Help me choose...a cruise...

My Boyfriend is treating me to a cruise in September for sticking to my diet and dropping 50lbs :-) :o :o :o :o :o

Here are the 3 choices I can pick from that are all within driving distance from our home,

which would you choose and why ??

Zenith 7 nights Bermuda ( Hamilton, St George, 2 sea days )

Explorer of the Seas 9 nts ( St Thomas, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Labadi, 4 sea days )

Norwegian Spirit ( St Thomas, Tortola, Kings Wharf Bermuda, 4 sea days )

Jennifer

Jennifer - Congratulations on the weight loss! What a wonderful accomplishment!

I haven't been to all of the ports that you have to choose from, so I am not going to give my recommendation. I just wanted to give you a big pat on the back for your accomplishment!

Well.. do you want to go to the caribbean or to bermuda?

I suggest Explorer, being longer, and the most feature packed ship, with no consideration to the ports because I havn't been to bermuda (and me being Biased towards RCCL)..

but seriously, you'll have fun on any of them..

My Boyfriend is treating me to a cruise in September for sticking to my diet and dropping 50lbs :-) :o :o :o :o :o

Here are the 3 choices I can pick from that are all within driving distance from our home,

Explorer of the Seas 9 nts ( St Thomas, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Labadi, 4 sea days )

Jennifer

I would choose Explorer because I really like Royal Caribbean's private beach Labadee, we had a blast there. Pick out your beach, your lounge chair, take one of the exotic drinks, with the booze or without the booze, lay back and sip and listen to the island music, heaven. The water is gorgeous there as well. Also, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss, I need to follow in your foot steps, but it's so hard to get started. Keep up the great work Jennifer!!!!

I would choose Explorer...more ports...more days....more fun...and beside I too am bias to RCCL...and I leave July 14th on the Explorer for same ports and have been many times with RCCL...LOVE it!

The three options you have presented all offer somewhat different cruise experiences, each good in their own way, but still different enough that in order to give you a good answer we need to know more about you and your boyfriend - approximate ages, personal interests, prior travel and cruise experience (what places have you traveled to in the past and what you particularly liked about those places, what you are looking for out of the cruise- (type of cruise experience) more activities, different ports, more time to relax, etc., and what your travel budget looks like. At that point it might be easier to narrow down your choices and make a recommendation that will best meet your needs.:)

Zenith is a smaller, older ship that does not have all the faciltities you will find on Explorer. Celebrity also attracts a slightly older crowd and things are more formal on Celebrity ships such as dressing for dinner. If you have your heart set on going to Bremuda, then you have no choice other than to pick Zenith. If you have no preference where to go I would go with the 9 day Explorer cruise. Two extra days and all those great things to do on the ship, rock climbing, ice skating, etc.

Because----more days! The Explorer was our second cruise. The Voyager ships have tons of things to offer. We haven't been to Bermuda yet, but the caribbean is gorgeous! Also, another vote for Labadee, RC's private island. It is one of our favorite stops!

I would go on the longer cruise. Not sure you should pick a cruise based on the itinerary in September -- it's hurricane season and there could be changes. You'd still have a great cruise but don't have your heart set on one particular port. I usually cruise in the winter, but have read a lot on CC about changes in ports to avoid storms.

Congratulations on the weight loss. You will love the gym on the ships!

We've been to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico. We've also been on the Explorer. Having never been to the other ports you mentioned or on the other ships, I can't really give you any advice as to which you should choose. I CAN tell you that we thoroughly the Explorer, and the posts we have been to were all very different and all a lot of fun. I guess the only advice I can offer is to choose whichever cruise will make you happy - consider the different ports, research the different ships (probably best to do this on each of the cruise line's web sites), and just enjoy yourself!

You might want to consider looking at Frommer's Guide to Carrbbean Cruises and Ports of Call. It's a great book that will give you lots of information on just about all of the crusie lines and their ships and all the different ports of call. We always take a copy with us when we cruise so we are sure not to miss out on some of the wonderful sites in each port. It also makes the anticipation so much more fun! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I dont know your age but if you are younger than 55 I say go on Explorer, you may experience a younger crowd. I love all the RCCL ships and have done Celebrity but its usually an older crowd. Good luck on the weight loss, keep it up!! Also dont worry about the food choices on these ships, I stick to the South Beach diet with ease!!

without a doubt, The Explorer. I've been on both and there is no comparison. I am going on the Zenith to Bermuda in September because it's a 7 day cruise and the Explorer to Bermuda is only 5 days, so we chose the Zenith. If they were both 7 day cruises I wouldn't even consider the Zenith it would definitely be the Explorer but 5 days is just too short.

This will be my 2nd time on the Zenith so I know what to expect. It's a nice ship and it should be a good cruise. I've been on the Explorer 4 times and it's my favorite ship. There is so much more to do on the Explorer and 9 days to the Caribbean is great. You'll love the sea days also because of the ship. It's great.

Go with the Explorer. You won't be sorry.

Have a great cruise and Congratulations on the weight loss.

I'm over 55 and I love the Voyager-class ships! :) So I would say go with Explorer. I have been on the NCL Spirit, and it is one of my favorite ships, but I am not an NCL freestyle fan so would not recommend it.

Congratulations on the weight loss...maybe I can make a deal with my wife if I lose weight!

Jennifer

wow that is really wonderful... how long did it take you to loose the 50 pounds??

added to say I too would suggest the Explorer

This all depends on how disciplined you are. For me, if I was in your situation, I would have to choose a 4 day cruise because I would pack the 50 lbs right back on over the course of 9 days. But, heck that is why I can't even loose 5 lbs :)

So, now expecting that you MUST be an extemely disciplined and aware person, I would DEFINATLY pick the 9 nighter

For one it is my favorite line and I have always enjoyed visiting more ports vs. having a longer stay in less ports.

Congratulation to you on your weight loss, I am envious!

Jennifer

Congrats - I know what it feels like (and how hard you must have worked)as I just reached the 50lb mark myself!

I've been to all the ports you mention, except Tortola and San Juan. I am a big fan of RCCL and have been on a number of great cruises with them, including 3 to Bermuda. Bermuda is a fansastic cruise destination and the best place to dock in Bermuda imo is Hamilton. The Bermuda trip is excellent if you like being in the port more than being on the ship. It takes about a day and a half to get to Bremuda, but once you are there, you stay put for a few days and the ship becomes your hotel - and you come and go as you please.

If you like the "at sea" time on a cruise - take the Explorer. St Thomas, St. Maarten, and Labadi are all beautiful and the trip is 2 days longer.

Just be careful not to abandon your new eating habits and have agreat time.

Archived