Anyone been to Fiji for a holiday (other than a cruise)

I was just wondering. I know this is a cruise forum and I absolutely love cruising. I have been on 9 cruises with pacific Sky and 1 on pacific Sun. I think it is the best holiday in the world! :p

My question is, and I know the cruises do sometimes go to Fiji. I wanted to know if anyone has been to both Fiji for a holiday, (without being on a cruise) and a also on a cruise. Someone who has done both who can comment?

My family have been to fiji a few times and they say I should go there and I am considering it. And then I am thinking of going on a cruise after that! (Once I saved enough money!)

What does everyone think about Fiji and how does it compare to cruising? Thankyou. :)

ive never been on a cruise to fiji.. but i did not like it at all.. i stayed in a 4 and a half star resort.. and it had sh!t standards, beautiful place though on the coral coast. maybe im just picky because on a cruise they do everything for you hehe:rolleyes:

nadi is a hole.. the people drive crazy, i was scared lol..

i never went to suva, but mum has she said she hated it, it was dirty and you have to be careful in the shops..

even though i didnt like the place (apart from the weather n beach at the resort) i would consider going there on a cruise.. they r always longer cruises which go there.. and if it is that awful u can always step back onto the ship:D

Thanks for that! I have heard that it is better to stay at an island resort in the Yasawa Islands or Mamanuca Islands rather than a mainland resort. I have heard Fiji is beautiful, so long as you don't stay in the Nadi/Denarau/Suva area or else you would be disappointed.;)

I know this isn't really cruise critic related, but I have been thinking of a holiday to Fiji for me and my partner, just a change from cruising. Which of course I still love!

But then, I read reviews on here and see photos and read the forums and I want to go on a cruise all over again! Trouble is, I can't make up my mind! The South Pacific is beautiful anyway. :)

ive never been on a cruise to fiji.. but i did not like it at all.. i stayed in a 4 and a half star resort.. and it had sh!t standards, beautiful place though on the coral coast. maybe im just picky because on a cruise they do everything for you hehe:rolleyes:

nadi is a hole.. the people drive crazy, i was scared lol..

i never went to suva, but mum has she said she hated it, it was dirty and you have to be careful in the shops..

even though i didnt like the place (apart from the weather n beach at the resort) i would consider going there on a cruise.. they r always longer cruises which go there.. and if it is that awful u can always step back onto the ship:D

What resort did you stay at?

We have stayed twice at the Shangri-la's Fijian resort on Yanuca Island. It is an Island connected by a bridge not really out in the middle of nowhwere. I loved it. I believe is is being/has been renovated recently.

The resort was lovely and the staff very friendly. They had a few activities and wonderful things for kids to do. Pool was great but no swim up bar. I guess some things were a bit hit and miss. The aircon didn't work one night and I didn't enjoy that. Everything is "Fiji Time" which is kind of whenever it happens.

I loved the holiday as it was basically lazing around the pool and doing nothing.

Outside of the resorts Fiji is not as nice. Geography wonderful but their standard of living is nowhere near as nice as ours.

Have visited Suva as a port on a cruise and didn't like it very much.

hehe "fiji time" isnt too great when your waiting on dinner, towels..

when we were over there, 2 days before we left there was a storm.. then 4 the rest of the time, the tap water/shower was brown:eek: ..

i was so happy coming back home to sydney.. but the weather in fiji(usually) and scenery is great..

stick with cruising.. at least u wont get bored or feel unsafe

Only been there on a cruise (this year to Suva & Yasawa-I-Rara).

I wouldn't go for a land based holiday to Suva, but I would like to explore the islands a bit more, friends did a cruise around the Fijian Islands for their honeymoon and they are always saying how beautiful it was stopping at all the little out of the way places. I'd also like to see Nadi which I've been told by people who've been to both there and Suva is much nicer than Suva.

We have been to Fiji twice loved it stayed at Naviti Resort on the coral coast it is all inclusive..The staff are fantastic....Also stayed on Plantation Island the beach was crystal clear....We want to go back again it is a very relaxing holiday....

We stayed at Outrigger Reef (now called Outrigger On The Lagoon) a 5 star resort along the Coral Coast and absolutely loved it. We are normally pretty busy on our holidays rushing around trying to see everything but this time we just relaxed. I went into Nadi once by myself on the hotel shuttle and there was not much there. Plus, I didn't feel particularly safe. Other people we met said not to bother going to Suva as that was even worse.

The resort was fantastic and we really had no need to leave there. Our daughter who was 4 at the time also loved it. The kid's club was good and they had their own section at the main restaurant where they could eat from a buffet with a different selection of items at every meal time.

There were always plenty of activities organised at the hotel and we really had no need to go looking for other things to do outside of the resort. Only downside it that it's a long hike from Perth and would go for longer if we went again.

Overall, a fantastic holiday. What was even better was that we won it :)

We have booked our first cruise for Jan 2007 on the Pacific Sun N704 Tranquil Blues...can't wait...sooooooo excted. Can you tell?? ;)

Archived