How Did You Enjoy Crown Ports Of Call?

Gigi1220

Grand Turk

Those that rented the dune buggys had an hour and a half trip I believe for $89. Pricey since there is very little to see.This books up and wil not be available by the time you get there. I heard the trolley ride was a rip and there was no guide explaining sites. There really is very little here but Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. This has an incredible pool and if you want to use it there doesn't seem to be any need to eat or drink to do so. It is the best thing. The kids got back on the ship but we went there and thought they would hav enjoyed it if they'd come too.

The hop on hop off was pricey since there was really no where to go and not much to see. The consensus is don't get off at the first stop (not much there) since you'll have to wait quite awhile to get on again.

Of course, there is the gift shops that you walk throgh to access the island. All the usual booze, bags, hats, watches and glasses you could possibly need!!

Jamaica

Dunns River Falls was great. We then rode through Fern Gully which was beautiful. We had a great guide who usually takes guests to the village to see the kids at their school. It was Sunday so I was disappointed. I had brought lots of kids books along for them since I knew this was usually done.

The poverty here is devastating to see. My visual of Jamaica is forever changed but I thought we were lucky to do the falls and bus trip with Peat Taylor. Google him he is VERY popular and less than the ship sponsored tour by a lot. He also takes people to the river tubing which I/we originally planned to do but the kids pooped out. The falls were a workout but great fun. The people who get there by katamaran love that part too(also independant).

Grand Cayman

If you've never seen the stingrays you should go. You can book online, onshore or by ship. Rates are regulated and I believe are about $40 pp though the ship may get more.

I had been twice so planned to visit the Seven Mile Beach by taxi. I didn't get there it was sooooo hot but those who did said it was terrific. I was sorry I was lazy and missed that. Because the ship was so nice the boys just didn't care if they went or not. Tendering is a drag too.

Port Canaveral

I did not want to bum rush the space center for an abbreviated trip. To do this justice I think more time is optimal. We chose to postpone till another longer day would be possible.

Also, on this day anyone scheduled for this excursion must arrive at 6:40 for the immigration check before heading out. I was glad I didn't have to be there till 8 or after. Something to consider...

Hope this helps.

Grand Turk

We just went to Margaritaville and hung out at the pool for a couple of hours. From what I have read on CC, there doesn't seem to be many choices out there for excursions. Margaritaville has a very nice pool. There is an MC/DJ there that hollers into the mic and plays loud music with too much hip hop in my opinion. ;) To be honest with you, the one lasting memory I had of Grand Turk were the mosquito bites we got while laying at the pool. :D They itched for at least the next four days. I thought I was swatting them off in time, but I ended up with half a dozen bites.

Here are some pictures of the island from the ship as well as a shot of Margaritaville. Sorry the top of the ship's bridge is in the way.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYuHLho2cM3Wg&notag=1

Ocho Rios

We got off the ship to walk around and were confronted by many over eager 'cab drivers'. "You need a cab, mon?" "How about a joint, mon?" This was non-stop so we just headed back to the ship after about a half hour. I didn't feel terribly safe at this port. I hope to someday get back to Jamaica and enjoy the positive things it has to offer in a safer environment. If I go back to this port in the future, we will either take a ship booked excursion or just stay on the ship.

Grand Cayman

This is the one port I wanted to explore. We had booked with Native Way for the Sting Rays, snorkeling and Rum Point Beach. When we arraived, the Captain said there was a 30% chance of rain. Well, while we were tendering in an open air boat there was a down pour and we got soaked inside the boat. Before tendering I looked at the clouds from the ship and it looked like it could be a nasty day. We just headed back to the ship. Since we didn't prepay for the excursion, no harm no foul.

Cape Canaveral

Since we awoke at 10:00 am there wasn't much for us to do. To arrive at 7AM and leave 1PM just doesn't leave much room to do anything, at least from what I have heard. I doubt that little bit of time would do a tour at the space center any justice. IMO, this stop was an a waste. Another location would have been nicer, but hey, since we hadn't left the ship much it didn't matter to us anyways.

To be honest, I think the stops on the cruise were less than desireable. I wish our first Carribean experience would have been nicer, it was the price paid for sailing on her maiden voyage.

The ship was so nice that we didn't feel bad about not really enjoying the ports, not that we went out of our way in an attempt to.;)

Oh that reminds me...we did lose a few people that succumbed to the lure of weed sellers. I was told the sellers were the ones that alerted the authorities and the buyers were searched as they attempted to return to the ship. Otherwise how would they have known to search them. I feel bad that these young people were foolish but happy it happened in a place where they were able to escape with hefty fines instead of a much worse fate. They were lucky.

