Seville Spain

We are going to Seville for a few days and would like any information on what to see and do while there. I have rented a car so can you tell me about driving in and around the area? Also, what about crime? I have read a lot of things about the crime but would rather hear from people who have actually been there. Are there any easy to drive to beaches? Leaving soon, please help:)

We are going to Seville for a few days and would like any information on what to see and do while there. I have rented a car so can you tell me about driving in and around the area?

Where are you staying? We spent three days in Seville last October. We stayed in the Santa Cruz area, and found no lack of things to do in the immediate walking area, which included the Cathedral, the Alcazar, Casa de Pilatos, the Bullfighting Arena, a slew of other museums, and the Guadalquiver river. Are you sure you need the car? We would not have wanted to drive through the area near our hotel -- the streets are just too twisted and narrow (in some places, just barely a car and a person wide, and in some places, I was glad to find a doorway where I could get off the pavement :eek: ). Where we couldn't walk (or when we got too hot and tired) we found the cabs to be readily available and cheap enough, plus there is a bus system. There are several companies that do day trips to the outlying countryside, which might get you where you want to go outside of town without the necessity for a car.

We saw no crime (assuming that you mean pickpockets and other petty crime). That doesn't mean it isn't there. I think that the prevailing thought re: crime in general in Spain is to be alert and don't do things that make you look like an easy target.

MGC, would you please list the name of your hotel? My husband and are also going to Seville in a few months.

tlynnm, if you decide to forego the rental car (we're not renting one), I found a recommendation for a private tour that sounds great to see some of the outlying areas of Seville. We'd probably spend that much renting a car, and it's nice for us to just be driven around. It's http://www.theotherspain.galeon.com/index.html. We are using the Frommers info as a start for our planning, and there are suggested itineraries for Seville that sound good. See http://frommers.com/destinations/seville/0065020017.html.

There is a very nice board member named Fern who has helped me with my planning, and she said that you will need to avoid the gypsies that will approach you to sell flowers, etc. just as you would in Italy.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Seville is wonderful and I totally agree about not driving in the Santa Cruz area. We were there a couple of years ago and had a wonderful meal at a restaurant that had "Laurel" in the name. I believe it was part of a hotel there and perhaps it was called "Hostel del Laurel". We ate in the courtyard, drank Sangria and the food was great. The catedral is impressive and we stayed at a hotel right next to it called Dona Maria. Also, in front of the catedral you can hire a carriage for a 1-2 hour ride through town. We also saw a flamenco show in the Santa Cruz area. If you check out Rick Steves, he has terrific info for Seville. It's one of his favorites in Spain and his recommendations were right on target. You won't be disappointed visiting Seville!

We are actually staying in Sanlucar La Mayor, a few minutes from Seville so we may need a car to drive from the hotel and also wanted to go to the beach one day. Can Anyone recommend one within driving distance?

I can not wait to get there and have a sangria! We have never tried Tapas so can anyone tell us how to order them or just the "Tapa etiquette" in general, ha-ha.

I drove to Sevilla from Portugal a few years ago. Sevilla has to be the hardest city to drive in to and especially out of. I must of circled the city 2-3 times to get out. You really do not need a car while in the city. Also be prepared for temperatures over 100 degrees F. Sevilla is a beautiful city. We stayed at the Alfonso. There are many places to go to from Sevilla. Ronda is a beautiful old Andulusian town around 1 1/2 hours south of Sevilla. After Sevilla we drove to the Costa del Sol on the Med. Sea and stayed in Marbella, but that's a little too far for a day trip from Sevilla. It might be worth it to stay in Marbella after Sevilla, if only to recover from Sevilla's intense heat. I looked at mapquest and the coastline from Sevilla seems to be 1 hr away, but I don't know what kind of beaches are in that area. Look at a map of Spain. You'll see what I mean.

You will love the tapas! I spent many a night drinking Sangria and eating Tapas. The best! I also love the Serranno ham in Spain. Close to Proscuitto(?sp) but more flavorful. Have a great time!

We spent several day in Sevilla and it was our favorite city. We were there early May and the temps were pleasant. Summer is HOT. Lots to see and do but we parked and did not use our car. Not necessary to drive in Seville. Easy to walk all over or take a taxi. Lots of shopping on Calle Sierpes. We also went across the river to the pottery district...I believe it was Triana. Saw flamenco at Casa de Memorias....Cathedral...Christoper Columbus tomb.

Best part is the ambiance in the evening. If you are there on a Saturday eat in one of the plazas and watch the brides pass by. I stopped counting after 6.

We stayed at a family run, Hotel Amadeus.....great! From there we went to Malaga/Marbella about a three hour drive. Highways are super. One suggestion...use the Michelin site (like mapquest) and print out driving directions before you leave. Really helped.....in addition to the jamon serrano, try the zumo de naranja.

Enjoy,

Marty

MGC, would you please list the name of your hotel? My husband and are also going to Seville in a few months.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We stayed at Las Casas de la Juderia. We really liked it there, a good location, nice enough room and bathroom, interesting setting.

By the way, someone mentioned seeing a show at Casa de Memorias -- we thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw. It was about a block from the hotel. If you are thinking of going, plan on getting tickets ahead of time. It's a small venue and I imagine it sells out easily.

You can buy tickets for Casa de Memorias Flamenco show in the morning and then return for the evening show. We even hooked up with a guide at Casa Memorias who offered our small group a morning tour of the Juderia in Sevilla. There are no remaining synagogues (we did get to visit one in Cordoba) in Sevilla but the tour was fascinating and our guide very passionate. Worth asking about.....you would be amazed at what you will see in the "minicipal underground parking garage" in Sevilla!:(

Marty

We stayed at Las Casas de la Juderia. We really liked it there, a good location, nice enough room and bathroom, interesting setting.

Thank you! We had it narrowed down to that one or the Hotel Alfonso XIII (there's a really good special on that one), so we appreciate your feedback. The Las Casas de la Juderia looks lovely.

:) Donna

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favorate city anywhere!

Stay in the old gothic area.

Smell the jasmine and orange blossoms while wandering winding cobblestone streets...at night Tapas hop in the small cafes for wine and delicious snacks.

A ruly magical city...can't wait to return

We also stayed in the Santa Cruz area, also at hosteria del laurel. walk to everything,Cathedral, the Alcazar, Casa de Pilatos, cafes, shopping... very safe, I was traveling with my family but to their distress I am very independant young woman, and constantly went off on my own. I never once felt uncomfortable.

BIG HINT.. forget the car rental!!! in the Santa Cruz area streets are VERY narrow winding and extreemly difficult to manuver...Get a taxi to your hotel and you can walk to everything easily.

About 5 years ago we spent a month driving around Southern Spain and spending most nights in the wonderful Paradors (government owned hotels) on an itinerary planning by a good friend who has been going to Spain and Portugal for over 30 years. He convinced us to stay at a very special hotel in Seville called the Taberna Alabardaro http://www.tabernadelalabardero.com/primer.html

This turned out to be an amazing find...like a 5 star hotel in a perfect location for a fraction of the cost. This place is an old mansion in the heart of Sevilla which also has a wonderful restaurant and co-located cooking school.

They also operate a wonderful restaurant in Washington DC under the same name. They also have a 2nd restaurant within the hotel which is operated by the cooking school (the other restaurant is gourmet) which has great lunches cooked and served by the students (who are always supervised by the professors). We had a most amazing room in this hotel which had a large sleeping area on a raised platform and a wonderful lounge section with skylights. Its one of those "finds" that you only hear about by word of mouth.

Hank

Archived