Hop on/hop off cruising?

Sarahlou

Hi all. I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been asked before!

I'm going to be in Cancun (Mexico) at the end of August and want to be up with my partner in St Lucia or Barbados 4/5 days later. Is it possible to join an existing cruise (assuming one is passing!) and get off before the end of the cruise? I've not cruised before but have always been interested so this would give me a taste of this type of holiday.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

For the traditional cruise lines, more than likely not. But, there is another cruise line (can't remember the name: Orange something, I think) that allows you to cruise any or all of the ports whenever and wherever they are sailing. It's a big difference from traditional cruising where all the food and entertainment are included. This one only includes the transportation (cruise itself) and a place to sleep. Everything else is extra (food price per person, per day, etc.). I'll do some research and find out the name of that line.

Well, I found it. It's EasyCruise. But, they don't have any Caribbean cruises listed anymore. It's all European cruises right now. Maybe they switch off during different times of the year. If it were me, I'd start calling cruiselines to see if you can Hop on/Hop off and go from there. I'm guessing they say no. But, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for that 2cruise4ever. Given that it's (I think) low season for Caribbean cruises in Sept. would it be worth me contacting the cruise operators directly to see if they would consider it? If so which would be the best to approach?

Sarahlou.

i really doubt it --in order for you to be accomodated the cruiseline would have to sail with an empty cabin so they have one for you when you board-------------------really doubt if they would do it that they would let you back on board without a surcharge of some sort

I'd think it would have a lot more to do with security than an available cabin! I'm pretty sure there's no way they'd let anybody just get on/off ships without the proper clearance like they do before we cruise - Homeland Security would probably simply not allow it.

I mean, anybody could be a terrorist - get on the ship, plant a bomb - and get off before it blows!:eek: So - I'm pretty sure the answer would be NO WAY. I would hope that would be the case.

You would have to pay for the entire cruise at single supplement rates and if you got off, you would only get a portion of your cruise. NO refunds for unused days and no per diem rates. EasyCruise does that, but only in the winter in the Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean has cruises out of San Juan on August 20 and September 3. RT San Juan, visits both St. Lucia and Barbados. That may be an idea.

You will definitely have to call the cruiseline directly or get a very good TA. Get in touch with guest relations, NOT CSR that answers the phone. I'm not going to get into it, but there is a US rule, PSA (do a search for VERY long responses), which prevents you from doing this most of the time. There are exceptions AND you can sometimes pay a fine (but that just adds to the cost of a very expensive cruise, anyway).

Windjammer has cruises out of St. Lucia. 6 days-in St. Lucia days 1, 2 and 6. Tour around other islands on days 3,4,5. You would not be restricted on that cruise as far as getting off the ship, but you would pay a high price for three or four days cruising. Windjammer is high priced to begin with and nothing like a cruise ship.

Not sure I agree with all that is being said on this topic for a few reasons.

If Homeland Security has a problem with it as some have indicated, it makes no sense. A suicide bomber is not going to care about getting off before the bomb blows!

Some of the entertainers join the ships for a few nights and leave before the final destination. Staff transfer from one ship to another or join a ship at intervening ports.

When we were in the Med last year, several passenegrs got on in Malta for the trip to Venice. I am also pretty sure our neighbouring cabin was empty when we left Venice and was occupied later. We never actually met them, so cannot be 100% sure.

I suggest the OP approach the cruise line and ask - they can only say, "no"

This issue doesn't really have anything to do with Homeland Security, but everything to do with a law called the Passenger Services Act. Because of that law, and any cruise ship that departs or returns from a US port (and that includes San Juan), they do not allow people to just join a cruise in the middle and leave when they want. This issue is different with regards to entertainers and crew, as they receive special waivers for this, but passengers cannot get such a waiver. There are large fines for anyone who violates the PSA and cruise lines don't pay those fines, they pass it off to the passenger who violates the law.

I guess I have to ask, why not just fly from Cancun to St. Lucia and why bother with a cruise? It's much quicker and a whole lot cheaper to fly. Even if the law allowed you to do this, the cruise line would charge you the full amount for the cruise, regardless of how many days you would actually be on the ship. And, there's really no such thing as low season anymore for cruises. August is a very popular time to cruise and cruise ships are going out at capacity.

Archived