On my very first cruise to Mexico (1992) I remember being told to avoid the sellers at all cost because this type of sting was very common.

Oh that reminds me...we did lose a few people that succumbed to the lure of weed sellers. I was told the sellers were the ones that alerted the authorities and the buyers were searched as they attempted to return to the ship. Otherwise how would they have known to search them. I feel bad that these young people were foolish but happy it happened in a place where they were able to escape with hefty fines instead of a much worse fate. They were lucky.

On my very first cruise to Mexico (1992) I remember being told to avoid the sellers at all cost because this type of sting was very common.

You would think the cruise line would put out a warning about this..... Then again maybe the local authorities do not want them to know.

Even getting it on board, if they hoped to get it home I wonder if they though about customs and immigration. We arrived in Jacksonville and as I got off the ship I was met by a narc and a drug sniffing dog in the baggage area.

Wow thanks for those pics, it really shows you how bare the place is! You guys had a diff schedule than I will though but it is nice to know about Turk...

My trip goes to

Grand Turk

St. Thomas

Puerto Rico

Bermuda

Last time I checked...Princess hadnt even put up the excursions for Bermuda and I leave 9/3! Oh well. In Turk we are going snorkeling out on a boat...hopefully that will be fun!

Anyone do the "Trolley Train to Governor's Beach and Snorkeling" Excursion? Is the beach nice? Is it worth the $32 pp fee?

From posts that I have read...you can walk to gov beach and the trolly is not worth it...thats why I booked a snorkel excursion on this island that takes you out to the reefs...this way we can enjoy the other islands that have more to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone go to Cocoa beach in Port Canveral? Did you take a taxi or rent a car? What was the cost of either the taxi or the rental car? Did you think it was worth if for the amount of time you had? thanks for the information

We went on the inaugural voyage of the Crown and did the power snorkling at Grand Turk. It was interesting using the ski-doo device but there was not much to see, a pretty fish here and there. We had done some snorkling at Cocoa Cay and in St Thomas that had schools of exotic fish.

In Ochos Rios, we took the Walkerwood Jerk tour but the factory was closed because it was a Sunday. This tour included the Pottery workshop which had the most interesting designs on pottery I have ever seen, and we finished with climbing Dunn's Falls. IN Grand Cayman, we too got soaked on the tender but the rains stopped soon after and we were to get wet anyway when we visited the stingrays and got to feed them. We then went to Hell which was basically a souvenir shop with some rock formations as a back yard and a wooden cut out of a devil. The final stop was the turtle farm which I found more interesting than I thougth I would. They are beautiful creatures. Not much time at Port Canaveral, we took a cab into Cocoa Village where I met an old friend. We got there at 9:15 after going thru immigration. Many shops only opened at 11 and we had to be back at the ship before 1. All in all, the ports were not outstanding but we made the best of them that we could in the time we had..........

We went to Grand Turk in April and the port wasn't quite "done" but we did the dune buggies and thought it was well worth it. .the island is very picturesque and the view from some of the stops was just awesome.. out along the salt flats and at the lighthouse. The trek was fun, over roads that you wouldn't normally see... not a huge "shore tour" fan but next to America's Cup in St Maarten which we are doing again in October, this and Princess' tour (no, not Nativeway but Princss) to Stingray City are my top 3 favs out of probably 10-12 I've tried over the last 20 years.

• 3 weeks later...
We went to Grand Turk in April and the port wasn't quite "done" but we did the dune buggies and thought it was well worth it. .the island is very picturesque and the view from some of the stops was just awesome.. out along the salt flats and at the lighthouse. The trek was fun, over roads that you wouldn't normally see... not a huge "shore tour" fan but next to America's Cup in St Maarten which we are doing again in October, this and Princess' tour (no, not Nativeway but Princss) to Stingray City are my top 3 favs out of probably 10-12 I've tried over the last 20 years.

Hey on the stingray thing from what i heard it was only stingrays and no other real fish were around...can you confirm this? I am registered to do the Ultimate Snorkel in GTurk and was actually weighing the two out.

We did the snorkel and clear bottom kayak. I am normally anti ship excurisions, but this one was great!! The snorkeling right off the beach downtown (not much of a downtown, which is great imo) was FABULOUS! Crand Cayman was better, but nothing beats GC in the Caribbean.

Archived