Western Caribbean Excursions

unclepaulie

We're booked on the Dawn for Western Caribbean in December, and would love to hear more about the various excursions, level of difficulty and level of enjoyment. We'd be particularly interested in Belize jungle canopy zip lines to tubing/cave tours to Mayan Ruins, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting the feeling that only a few of our CC members have gone on the western itinerary. We have sooooo many questions. I'll continue to try and find what I can in the archives, but would sure appreciate some recent information.

It appears as if some areas are still closed/rebuilding from Hurricane Wilma. True?

Thus far we're under the impression that we'll have to tender at most of the ports, which is a slight inconvenience when scurrying to get to an excursion on time. True?

We saw a post elsewhere that there are more Mayan ruins in Cozumel than Belize. True?

Decisions, decisions.....

We've done the Western Caribbbean twice on the old NCL Sea. Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Cancun. Have you looked under the ports of call board for information? All the ports except Cancun are quite active there.

I've posted information on the Belize board about both the Altun Ha and Lamanai ruins. From Cozumel, we went to Tulum once and Dzul Ha the other trip. Roatan was Tabyana Beach the first cruise, and the dolphin experience the 2nd.

Belize definitely has more ruins than Cozumel. There are several there to choose from. I don't remember if there are any ruins -- maybe one small site?? -- right on Cozumel. The main ruins tour from there is to go to the mainland and go to Tulum. If your cruise calls at Playa del Carmen for an hour before moving to Cozumel, like some of the NCL itineraries for next year, it would make it lots easier to get to Tulum than taking the ferry both ways.

Which ports are you going to? I don't think Cancun is on the itinerary for next year, but there was significant hurricane damage there. Cozumel was also damaged by Wilma, but they're done a pretty good job with most of the tourst sites reopened, if not in the same condition they were pre-hurricane.

Have fun planning!

Thank you ute-fan!

I've been digging through the ports of call threads and there is a lot of information there. It would still be nice to filter it for just Dawn cruises, but I'll have to take what I can get! LOL!

The 12/17 itinerary is GSC, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, & Jamaica.

Will we tender at most of these ports? Anyone? (I know we do at GSC.)

GSC - Obviously a beach day. Went there this month and enjoyed it.

Cozumel - This will probably be partially a beach day for us. Paradise Bay Beach was recommended. Looks very nice!

Belize - I'd like to see some of the ruins. It looks like cave tubing is pretty popular with mixed reviews. It would be great to hear from some who have done the zip lines too. (I'll have to continue reading, because someone posted that safety is a concern in Belize City. ???)

Roatan - Probably some more beach time. Thus far we're looking at West Bay Beach. http://www.travel-to-honduras.com/photo/1833-99/A_Real_Caribbean_Beach;_West_B.htm

Grand Cayman - Haven't a clue on that yet.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Will be Christmas Day, but someone said businesses will be open. Still have to look into our options there.

A lot to think about, but we do have plenty of time. Just looking for feedback and any/all is appreciated!

Grand Cayman - Haven't a clue on that yet.

Swim with the string rays. From what I've done and read, most excursions are the same no matter the ship you are sailing.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Will be Christmas Day, but someone said businesses will be open. Still have to look into our options there.

Climb the falls. Lots of fun loved this tour. Would do it agian if I went there again.

I did both these tours on my own with researching the port section.

The port boards will give you more info then you need. lol It might as it has done to me but you in overload. lol

Remember planning is half the fun.

Thank you, Judy! We've just read several threads about the falls and I do think we'll be going there. (Were the steps in the falls slippery?)

For anyone remotely curious about my fact finding missions (LOL!) I found this info for the Dawn's western caribbean itinerary, dating back to March this year:

GSC (Tender) - Of course we know that.

Cozumel, Mexico (Tender) - The piers were still in shambles from Hurricane Wilma

Belize City, Belize (Tender)

Roatan, Honduras (Docked)

Georgetown, Grand Cayman (Tender)

Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Docked)

I'm interested to see that your itinerary includes Roatan, as it has been eliminated from most of the NCL cruises. RCCL has acquired the pier in Roatan, so I'll be curious to see if you dock or tender there. If you're in port the same day as any RCCL ships, my bet would be on tendering.

We almost went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but ended up doing a snorkeling excursion to Dzul Hawith several folks from our roll call. So far my favorite excursion in Belize is Lamanai, I think. We enjoyed Altun Ha, and enjoyed the weather more that day, but the river trip to Lamanai was great. I think my family's memories of Lamanai are tainted by the 95 degrees, 90 percent humidity, but I bet it would be nicer than that in December.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the western back in march on the Dawn.

Jamaica: we walked to the tourist village and spent the afternoon on the beach in Margaritaville. Kids enjoyed the beach and the pool slide.

Grand Cayman: we did Soto cruises snorkling and swimming with the stingrays.

Roatan: Roatan Cab Tours(Diana Dixon) for island tour they will take you anywhere you want. He took us to a small beach area to go snorkling and toured the whole island. Very friendly , brand new van. really let you plan your whole day as you wanted.

Belize: We used Margret Montero to go to altun Ha very reasonable and friendly. Relaxing tour. Our guide grew up on the ruins site.

Cozumel: We were there on a sunday many shops were closed but we just walked along the waterfront and shopped.

GSC: Bring your own snorkling equipment. Great area to snorkel. Beach picnic provided ny NCL also little shopping area.

Pics of cruise Dawn 3.26.2006

http://community.webshots.com/user/Michu142

It was a great cruise I am sure you will enjoy it we did.

Archived