, I think the shoes and accessories are what will make the denim skirt look dressier.

Espadrilles will dress down a denim skirt.

Wear a fitted structured jacket, a blouse, a belt, and pumps.

The dressier your accessories, the dressier your skirt.

To give you an idea, here are some examples.

Jacket:

2BK061I5.jpg

With this blouse:

42902_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

This necklace

21544_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

These shoes:

42171_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Something along these lines would certainly dress up the denim skirt.

While I wouldn't say it was dressier, I wore my long dark denim skirt to work the other day with a structured blazer, a great scraf & closed toed mules. I don't think it's possible to dress-up distressed or faded denim in any way.

Espadrilles, though very cute, will definitely make the skirt less dressy and make it more "weekend" than "workplace".

I agree with all your points, but will add, it's still denim and you can't dress it up too much or you'll end up with an outfit where the pieces that don't work well together and stylistically "clash".

Espadrilles, though very cute, will definitely make the skirt less dressy and make it more "weekend" than "workplace".

I agree with all your points, but will add, it's still denim and you can't dress it up too much or you'll end up with an outfit where the pieces that don't work well together and stylistically "clash".

I totally agree and it does depend on the skirt itself. My examples would not work with ripped up, distressed, faded denim but dark blue denim.

Yeah, I was thinking of the distressed/faded denim b/c I own a skirt a lot like what Meshelles was describing and the only way I could sort of dress it up was to wear strappy sandals or these cute espadrilles that I own. Also, I feel that in trying to "dress up"' denim one still has to keep in mind that it is still denim, after all. So, if you try to dress it up too much it starts to look a little strange. Like trying to dress down a cocktail dress by wearing sneakers (okay, maybe not that bad but you get the idea.)

However, that being said, in Austin, TX (which is wear Meshelles and I both live) things are much more casual in the summer months, even for Texas, than most places. In fact, the city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird" (and "Hook 'Em Horns," of course!) For some, wearing jeans instead of shorts to a nice restaurant is dressing up :rolleyes:. (I am in not in that category of people). Heck, we even had our infamous "Leslie the cross dresser" run for mayor *shudder*. This year we have a man by the name of Kinky running for Governor (Governor Kinky! Eesh!). Pretty weird, right?

All kidding aside (though, i'm not joking about the cross dresser running for mayor or about Kinky), it starts to get so darn hot down here that no one wants to wear any more clothing than they have to. So, I suppose wearing anything in Austin, besides flip flops, and birkenstocks, IMO, is dressing up. *Sigh* that actually, makes me kind of sad. I need to move to New York City or something....

2019979509_goldespadrille.jpg.bd9754bdbbcc909d04b7a3c5881804f0.jpg

873932810_greenespadrilles.jpg.f66c89c1f9841133c0d4faa4099ff680.jpg

506289538_jcespadrille.jpg.155d259906ef8da231d0aa0493477ade.jpg

To give you an idea, here are some examples.

Jacket:

2BK061I5.jpg

With this blouse:

42902_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

This necklace

21544_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

These shoes:

42171_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Something along these lines would certainly dress up the denim skirt.

BlueHerons - You obviously know something about fashion so I wanted to ask about what you picked out (remember, I really am not up to date at all with fashion). I love all the pieces, but when I saw that shirt and the jacket, my first instinct was that they wouldn't work together, mainly because of the fit, not because of the look. The blouse has so many ruffles, and the jacket is pretty form fitting ( I assumed you would button it). Would that shirt really work under the jacket, I would have thought it would be too "bunchy" ( I know that isn't a word, but hopefully you understand what I mean). Especially around the wrists and stomach area. Now please don't think I am questioning your taste. It is just the opposite. You seem like the kind of lady I could learn something from, and that is really what I am trying to do here. My first instinct was that wouldn't work, but I am sure you know what you are talking about, so if you understand what I am saying, could you explain to me where I am going wrong. Anyway, thanks for the advice, beforehand!!

BlueHerons - You obviously know something about fashion so I wanted to ask about what you picked out (remember, I really am not up to date at all with fashion). I love all the pieces, but when I saw that shirt and the jacket, my first instinct was that they wouldn't work together, mainly because of the fit, not because of the look. The blouse has so many ruffles, and the jacket is pretty form fitting ( I assumed you would button it). Would that shirt really work under the jacket, I would have thought it would be too "bunchy" ( I know that isn't a word, but hopefully you understand what I mean). Especially around the wrists and stomach area. Now please don't think I am questioning your taste. It is just the opposite. You seem like the kind of lady I could learn something from, and that is really what I am trying to do here. My first instinct was that wouldn't work, but I am sure you know what you are talking about, so if you understand what I am saying, could you explain to me where I am going wrong. Anyway, thanks for the advice, beforehand!!

Thank you for the kind words.

The ruffles from the sleeves would hang out of the bottom of the jacket sleeves and you could wear the jacket buttoned or unbuttoned depending upon the 'stiffness' of the fabric. With this shirt, unbuttoned and the ruffles would fall outside of the jacket and on top of the lapels hiding the lapels.

Again, let me stress that this would not work with any jean skirt but a long, dark blue denim jean skirt.

The outfit would also work with jeans for a dressy jean night out.

You guys have some great suggestions!

I ended up wearing the skirt today (it is dark denim, not distressed / faded). A bright pink cami under a nice white dress shirt (Nliedel - I'm with you - I LOVE a great crisp, white shirt). Big leather belt (The kind made up of link of circles with a big medallion buckle to the side), it sits just on my hips, over the white shirt. Big beaded necklace, with a meddalion pendant alost on exact match to the belt. Tall, chunky heels in a light brown color (I'm always all about the shoes!)

Chopsticks! Those pink & green shoes from JCrew are fabulous! I think I might need them!

Archived