Your best or favorite souvenir from Hawaii???

Lydia B.

Ok, going to Hawaii next April, already excited and doing reserach. From those of you who have already went, what was your favorite or best souvenir?? No not the line of credit you had to continue to pay for months or your tan...you favorite buy or momento from the Islands. Share and tell us what you got and where??? Thanks, Lydia

Ok....this is sort of a chick thread, but what the heck.

I have a special spot in my heart for the photo of my Mom standing in the surf at the Royal Waikoloan - she had longed to travel, but had given it up as just a dream until we presented her with a trip to Hawai'i. Same goes for the shots we have of when my sister, her hubby and a good friend of ours came out last year to celebrate our 25th anniversay (this turned out to be especially poignant when my friend discovered she had terminal cancer and it represented her last trip.

However - for fun purchases, which I think is what this thread was all about - a white mumu that I got at Hilo Hatties. It's fancier than most and every time I wear it, I'm back in Hawai'i. Also the ukulele that I brought back for a former co-employee's son...heh, heh, heh.

Charlie

I love the memories but my favorite souvenior was the palm flowers and bowls made by the locals. There is just something about watching them make the items out of palm fronds and bringing them home.

Second best was the goodies from the two chocolate factories we went to.

My favorite were the Macadamia Nut chocolate clusters we purchased at an ABC store in Lahaina, Maui. They were made by a famous Hawaiian candy company (can'r recall name, but it was on the box) and they were only 1.99 a box and DELICIOUS! LOVE those ABC stores!

The best thing I bought in Hawaii was a beautiful flower lei for a few dollars in the gift shop at the airport. We were sad that we were leaving the beautiful islands. It was a small way to take a bit of Hawaii home with me. I wore it all of the way home.

It was great fun to walk around the terminal at LAX waiting for our connecting flight. I could hear several women comment "Oh she is just getting back from Hawaii" with envy in their voices. A few came up to ask "How was our trip to Hawaii and which islands did we go to?"

I believe that the lei was made from fragapani blossoms, but am not sure. The flowers were white with a touch of pink in them and the smell was the most wonderful smell,that I still remember to this day. I can't wait to go back and get another one.

The CD's by the Cazimero Brothers, (not for sale in Europe) and play them already while driving around the islands.

After visiting Hawaii again after many, many years................the 1st Pina Colada in the Mai-Tai Bar of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel - with view over Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head.

And of course the many photos we took of our trip.

The best thing I bought in Hawaii was a beautiful flower lei for a few dollars in the gift shop at the airport. We were sad that we were leaving the beautiful islands. It was a small way to take a bit of Hawaii home with me. I wore it all of the way home.

It was great fun to walk around the terminal at LAX waiting for our connecting flight. I could hear several women comment "Oh she is just getting back from Hawaii" with envy in their voices. A few came up to ask "How was our trip to Hawaii and which islands did we go to?"

I believe that the lei was made from fragapani blossoms, but am not sure. The flowers were white with a touch of pink in them and the smell was the most wonderful smell,that I still remember to this day. I can't wait to go back and get another one.

Definitely sounds like plumeria. It browns easily though if you don't keep it cold. :(

Spleen

I had to bring a couple pairs of these home. So comfy and can get wet so great for just wearing to the pool, etc. I also loved the coconut pancake syrup - Hilo Hatties used to sell it online, but no more. :( Oh well, will just have to look for more when I go the end of July. :D

Ok, going to Hawaii next April, already excited and doing reserach. From those of you who have already went, what was your favorite or best souvenir?? No not the line of credit you had to continue to pay for months or your tan...you favorite buy or momento from the Islands. Share and tell us what you got and where??? Thanks, Lydia

Ok....this is sort of a chick thread, but what the heck.

My favorite souvienirs are allways what I buy from the local craftspeople. Beuaitiful shell jewelry or quilts or picture frames. I like the local crafts faires and also when they have tables in the hotels, and you know who made them with their own hands (and not a factory in Asia:() and you can have lovely chats with them and find out local tips also for sightseeing and places to eat.:) The more you do this the more you develope a connection with your destination!:)

First a couple of I wish I hadn't! Bought one of those hand carved punchbowls with matching punch cups while in Hawaii on our honeymoon almost 30 years ago, what a pain to tote thru the airport - didn't trust to check it - and the box broke open halfway home (no duct tape to be found!). Haven't used it enough to make it worth the struggle to get it home.

We also bought the matching his and hers Hawaiian garb - just not what you wear in Michigan - and it doesn't fit anymore (must have shrunk :)

Best thing we brought home, pictures - every time we look at them we are back there again. Every time I smell jasmine tea it smells like the breezes there.

Going again Oct 07 - 30 years later!

Archived