Emerald Lake

misha1

Can anyone tell me how far of a drive it is to Emerald Lake from...is it Skagway? Is it worth renting a car just for that purpose? Are there shuttles like in Juneau for the Mendenhall Glacier? What is there to do once there? Tried to do a search but did not find many answers to these questions. Thanks

According to Murray's guide it is 73.5 miles from Skagway. It's not just Emerald Lake but all the sights along the way that make this drive worth it. I'll be doing it for the second time in a little over three weeks. Here's the link to Murray's guide: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

The trip is quite scenic and wonderful. We were just there in June and saw just about everything from deer, to bears, to moose - from snow, to lush green, to the small CarCross desert! We took our time and stopped numerous times along the drive (both directions) - it took us about 5 to 5.5 hours to make the trip leisurely (stopping to snap photos, watch some bears, and to have ice cream at Matthew's general store in CarCross). Once at Emerald Lake it is amazing colors and worth the trip.

Enjoy!

We've been to Skagway 2X on cruise ships - the last time we finally broke down and rented and Avis rental car and, following Murray Lundberg's drive by mile-markers, we made the trip up to Emerald Lake. Absolutely spectacular. Can't begin to describe the wonder of it all. And Murray's guide by milemarker made all so meaningful - you know exactly what you are looking at when you stop at specific mile markers.

We are going back next May again and I've already rented the car. Wouldn't do it any other way. Plus: when we returned the car in Skagway we had plenty of time to walk around town and shop. The car rental building is a short walk from the pier.

Have fun - this is a GREAT trip we still talk about. (Oh! and Emerald Lake and the World's Smallest Desert are just unbelieve sights!)

We were very glad we went w/ Chilkoot tours the first time there, it was a great experience, but having wet our feet w/ the tour we talked about renting a car and using Murray's guide the next time (hopefully there will be a next time!!) to do it on our own. Either way, it's got to be a great trip! Don't forget your passports~!!

We are going back next May again and I've already rented the car. Wouldn't do it any other way. Plus: when we returned the car in Skagway we had plenty of time to walk around town and shop. The car rental building is a short walk from the pier.

I tried to reserve a car with Avis on-line today for May 25 2007, but it wouldn't let me. Is it too early to make the reservation? Will I have better luck calling Avis directly? Is Avis the only car rental place in Skagway?

Thanks

Archived